Is this the end of microlighting in S.A. ?

Matters of general interest
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:16 pm

It is ridiculous as we are now maintaining the NTCA fleet to a better standard than some countries maintain their type certified fleet. :evil:

Once again - before the boat is missed - do not concentrate on the crank replacement issue alone. The other costs of maintenance as contained in the Rotax maintenance schedule will hurt just as much. I just roughly calculated the cost of maintaining just your spark plugs within the first 300 hours and you could be anywhere in the region of R4800 just to keep within the law there!
Chunky
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Chunky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Ok, here is my experience......

I have a single seater trike fitted with a Rotax 462 motor. The motor now has about 380 hours on it. The CAA will not issue an ATF as the crank hours have been exceeded.

There is no leaway on this issue, so its either out with the old crank or out with the complete engine.

Now I have another question. The 462 crank unlike the 503 and 582 can be split. therefore new bearings can be fitted to the crank. If I had the bearings changed and submitted proof thereof would that be ok? According to CAA NO. The Rotax manual specificaly says replace crank at 300 hours.

So, I like the idea of a VW engine on a single seater trike !!!!!
Ranger
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Ranger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:17 pm

In a couple of years you'll probably find a posting on this forum which states that the rattex WAS the most popular engine used by microlight pilots. I still don't understand how they can make you change the crank yet in bold letters warn you that the engine is not meant for aviation use. Surely if you are placed in a position of authority behind a CAA desk you ought to question this. It gets my blood boiling. No common sence.
I sometimes get confused............But i'm not sure
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:47 pm

I am not a lawyer, but does the manual state Replace crank with new one, or just replace crank.

Maybe two guys with 582's - who exceeded 300 hrs - can come together and change cranks ? :wink:

P.S. Sorry had a good day and doesn't own a 582. :lol:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Ldel wrote:Maybe two guys with 582's - who exceeded 300 hrs - can come together and change cranks ? :wink:
Was that change or swop :twisted:

But yes good question that does require answering and probably by the Rotax service centres or their agents. If you look at the Rotax maintenance schedule - it does not state that the crank requires replacement - the exact wording is according to maintenance schedule 3 UL 91-E at 300 hours - point 40:
General Overhaul of engine
With footnote:
Contact authorised Rotax distributors or service centres
But again the overhaul is only 1 of 40 items that the owner needs to look at during the 300 hour life cycle.
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:39 pm

I have just checked the rotax manual to see what should be done with the TBO.

<b>11.33 General overhaul of the engine</b>

For a general engine overhaul, the engine has to be shipped to an authorized distributor or Service Centre.

----------------------------------------------------

And that is it.

1stly - Why, if this is LS1, would we want to send the engine away and not do that ourselves.

2ndly - If you averhaul a car engine, the crank does not need to be replaced. So were did the story come from that we MUST change the crank. Has someone contacted rotax for a list that needs to be replaced at TBO??
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm

:evil: Arrrrgggggggg :shock: Ferfaxsakes, and all I wanted to do was just FLY. :evil: and NO I am NOT smiling. :evil:
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 pm

I agree "ferfaxsakes" !!! (Have you got an "emoticon" for TOTALLY "de Bliksem in" !! ??

No one, BUT NO ONE MAY TAKE OFF AS OF TOMMOROW !

We are all flying with NGK plugs ! The NGK box prohibits you from flying with their plugs. "NOT SUITABLE FOR TRIKES", and it even comes with a picture for blondes! Why then are you using them !

All AP's have been overlooking this for years and should be fired !!!!
The CAA bosses overlooking our AP's should resign for appointing AP's who were not competent enough to pick this up. So should T.Mbeki for approval of them again !

In effect I will win in a court of law if I bought an AP'd trike with NGK plugs and I hurt myself with an engine out !!!!!

Next in line is Dunlop for not certifying my tyres.
The next is Bearing Man because I replaced my wheel bearings with SFG and not with NSK.
Don't mention Skoen Hoekie for their non-certified thread used to repair my panier zip.
... and Nugget for their non-certified (n/c) tyre polish.
... Phillips for (n/c) "aviation" landing light.
... K&N for n/c "aviation" filters
... Mercedes Benz for n/c "aviation" fuel filter
and (the best)...
the service station at the corner in Pretoria West for non certified "aviation" trike fuel, yet approved for my Audi TT !!!

Therefore ! If you want to control my crank hours, you will have to control my tyres and my fuel !

Or we remain NON CERTIFIED, as was the intenion from the beginning !

And only then, CAA, will you appreciate the meaning of a non-certified pilot's intention not to kill himself due to negligence ! :twisted: Rather his REAL intent to try and survive by maintaining his machine to the best of his ability to prevent his own death or liability to others.

Alternatively I will have included in my death will for my family to: "Sue CAA for not detecting NGK plugs... and p.s. have the lawyer check that government controlled fuel source".

What do the powers prefer. A police state, or a willing NON CERTIFIED (yet well disciplined) state of mind ?

Please assist your over-burdened plight through deligation to the nation !

The educated masses are there to assist the elected few !

