CAA Inspectors - Conflict of interests?

Matters of general interest
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

CAA Inspectors - Conflict of interests?

Postby Duck Rogers » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Just thinking aloud here.....
How can an AP, AMO, call them whatever you like, be employed by CAA in a position whereby they can approve or decline an ATF and still have their AMO business on the side?
I mean, here I am (hypothetically speaking) I run an AMO business. My business is to repair aerries and engines. I'm also employed by CAA. I have the authority to decline your ATF because your engine doesn't comply with the new so-called lame brain regulations. Goodbye Mr Microlighter.....go and see an AP to have your engine overhauled before I will issue an ATF.

I mean, isn't there some sort of rule or regulation that prohibits this kind of thing? Can a person be employed by a Government Institution and have a business on the side that could potentially profit from this?

Sound just like the new Seffrica to me.
Last edited by Duck Rogers on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:02 pm

We'll find out soon enough what has been done and how the regs will pan out.

Maybe the profit you are referring to, will hopefully not realize.
Last edited by Wargames on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Chunky
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: CAA Inspectors - Conflict of interests?

Postby Chunky » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Duck Rogers wrote: Just thinking aloud here.....
How can an AP, AMO, call them whatever you like, be employed by CAA in a position whereby they can approve or decline an ATF and still have their AMO business on the side?
I mean, here I am (hypothetically speaking) I run an AMO business. My business is to repair aerries and engines. I'm also employed by CAA. I have the authority to decline your ATF because your engine doesn't comply with the new so-called lame brain regulations. Goodbye Mr Microlighter.....go and see an AP to have your engine overhauled before I will issue an ATF. Oh, by the way, there's a good AMO at Panorama or RhinoPark that will take care of it for you.
Sound just like the new Seffrica to me. Sounds like there's money to be made here.... :?:
Bullshit man! Give up your AMO if you want to be a CAA policeman or give up the new cushy office job and go back and be an AP. Either/or but not both. :evil:
This is Bullshit.....

You are making stupid accusations about people you dont know. These guys are employed to do a job thats all. They do not make the rules. BTW, the one from Panorama has been as strict for the last how many years as he is now, nothing has changed.

If your aircraft is up to scratch you have nothing to worry about. If its a piece of crap then he WILL ground you. There is no special treatment at all.

You just have sour grapes!!!!!
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:08 am

This is Bullshit.....
Coke and popcorn please.......... this should be a lively topic :lol:
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:24 am

At the end of the day we are all fallible and prone to mistakes.

Jealousy in any form whatsover will surely break up our hobby/sport/method of earning a living.

Accusations without documented proof will have the same effect.

If this happens we will all be the poorer and more bitter for it.

If double standards can be proven then the neccesary proof can surely be passed "Upstairs" to the responsible person/s.

Just my opinion (which is worth exactly what you pay for it)

Kind regards

Gunter Rostek
rainier
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: CAA Inspectors - Conflict of interests?

Postby rainier » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:14 am

Of course I know who you refer to...
I don't think there is an issue in this particular case.

But - as an AP myself, I had my own ATF turned down three weeks ago. Reason: I am not allowed to sign out my own aircraft anymore. Now, legally, (and I checked) the aircraft is owned by MGL Avionics and I happen to own a share in that company but MGL is it's own legal person so, considering the wording of the new rule - the ATF should have been passed. Of course - you know who - knows me and therefore knew the circumstances and turned it down anyway.
Well, I had to get another AP to sign it out for me.

So - what am I getting at:
If this is the rule - then it does make sense that the rule enforcer cannot allow himself to approve ATF's he himself issued. This is indeed a conflict of interest - no matter how you argue it.

Rainier
Duck Rogers wrote:Just thinking aloud here.....
I mean, here I am (hypothetically speaking) I run an AMO business. My business is to repair aerries and engines. I'm also employed by CAA. I have the authority to decline your ATF because your engine doesn't comply with the new so-called lame brain regulations. Goodbye Mr Microlighter.....go and see an AP to have your engine overhauled before I will issue an ATF. Oh, by the way, there's a good AMO at Panorama or RhinoPark that will take care of it for you.
Sound just like the new Seffrica to me. Sounds like there's money to be made here.... :?:
Bullshit man! Give up your AMO if you want to be a CAA policeman or give up the new cushy office job and go back and be an AP. Either/or but not both. :evil:
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:26 am

Mind if I park my beanbag next to yours Iceman? I have my own coke and popcorn, this I wanna see...
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Conflict

Postby John Boucher » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Hey Duck, I don't know the people in question but if this be the case, then I tend to agree with your statement. You need someone with seriously strong character not to misuse such a position and to remain objective.

Rainier, I would prefer another AP to sign out my aircraft even though I was an AP just for safety sake.... When the doody strikes the fan, no one can point a finger in your direction to say you benefitted yourself!

Chunky, I think it's bullshit to get an AP to change my aircraft's plugs etc.... Not all of us have AP's living on the airfields they occupy. So if you live in Postmasburg or Kuruman etc. You have to fly to Kimberley or Upington so that the designated AP can do this.... Hilarious I'd say?

My Zim 2 cents worth ..... Popcorn & Coke & Klippies & Eish please sir!!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Any interactive AP's there,

What would you charge a mate to change 4 plugs on his aerrie while he holds your coffee cup, or how much more would this add to the conventional ATF test?

I asked our certified AMO whether he would consider getting rated on NTCA's and Rotax and he said he'd "No way, not interested. Too much k@k."
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
rainier
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby rainier » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Tumbleweed wrote:Any interactive AP's there,

What would you charge a mate to change 4 plugs on his aerrie while he holds your coffee cup, or how much more would this add to the conventional ATF test?
Honestly - I will not be changing your plugs. I probably will not sign out your aircraft either.
In the past I never charged for doing anybodies AP - it was part of my hobby and a chance for me to get my hands dirty.

Considering this - and the new rules and regs, I don't think it is wise for me to take on the risk of touching another owners aircraft - I'm just going to add to my liability burden without good reason.

Unfortunately I'm not the only AP thinking like this - many have not bothered signing up to the new AP scheme and have let their AP ratings lapse. I'll continue taking care of Phil Bristow's Jora related AP work to help him out (yes I do that for free) but that is as far as I will take it.

Yes, having to get an AP to change your plugs every 25 hours is so beyond rediculus is is past funny.

Rainier
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Mmmm....Iceman, JetRanger.... mind if I join you? I have fresh popcorn and an extra large Coke; I'll even bring my flack-jacket if this gets exciting!!

PS: I was wondering when this subject was going to be brought up.
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Climb aboard Wart............ next round should fire up again soon....... 8)
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
Xyster
Found a flight school

Postby Xyster » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:53 am

demon wrote:guys lets keep this forum's integrety.
Duck, I am suprised at you :cry:
Whats wrong with you guy's? Every time someone speaks the truth he gets nuked. Please smell the RAT.

I also tryed to bring this up but got modurated for speaking the truth. :evil: I'ts all about money friends.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:07 am

Ok, reading my original post again it seems I was a bit too direct in my wording. #-0 :oops:
I have edited the posting to reflect what I was really alluding to. This probably applies to all sorts of "Government" positions.
Maybe there are mechanisms in place that allow for this sort of thing?

No personal attack on anyone intended, so you guys can put away your coke and popcorn please =;
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Damn....

Postby John Boucher » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:44 am

Now you've gone and ruined the friendship Duck.... vhpy

We was so in the moooooeeed 4 Reality Four-Rum.... (intentional grammatical errors - b4 I get slated!)

I'm still going to grub my popcorn & absorb my Coke & Klippies (^^)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil: