Turbulance

Matters of general interest
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi Morpheus, many thanks for the translation. I asked DH since I know him (we met at Springs recently) that's why he came to mind.

DH - thanks all the same, I know you would have done it but you were out flying and having fun.. :D
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Tx Morph
Excellent effort... =D* =D*

I spose well have to dedicate ANOTHER TAAL MONUMENT to you - Paarl Rock is taken, so i guess well just have to have to put it up on RondeBossie Berg huh, and im sure the Hang/Paraglider dudes are really gonna be thrilled about that prospect .. :P :P

Do you like sharp pointed stuff or will a nice irregular design do the trick man :lol: :lol: :lol:
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:03 pm

Short irregular shape, somewhat resembling a beer can would do. The other one is too phalic in design and scares the sh%t out of me. Have some stairs going up and around so that the hanglider/paraglider types can launch themselves off it. Double purpose then, you see :D 8)
Greg Perkins
Gadget
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Turbulence Fun

Postby Gadget » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:33 pm

Yeah. The turbulence was a lot of fun on sunday. We were flying back from the Vredendal fly-in and it took us about 1 hour and 25 liters to fly 50 kilometers to lamberts bay. The weekend started from Delta 200 at Koeberg and we had a lovely flight with groundspeed in some spots reaching in excess of 120K/hour. Not bad for an Aquilla 503. We routed through Saldanha and lambertsbay and had a lot of problems with atc at Langebaan. Could not make out a word she was saying. Heard a few guys at the fly-in also complained. The show and the people at Vredendal were awesome. We had a great time there. Sunday was a bit scary the first few minutes as we had head winds of about 30 to 50 kilometers until Elandsbay. When we went over bobbejaans kop it calmed down a little bit but needless to say, the landing at Saldanha was interesting. Then off with some very tired minds and bodys for the last leg to Delta 200. The wind was pumping across the runway at about 30 to 40 kilometers/hour and the port jackson did not help any, but we managed to get her down in one piece. If there is one thing to be learned, every student should do as many fly-ins as he/she possibly can. The experience you pickup cannot be taught in a classroom. Do the first few with an instructor. Safe flying for everyone and don't be afriad of turbulence. You can learn a lot from it, but take it on with you instructor.

Morris
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:26 pm

Morne

Were you flying with Zirk perhaps?
Greg Perkins
Gadget
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Gadget » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:38 pm

Yep. Guilty as charged.

Morris
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:01 pm

Zirk is very experienced. I've seen him blissfully wonder off into the great blue while the wind is pumping and the rest of us left standing on the ground wishing we were flying. :? To add insult to injury he does a low level across the field and gives us the thumbs up, and all we do is stare.
Greg Perkins
Gadget
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Gadget » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:37 am

Yes. He is an excellent pilot. I am very happy to be training with him. He's shown me a lot and I could handle most of the windy landings. We have been training at Delta 200 and I must say compared to the runways I saw this weekend and landing at some spots in the wind, Delta is an absolute nightmare. The port Jackson on either side does not make it easier. There is turbulence over the Port Jackson, which is about two or three meters high right next to the runway and in some spots there is gully's. It get's very interesting when landing with a microlight and trying to hold the wing strait. He's taught us well and we are able to do 99% of landings there in bad weather. I am still a student and have a lot to learn but I can advise anyone who is not sure about flying or landing in wind to go up with him for an hour or two to hone their skill. I believe PEter has suggested a type of advanced training, just a few hours, to help guys who have a lot of hours hone their skills a bit more.

I also think that Peter and Zirk is a good combination, Zirk Teaches us the real flying stuff and how to stay out of trouble and Peter makes us flying gentlemans i.e. good airmanship.

Where were you the weekend, I heard the cloud base forced a lot of guys to turn back.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:43 am

I had a bad bought of bronchitis and was in no condition to fly. From what I hear about coming back on Sunday I don't know if I would have enjoyed it.
Greg Perkins