Eagle1's wonderings

Matters of general interest
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Eagle1's wonderings

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Isnt it strange that when a fellow aviator dies it affects all of us even if we did not personally know the pilot. I have been reading about the accidents over the weekend and even though I did not know the pilots involved - I feel utterly depressed and feel heartsore for their families. It is a special community we belong to ....... I really feel for those families left behind.

Lets start a tradition that once a year we all get together and a squadron fly a "missing man" for all our fellow aviators lost that year (or over the last 10 years) so that they wont be forgotten.
Coyote
Life looks better from 2000 ft
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:44 pm

It sure does leave one distraught, yet more positive to want to stay alive and enjoy future flying and living.
It dulls, yet sharpens, the mind at the same time.
It awakens an awareness of how sudden a life can be changed, how a granted status quo can change overnight. And how the surviving partner's (and children) life will be changed indefinitely.

The thought of an annual get-together for our missing fellows is noble. Personally I am someone who, having lost 7 friends through flying, shut the door after each funeral, although I would do my best to retain contact with the surviving partner.

Aviation has brought the best of friendships into my, and my partner's, lives.

A "In Memorium" sticky might be another suggestion to pay respects.

I wish to pay my respects to all lost lives, especially through aviation.
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:56 pm

I lost a very good friend in 2006 to aviation and often wonder if people remember their friends. Our lives are sooooo busy and fast, we tend to brush things of importance off and carry on treading the wheel. I dont live in the past but sometimes feel that if I had to die doing what I loved - I would like to be remembered even if it is only once a year.
Coyote
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Eagle1, I dont know if we are both drinking the same thing or what but I have this to say and to add to what you have said...

I got my HPPL in 1991, at the ripe age of 33. (17 years.. SHEEZ, where did they go?) My business partners and friends said they didn't think I would make 40. They took out key-man insurance and all sorts of things expecting me to go in. I did (once) but nobody was hurt. As it turned out, not even my ego.. .be that as it may, I have made an incredible number of extremely good friends, met the most awesome people and generally would not swap my aviation experiences for anything. The really sad part is that we lose friends along the way sometimes. The questions will never be answered, remember that we lose friends in the normal course of life too, sometimes, so lets not blame aviation.

I also lost a close friend in Sean, who you refer to, I think. (we shared the same surname and whenever people asked if we were brothers I said "not by blood, but we are"). I totally support your idea of a 'missing man' once a year or at least a sticky on the forum... "lest we forget!".

During Instructors training I read somewhere that an old, high-time instructor, always dreaded hearing about a students passing, and that he felt guilt when he heard it was not as a result of flying. That he would always feel partly responsible for perhaps not doing his job properly and was relieved when he heard it was a car crash or natural causes. I can relate.

I was told an aweful story tonight about someone who knowingly took off with fuel leaking out of his machine resulting in a horrible burn accident. How easily this could have been avoided! I felt relief that I did not witness this and know that my conscience would bother me if I had 'allowed' it with the result that it did.

We are all brothers in aviation and we owe it to each other to be ultra safe wherever we can. We also owe it to our 'brothers' to inform them of accidents and incidents from which they may learn and be safer. The rest is in the hands of the Gods.

Don't ever say "At least he died doing what he loved" at my funeral should I die from an aviation incident. I did not love the idea of dying and have spent my life trying not to. I love flying, but not enough to die for it. That priviledge is reserved for my loved ones.

Ok, so call me a sentimental old fart, I turn 50 tomorrow and perhaps I am slap-bang in the middle of my mid-life crisis... who cares, been dating young girls and driving fast cars and flying and living life to the limit all along but I dread nothing more than losing another friend, EVER.

So, if nothing else, please, please all that read this, err on the side of safety and if there is a doubt... DON'T. Also, put your ego in your pocket and share your F@ckups with others so that they can avoid them.

Aviators are the bitchiest gossip-mongers I have ever come across but also the best bunch of guys that share a common passion you will ever find. Lets all up our game and be proud to be called aviators.

I sure know who will drop everything to help me when the chips are down.

I sleep well knowing this.

I salute all of you, past and present.

Len
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 pm

I cant add any more.........
Coyote
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 pm

Its never easy to lose a friend. Go through the posts of every sad and tragic incident on this site and you will see men and woman who often didnt know the person pay their individual respects. Either with a prayer, a short verse, just to add condolences or acknowledge the passing of a member, and that my fellow aviators is what binds us and makes us the fraternity that we are.

Len my friend, though I have never met you, I respect you enormously and echo Eagle 1's sentiment. You really did put that beautifully. Happy 50th Birthday mate - !!

To the rest of us, let us fly as safe as we possibly can. To those lost along the way we do and will continue, to miss you.... to my friends on this forum, I swear I will knock you out if you ever fly unsafely s062
RV9
DISH
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks Dish, (^^)

Eagle1 speaks highly of you and I look forward to meeting you.

PS, I like the 'knock you out' comment and think we should all be more assertive when things aren't 100%. From what I hear you are more than capable in that area. :lol:
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:12 am

I think there are a shortlist of aviators that have not lost friends. I have done the eulogy at two of my flying mates funerals and I hope never to do one again.

A few other topics can be spawned from this, but will leave for another time.

On a happier note - Jetranger Happy 50th Sir. You now qualify to be an ole fart :wink:

This specially for you - a poem by a namesake of mine:
Let me die a young man's death
not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns
burst in and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a young man's death
not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death
And always remember - no person has ever laid on their death beds and said 'I should have spent more time in the office' :wink:
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 am

JetRanger wrote:<SNIP
Aviators are the bitchiest gossip-mongers I have ever come across but also the best bunch of guys that share a common passion you will ever find. Lets all up our game and be proud to be called aviators.
<SNIP>
DITTO! s023
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Great Poem Skybound. Thanks, I take it to heart. My motto has always been "you're only as old as the woman you feel" !!! :lol:
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:18 pm

I lost my then best friend in life and in aviation in 1978 1st June and must say I still think of him all the time, he was in the SAAF and still today I wonder what would Philip be flying today if he was alive,but in advance we created for some reason, a memory for him by naming our eldest son after him before he died in the Impala at Uitenhage. We were both in the SAAF at the time. That was an accident but lately to many pilot errors, it must be avoided.

Know your limits as well as the a/c and dont go beyond, that is my motto.

Talk is cheap but money buy's the whisky.
If you are still around you can buy a round but on the other side???????????????????????????????????????????????????
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper