Is this the end of microlighting in S.A. ?

Matters of general interest
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 pm

8)O.K. Cool, so Rattex have been selling their machines happily and merrily without imposing their requirements (which) have been in their manuals as far back as 1999, and now turns on us as an aftermarket "pay or f... off greeting" !

In that case, and as long as Hobbs meters are not compulsary, I will be logging less than 20 hours per year on my machine log, and spread my other 100 hours between imaginary machines in my personal log book.

Let us test if CAA's books can prove the opposite.

Talking about cross checks, let's see who wins this time ! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:39 pm

OK now Im worried and for the first time a bit muf:evil: This will mean the end of my flying. Simple as that. Another reason to get the hell out of here.

nuff said.........Im gone.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:08 am

I have been told I need my license and the ATF or a certified copy.

The ATF certifies that you have the rest and all is in order.

Anyway, that was what I was told after asking the question at the CAA, but it looks like you get a different answer depending on who or when you ask !

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Slabfish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 am

My attitude towards flying in general is respect, and the fact that I am even allowed to fly ,respect the the aircraft by means of making sure it is safe , I make all my decisions on what I know from learning to fly and what I learned even after I got my mpl .In general I think that I should respect the laws of my country as well , that's why I fly with a mpl ,drive my car with a drivers licence and have a skippers licence for my boat .I all three those instances there are certain rules I have to adhere to before I can use the privileges of using the said licences and I ,and all of us have no problems following those rules . Now I get worried when I see in some of us pilots , the negative attitude toward carrying the needed documents on the aircraft ,Because if this negative attitude rubs off towards your flying ,well ,then you are in trouble. Remember that flying is all about ATTITUDE guys ! I say let us work with CAA to get this whole ting streamlined ,the sooner the better.
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
Mike Cordeiro
Ready for the first flight

Re: Is this the end of microlighting in S.A. ?

Postby Mike Cordeiro » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:15 am

Wargames wrote:
Mike Cordeiro wrote:Two trikes from solitude
Is solitude a training school?? if so, then I do understand the issue.

Why is it that Rotax would want the crank replaced at 300 when the engine is not even certified???
No flying school at Solitude, this trikes are owned and flown privately.
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:18 am

Not arguing that the documents should be in order. My point is that if aircraft goes up in smoke, so do the documents. The law doesn't say certified copies are permissible, does it? I will whip out my i-mate, go online and go to zu-dve.com for my logbook ;-) and will keep copies of said documents on trike.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:40 am

gertcoetzee wrote:My point is that if aircraft goes up in smoke, so do the documents.
That is 100% correct and the reason why they do not require nor want the aircraft, engine or propeller logbook on board. They encourage the use of a flight folio and the transfer of the hours from the folio on a perodic basis (like once a year at inspection time)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 am

I made up my flight folio myself, with input from other bushbaby owners and I have attached it here. It is in A5 format. I printed it out , my wife bound it and there it is. If lost or destroyed, simply print out another one, add the certified copies of your reg and ATF. Additionally I created a basic flight log page also on A5. I printed about 10 pages of these and it is in the back of the booklet. I keep my logged hours here and transfer them to my log book at home regularly.

I don't see any issue in doing this, however there are those who are illegal, and perhaps have been for many years, and it obviously will be an issue for them, especially on the ATF front.
Attachments
POH.doc
(173 KiB) Downloaded 1353 times
Flight Log.doc
(57 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:48 am

The problem is not when the trike goes up in flames (They will check paperwork at CAA and if not in order you have a HUGE problem). They are trying to get all paperwork up to date before the accident inspectors "find" it and then give the insurance companies plenty ammo to repudiate your claim. It is to alleviate/catch the "Illegal" flyers. These guys have the right and will ask for your license ATF etc when you land at some field in the future.

Bare min at this stage would be your MPL, cert and ATF. If you have nothing how do you prove that you or the aerie are licensed? No license no fly. The whole bundle can be copied (reduced) to A5 size, laminated and put on the trike somewhere for future ref if necessary. Flight suit has plenty zip pockets. Duck tape a plastic zip lock bag to the bottom/back of your seat.

Personally I would not fight this one. It is intended to make the sport safer and these guys have 1000's of hrs on these aeries. They know what they are talking about and the legislation is clear. If you are "caught" without these papers you will be the only one to blame. They are not unreasonable, but they have a job to do.
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 am

My Garmin 3600A creates an automatic flight log, I use it to update my and the airframe log book one at home.

I wonder if the CAA will accept this ? They should since they accept electronic log books !

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:35 am

I don't think the log book is the issue, it's the legality that's the problem, i.e. the registration and ATF. Your mpl needs to be on your person not in the plane.

However the essence of this thread is actually the fact that CAA are declining ATF to aircraft with over 300 hours and no crank change. This is serious
Greg Perkins
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:46 am

Morph wrote:I don't think the log book is the issue, it's the legality that's the problem. Your mpl needs to be on your person not in the plane.

However when you come to submitting the copy of the logbook to CAA for the ATF application then the want the paper work not an electronic version
Yes, I do transfer the info to the paper book and use that for the ATF, did that last week. I am only saying that my "flight folio" that should be in the plane is electronic, and always updated automatically.

Having the MPL on the person is another story, not always that practical since the MPL is not exactly a convenient shape/size, a bit large for the pocket. I keep it in a pocket in the plane.

I wish someone from the CAA would give us the rules exactly the way they want it !
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 am

OK I concede, and will have copies available. The bigger issue is the Rotax 300 issue and here the CAAs logic is a bit warped. The Rotax manual states the engine is not to be used for flying. So why issue an ATF for a trike with a Rotax ar all?
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:25 am

gertcoetzee wrote:OK I concede, and will have copies available. The bigger issue is the Rotax 300 issue and here the CAAs logic is a bit warped. The Rotax manual states the engine is not to be used for flying. So why issue an ATF for a trike with a Rotax ar all?
Hi Gert,

Yes, same thing is bothering me. Rotax is not certified as an aircraft engine, so why would they stand up for any blame in any event if the engine was not TBO at 300 hours. They could just change it and make a "few" guys and a "few" girls very happy.

But you know what they say about common sense!!
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:41 am

Think that is sidetracking the issue a little. The 582 is now recognised as a certified aircraft engine and has been for sometime (someone posted a link on here a short while back with that info - use the search facilty to find it)

That aside. CAA are not insisting that you make use of certified aircraft engine. They are just saying that you need to maintain whichever engine you choose to the manufacturers specification.