Promise ... !
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:43 am

I found this on the kitfox list.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=38570

Seems that in the States they are using overhauled 582 cranks.

Maybe Rotax International, to protect themselves, made 582 crank changes mandatory at 300 hrs to protect themselves.

Ja nou is did k@k vir almal worldwide.

Just as a matter of interest, what does the Jabiru Maintenance Manual say and surely this motor will also only be legal if serviced by "Agents" or other suitably qualified persons.

Again the cost factor will them go up for this range of motors but not as much.

Is it an option to remove the data plate of the Rotax, rename it "anythingyoulike" write your own maintenance manual/overhaul manual, apply for ATF do the 40 hours proving flight and live or fly happily ever after??

Seems the only way to fly on a budget is by building everything youself, even the motor,and then maintaining it yourself.

Down side will be mountains of paperwork.

Gunter Rostek
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 am

Gunter
I agree, lets all just rename our engines and be done with it. Who is going to start the trend.......................
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:21 am

Wargames wrote:Does anybody know how other countries like Europe and US of FA and Canada is handling their NTCA categories??
I dont think you will like that answer. If we are to follow the USA - we wont be far off where we are now with factory built NTCA (if compared to Light Sport Aircraft category).

They have two ratings - the Repairman certificate - Inspection and Repairman Certificate - Maintenance.

On the maintenance rating:
This certificate allows you to maintain, repair, and perform the annual condition inspection on all Special-LSAs and condition inspections on Experimental-LSAs for hire, within the class of aircraft shown on your certificate. What repairs and maintenance you can perform one Special-LSAs are specifically authorized in the aircraft manufacturers' maintenance manuals. A&Ps or FAA authorized repair stations must perform all major modifications (again as directed by manufacturers' instructions).
To achieve the Maintenance rating on an Airplane you are required to attend instruction for 120 hours and on weight shift - 104 hours.

I am led to believe that the UK are also considering heading in a similar direction.
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 am

I think that CAA created the NTCA many moons ago to accommodate a couple of free spirited guys.

But they never could predict that the class would become so popular and so BIG.

Now they try to cut most guys out through finances, but if you do your own maintenance on your aircraft, you know that your safety is in your own hands. This will make many guys more slack on aircraft maintenance.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:17 am

skybound ® wrote:It is ridiculous as we are now maintaining the NTCA fleet to a better standard than some countries maintain their type certified fleet. :evil:

Once again - before the boat is missed - do not concentrate on the crank replacement issue alone. The other costs of maintenance as contained in the Rotax maintenance schedule will hurt just as much. I just roughly calculated the cost of maintaining just your spark plugs within the first 300 hours and you could be anywhere in the region of R4800 just to keep within the law there!
Hi skybound,

Don't want to get technical, but to my calculations, the replacement of spark plugs through a 300 hour cycle will be R480.00 and not R4800.00.

According your calculation it is R100 for a spark plug. I bought them for R10 in bellville.

Surely this is not realy the point of debate. I just want to make it clear that all other maintenance issues is not an expensive exercise. I will pay R40 every 25 hours with a smile. But to go and pay R20k plus for maintenance for TBO is rediculous, and this is the point that every one is angry about. Well This is my anger point.

The whole point of why I am flying a plane in the NCTA category is because it is afordable, and CAA or should I rather say RATTEX is trying to make a lot more money out of us that is realy necesary.

If someone can maybe give a bit of feedback of what is happening there at the CAA with the regulation, it will be appreciated. As we all are "Flying Blind" at the moment.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 am

Where does it actually say that the crank shaft needs to be REPLACED at 300 hours. I have both the operators and the manitenance manual for the 503/586 dated 1999, and item 38 of the maintenance schedule specifies General Overhaul of engine 9) chapter 11.33

Note 9) says - To be carried out every 300 hours or 5 years whichever comes first. Contact authorised distributor or service center

Chapter 11.3 says - For general Overhaul the engine has to be shipped to an authorised distributor or service center.

I have searched the Rotax owners website for service bulletins etc relating to the crankshaft and all references are older than 1999, most are 1994 so the maintenance manual would have superceded them. None of these documents state REPLACE the crank shaft every 300 hours.

I have found a reference on another website (http://www.greenskyadventures.com/engin ... alc503.htm) saying
This is a replacement item at 300 hours on the Rotax Maintenance Plan.
Field experience indicates the 447 and 503 cranks can be replaced "on condition"
Which maintenance plan. Where is this document

Woodland Air (http://www.woodlandsportair.com/index.p ... sition=4:4) say
Rotax recommends that after 300 hours of service, that their 2-stroke engines receive a major overhaul. Since these engines are non-certified, this service is optional, but strongly recommended.
Rotax also highly recommends that the crankshaft be replaced at this service interval regardless of condition
While Rotax and Woodland Sport Air strongly recommend that the crankshaft be replaced at this time, it is possible that the old crankshaft will still be within wear limits and be reusable.
But I need to see the rotax documents themselves.
Greg Perkins
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 am

Morph,

On the rotax manual it says that you must contact service centre. Nowhere is anything stated to what the TBO consist of. Surely a recommendation cannot be read as compulsory!?!?!
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"