Microlight radio use "query" on Avcom

Matters of general interest
Dreamer
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Microlight radio use "query" on Avcom

Postby Dreamer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:25 am

Hey all, following is on Avcom, perhaps someone can provide an answer for Martiens and make a friend :roll:

Martiens wrote
Well seems that the microlights ans Balloons also only talk to themselves. Tried speaking to Microlights in the Orients Krugersdorp area on 122.00, 125.8, 123.40 and 123.45, no reply, afterwards, I was informed they only talk on 123.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who are they to have so called dedicated r=frequency's. Maybe I should apply for an Tiger's only frequency and then not worry about other aerie's !!!!!!! ?????????
Its under General chat...stayong on airfield frequency.
A new resident at Microland
If the runway is wider than it is long, rethink your circuit.
Martiens
Looking at the sky

Radio Frequency

Postby Martiens » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi all !!,
I fly Tiger Moth ZS-OSS mostly in the Krugersdorp Hekpoort Area and also low & Slow like the Miclolights !!! We had a Query on avcom the other day and was resolved by Demon & Sonex. Thanks ! I now understand that certain microlight airfields have their own dedicated frequency's as posted by a certain Microlight Airfields Puplication. The problem I have, is that as these airfields are NOT REGISTERED by CAA, us "Blik" or "Lap & Spoeg" aerie operators dont know about these "dedicated frequency's and thereby cause an dangerous situation by not knowing other aircraft positions and infringing in these ""unknown" to us Airspace". I am not fighting, would just like to make the skies safer and talk to other "Low & Slow " aeries as I feel foolish trying to talk to one close to me and they ignore me !!!! ( Sometimes I feel that I have Radio Failure and start sweating !
Regards,
Martiens
If Its Not Fun Doing, Its Not Worth Doing !!
Gadget
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Gadget » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:16 am

Hi Demon and Martiens and welcome Martiens. Just my 2 zim dollars worth, please correct me if i'm wrong.

On the trikes we use 123.45 as a chat channel, we cannot keep our mouths shut so we have to be there. This channel is usually used when below 1500 AGL as microlights do not need to have radios when flying below this altitude. (Has this changed?)

It would however be very dangerous to use this above this altitude. We sometimes switch over above 1500 agl to chat to quickly discuss something and not clog the airways.

With most of the new radios you can monitor one frequency while utilizing another so it is becoming popular to tune the radio to 123.45 and chat there while flying and monitor for instance 124.8 depending on the frequency in your area. Then we switch back every couple of minutes to make our normal radio calls. Some airfields, as Demon said, however do have their own frequencys and it should be a good thing for most busy fields to have their own frequency, you should hear the recipy's being swopped in the wintervogel and morning star areas some days. Hope this info helps.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:23 am

Ever hear someone say on 124.8 "GO NUMBERS PLEASE" ? this refers to 123.45 and is the international air-to-air communication channel - therefore the channel you can sit on and chat!

As for not necessary for using a radio below 1500f AGL and that microlights are exempt of this is incorrect. You fly You use Radio even if it is a Paraglider. We share the same airspace at some time or other and for that reason it is of paramount importance for safety sake that comms are 100% in place at all times!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:37 am

BAD NAV wrote:Ever hear someone say on 124.8 "GO NUMBERS PLEASE" ? this refers to 123.45 and is the international air-to-air communication channel - therefore the channel you can sit on and chat!

As for not necessary for using a radio below 1500f AGL and that microlights are exempt of this is incorrect. You fly You use Radio even if it is a Paraglider. We share the same airspace at some time or other and for that reason it is of paramount importance for safety sake that comms are 100% in place at all times!
Radios are NOT compulsory for ANY plane unless you want to land at a controlled field, and even then there are ways !

But I agree, we should have radios and use them correctly, it can only make things safer.

On another point someone raised, many small, private or uncontrolled fields have their own frequency but these frequencies are official and allocated by the authorities and not just "chosen". They are not only published in microlighters publications so EVERY pilot should have access to them and know about them. If any field just chooses a frequency they are doing so illegally :evil:

Programs like EasyPlan and my Garmin GPS have these small field frequencies as well as other info on them.

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:03 pm

And here CAA wants to apply Part 24 to the extreme and radios are not compulsory (or at least the use of it in certain areas!) .... always thought logic was back to front!

Learn to use your radio from day 1 - irrelevant if you must or not. Failure to do so cultivates a sense of radio silence and bad habits die hard or with you.... Always have safety in mind - if not yours then for heavens sake those that share the skies with you!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Most airfields have "rules" that state "Radio's compulsory"
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Howzit Barry, does heidelberg have its own frequency?? I always use SRE 125.4
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
Martiens
Looking at the sky

Postby Martiens » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:34 pm

demon wrote:hi and welcome to the forum martiens.
I agree that the area west of FAGM from your place up to the magalies GF can be rather confusing in terms of all the frequencies in use :? :roll:
I will make a sketch map and scan it in, showing the location and frequencies (official or not) of known airfields :idea:
Am I right that you guys use the FAKR frequency at Van's :?:
Yes, we use 122.00 at Van's as the Silos close by is a compulsory reporting point flying in from any direction to FAKR. I use my radio even when I'M Lower than 1500 feet AGL and use the frequency allocated to that Airspace. As Crosswinds is not a Registered Field (Correct me If I'm Wrong) how can they have a dedicated frequency as It will not be puplished in any AIP's ? Or do microlighters get a different set of Microlight AIP'S ?
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Nkwazi wrote:Howzit Barry, does heidelberg have its own frequency?? I always use SRE 125.4
According to my frequency charts Heidelberg is SRE 125.4

Regards,
Arnulf
Martiens
Looking at the sky

frequency's

Postby Martiens » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Deman, I'm based at Krugersdorp but supose I can go to Vans when you are there . My tel is 0837766667. Why are you guy's unwelcome a FAKR ?
There are plenty Gyro's there ?
TonyV
Thinking of flying

Postby TonyV » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 am

Martiens,

I fly a trike out of Crosswinds. I am surprised that you are unaware of the 125,0 frequency for Crosswinds as it is published on the Jeppesen 1:250 000 FAJS map. Crosswinds has been a microlight training field for at least 12 years and has had that frequency as long as I can remember. There are a number of Krugersdorp pilots who use the frequency when landing there or pass by or overfly the field.

Trike pilots are interested in any type of aircraft, so if you pass our field and see trikes outside, please land and join us for a cup of coffee. The field is about 800 metres long so you should be able to handle it.

The circuit at Crosswinds is strictly North of the field with a left hand downwind for runway 10 with a final over the Tarlton racetrack or a right hand downwind for runway 28. Joining procedure is to approach from the North at 6 200 feet calling on 125.0 three miles out and when overhead turning left or right to join the circuit at 5 800 feet. Field altitude is 5 200 feet. Now there are no excuses for not landing and having a chat.

As far as frequencies are concerned we are close to the boundary of special rules and general flying area and you could find us on a number of frequencies depending on position. Approaching from the North West over Magaliesburg we would be on 124.8 changing to 123.4 for Orient, changing to 125.8 for special rules and then on to 125.0 for landing at Crosswinds. For take off we would be on 125.0 whilst in the circuit changing to special rules when leaving.

The frequent flyer trike pilots at Crosswinds pride themselves on their responsible attitude to flying and on their radio procedures, so I would be very surprised if you could not raise them on the appropriate frequency.

Please join us if we are there when you next fly by.
Tony
ZU-CDY
Martiens
Looking at the sky

frequency's

Postby Martiens » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Tonyv,
Will definitely pop in for coffee nex time,
Thanks,
Martiens