MISASA App. Exempt. on 2-Stroke Engine Maintenance Schedule

Matters of general interest
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

MISASA App. Exempt. on 2-Stroke Engine Maintenance Schedule

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 am

MISASA Application for Exemption on 2-Stroke Engine Maintenance Schedule

OK This is important, GO READ the whole article, (and the portions leading up to it for that matter)

I am actually getting tired to double posting these things (one on MISASA website one here), but I still think it necessary in recent times! :twisted: :P :roll:

What you need to understand THIS is the first step to get some OFFICIAL relief, they were denied to go the FULL hog.
On the owner maintenance issue, the Commissioner rejected our proposal where he simply issues an AIC to clear the matter up
I have seen the documents Mike is referring to, very comprehensive, legally, technically etc, they did their homework! I just hope they can at least get some kind of leeway on this with CAA, because this will pave they way for the BIGGER picture initiatives. It was the CAA's suggestion to go this route first. So let us hope it gets through!
At the meeting on Friday the previous week, the Commissioner requested that the Aero Club apply for an exemption (we haven’t done it through MISASA because it affects other sections of the Aero Club as well) as the best way to deal with this issue.
Any case you can provide your Feedback on the bottom of the article, it will go directly to Mike.

http://misasa.flyeaaforum.com/?p=456

Kind Regards
Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: MISASA App. Exempt. on 2-Stroke engine maintenance Sched

Postby Morph » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:37 am

RudiGreyling wrote:I am actually getting tired to double posting these things (one on MISASA website one here), but I still think it necessary in recent times! :twisted: :P :roll:
Rudi,

The population is here not on the Misasa website. Your double posting has been instrumental in driving your website hits up. If I were you I would continue ad infinitum to post prompts here to drive folks to your site. i.e. Use the forum to your advantage, Misasa will profit in the end.

Thanks for all the hard work :wink: 8)
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: MISASA App. Exempt. on 2-Stroke engine maintenance Sched

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Morph wrote:
RudiGreyling wrote:I am actually getting tired to double posting these things (one on MISASA website one here), but I still think it necessary in recent times! :twisted: :P :roll:
Rudi,

The population is here not on the Misasa website. Your double posting has been instrumental in driving your website hits up. If I were you I would continue ad infinitum to post prompts here to drive folks to your site. i.e. Use the forum to your advantage, Misasa will profit in the end.

Thanks for all the hard work :wink: 8)
Hey morph,

ditto, but i guess people are use to look here for info first, not everyone is use to looking for latest info on Misasa yet, hence smileys behind my post, hopefully somewhere in the future people will remember to look at both, before hitting the send button on their posts :twisted:

PS: not my site, me just a tool in helping put it up, together with great people like Sias and Alan.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 pm

Damkie Rudi, ons kan n slag doen met n bietjie goeie nuus ook!!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 pm

MISASA can always "join" our forum... :lol:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:12 am

BAD NAV wrote:MISASA can always "join" our forum... :lol:
Thanx BAD NAV I had a reall good laugh after reading your post...Thank goodness for smileys to get the tone... :twisted: :lol: :P vhpy
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 am

Hi Folk....

Here below a 'cutting' from the MISASA FEEDBACK Letter Rudi refers to..

'...The Commissioner was under the impression that the only problem was that owners were unhappy with having to replace the crankshaft on the 582 at 300 hours unnecessarily and was unaware of the other onerous and impractical maintenance requirements in the... '

I am not shocked, nor astounded.... just flabbergasted... How absolutley embarrasing for Aero Club... Shame.... Starting July last year, and now it is March this year, AND STILL THE COMMISSIONER WAS NEVER PROPERLY BRIEFED!!!!!

Please read the new proposal para 5 (b) and (c).... still no good for private operators of microlights... And I know why, because Aero Club are STILL NOT REPRESENTING trikers. they are still trying to fit us into the entire NTCA mold.....

I am now 'that close' to caling an end to this fiasco .........

Where was the feedback we were promised before the FIRST proposal went before the commissioner. Thanks, however, for the feedback on this, the second proposal.

And don't tell me I do nothing folk, I won't stand for that. I was on the point of personally taking up the cause for microlighters when I was dealing with this last year in October. I did'nt, as Neill of Aero Club assured me it was going to be dealt with, and I believed him....... And I attended the Aero Club meeting in November, where amended proposals were discussed and voted on. These were officially sanctioned by Aero Club.... What happened to all that hard work. On whose authority was all the work done at that meeting put on the 'back-burner'...

Who can answer me?

Regards from a 'gatvol' private triker, who is quite capable of doing an engine strip down and rebuild, which will not be allowed under the new proposed amendments..... correct me if I am wrong....
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:48 am

lamercyfly wrote:
"... and was unaware of the other onerous and impractical maintenance requirements in the... '
Shocking ! ... Shocking ! ... Shocking !
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Oh boy....... :roll:

Surely there must be some :oops: faces?
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 pm

Dave, erroneously my posting said "lamercy wrote". Please read it as the quote which Lamercy quoted ! :oops: Oops, my mistake.

The Commissioner's quote however remains : "Shocking !" and totally unacceptable.
Roel Jansen
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:13 am

kloot piloot wrote:Dave, erroneously my posting said "lamercy wrote". Please read it as the quote which Lamercy quoted !
Fixed it
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:15 am

Ai this topic is wearing me out, instead of responding here I could have done something else positive...

Here is the way I see it (personal perspective!)

1) The new CEO (Colin Jordaan) took over in December (help if I am wrong)? It was a mess he got...If I was him, I would restructure the organisation and then start to work on the big fires first. There are MANY fires at CAA, he inherited a burning building....But things are happening, and he is getting results, so please BE PATIENT. See the PS section for my personal experience so far...

2) There is now an OPEN DOOR policy where anyone can ask him a question avcom, GO ASK HIM if you feel inclined to do so! http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17

3) With everything on his hands I don't blame him in the short timeframe that he has: 1. either not been informed by his staff, or 2. forgot, or 3. minimised in his mind the initial problem.

4) We had open posts from OBERT on avcom quoted below, saying they are paying special attention to NTCA it this quarter. (We still have a month left in this quarter)

5) From all the official parties in SA aviation today, (SACAA, Aeroclub, EAA, and the 2 major forums avcom and microlighter) I think MISASA is communicating the best and most frequent back to the pilots on the official status of things, please don't shoot the messenger.
Obert on avcom Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:57 pm wrote:Dear Collegues

I would like to thank the industry for getting together in such a positive manner in order to address the numerous concerns pertaining to NTCA registration and certification issues. As you are aware, the SACAA has been involved in two very important international audits by ICAO and the FAA. As a result of this taxing schedule, the sector of NTCA appeared to have received lesser priority.

I would therefore like to assure the industry that both audits (ICAO and FAA) are now behind us. We will now give TOP PRIORITY to the issues surrounding NTCA. Even the New CEO, Capt Colin Jordaan has been made aware of the challenges affecting this sector and has expressed his keen desire to have all these matters resolved as a matter of urgency. To that end, l have taken it upon myself, as my personal resolve, as the Executive Manager responsible for Aircraft Safety, to devote a large portion of my time during this quarter to ensuring that the matters that have been pending for unacceptably too long are resolved as soon as possible.

I would like to take this time to inform the industry that the SACAA is fully aware of the importance of having a vibrant NTCA sector. It has NEVER been the intention of the SACAA to deliberately run down this very important sector of the aviation industry. As a matter of fact, the SACAA bemoans the unfortunate instances in which the treatment which industry members have been subjected to has seemed to suggest a lack of support and sensitivity from the SACAA. We sincerely apologize for this unfortunately impression which seemed to have been created.

Furthermore, the SACAA has no intention to OVER REGULATE this industry. While it appears as though we have taken the lead worldwide in as far as promulgating certain NTCA regulations, it should still be pointed out that such regulations (in particular CAR Parts 24, 94 and 96) need to be tested in order to ensure that they do not hamper growth and development of the industry. It is therefore important to therefore highlight that the SACAA is ready to engage the industry on this score.

In order to ensure that this matter is addressed in a structured manner, the SACAA set up an NTCA Task Team comprising of members from both the SACAA and the industry. It is our hope that this NTCA Task Team, which will report to the SACAA Executive Management Team, will be a useful vehicle to spearhead the resolution of the NTCA problems. This NTCA Task Team is chaired by the Senior Manager: Aircraft Certification, Mr. Subash Devkaran and industry members include Mr. Neil De Lange.

I am sure that we should be able to fully address the problems pretty soon and l await the outcome of the 15th January industry workshop with keen interest. I am willingly to be engaged more on the issues by the relevant industry bodies.

Kind Regards
Obert Chakarisa
Executive Manager: Aircraft Safety
South African Civil Aviation Authority
Cell: 083 461 6284
Work: 011 545 1099
Mail: chakarisao@caa.co.za :)
PS: OK here is my experience (I am building a RV homebuilt)....before December there were +/- 21 Vans Aircraft RV aircraft Trapped by CAA due to OVER Regulation, Without Builders numbers and they couldn't get registered. Since December, I got a builders number and recently even managed to get it Registered. Things are changing for the better, most of the 21 RV’s are not trapped any more.

We knew it was going to take time, (to think otherwise would be foolish) but at least things are happening for the positive in the industry. Micros are not the only types with problems, there are and were bigger fires to fight, but at least some of the fires are being put out.

Please don't poke the bear to much, the bear might decide to bite, or worse, give up and quit.

Groetnis
Rudi
Ignoreer asseblief my afrikaanse engels :twisted: :roll: :lol: vhpy
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Oh golly ! Luckily the messenger survived the shot vhpy . I have been following what CAA Commissioner has been doing in his short little time in a very hot "burning" seat. And I am SO optimistic. Things are going in the right direction. At least the direction has been turned away from LEFT since December.

I respect and applaud all those who are putting voluntary hours into getting the problem tackled ! Thank you.

I might just have been a bit pissed off that I had my trusty Rotax overhauled 2 weeks ago because my Hobbs was on 301.2 hours :cry: , and now 2 weeks later, a light is thundering down the tunnel for everyone else :? .

But then again, Nelson Mandela, got locked up, and paid for it for 18 years, when his Hobbs reached the limit, and 'lo and behold he then became President !!!

Now that is some good light in the tunnel for me :wink: !

So when all this Rotax thing is over, and believe me, I think it will be within a week or so vhpy , (thanks to a few strong warriors out there who believe in the Struggle), where would this poor freedom struggler apply for a credit on his Rotax overhaul vhpy ! 8)
Roel Jansen
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks Rudi...

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744