A neophytes experience

Matters of general interest
Clem
Slow starter

A neophytes experience

Postby Clem » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:43 pm

I've been meaning to write this note all week, but it's been another one of *those* weeks! :shock:

Demon kindly organised a ride for me last Friday with Big-G out to the dam, via Sue's and back. Now I'd never been in what seemed at first to me to be a type of motorised sled hung under a great big bloody wing, so here are the impressions of a complete neophyte who has never been close to one of these things before (although I've thrown myself off Vic Falls bridge, out of blikkies with a parachute and so forth before):

The overwhelming sense I was left with was that this is the closest man will ever get to being a bird; it's the closest he will ever come to "natural" flying. Period.

The first thing that surprised me was the size of the wing on the trike. I never realised they were so big.

When we took off I was surprised at how much thrust seemed to come off what I perceived as a relatively small engine (4 stroke Rotax), bearing in mind I'm used to thinking in multiples of 100's of hp in cars. But I was suprised at how quiet the engine was.

To be honest, I found the intial bit of turbulence on take off a shade disconcerting (not frightening) but settled down pretty quickly. We ran low and fast over some hills and then a tight right bank after dropping into a kloof-like area. That raised my hair a little! :o But when we got over the water, flying for all the world like so many geese, I started to understand it all better. It was simply amazing! :D And then flying along the ridges I have hiked before. A Coke at Sue's and off again, into the wind, sharp right turn and bank back over Sue's house with her watching. I thought we were going to brush the trees but the master knew eactly what he was doing alright. Running back, Big-G put the bird into a 360 turn and took his hands off the bar. Steady as rock until we ran into our own propwash. I knew then just how stable the machine can be. Running home in the twilight was perfect peace. Back at the hangar a quick fly past, right bank and then slight wingover (exciting!!!) and onto the runway. Then it was all over, but every moment was diamond engraved in the glass of my memory.

Friday night I flew all night with my eyes closed. Saturday morning, all I wanted was to find my way into the air again. :)
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:01 pm

Welcome to our world :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Ratman
First solo

Postby Ratman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:27 pm

:D :D Clem,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! - There are not many that can do it as gracefully as Big G! 8)

I had one flight with the Rietfontein gang in the berg, with Beetlejuice :D :D - and that was it totally hooked. Got home, broke open the piggy bank, realised that I needed more and broke open the wife's piggy bank too - sold all my small aeries (R/C), bought a Gemini and enrolled in a flight school, all faster than Big G with a tailwind.

Strange thing once this bug has you - used to loathe getting up before 6am for anything. Now getting up early is an absolute pleasure! :D :D
Ratman
ZU-GTi
Quick GT450
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:40 am

Batman wrote:Strange thing once this bug has you - used to loathe getting up before 6am for anything. Now getting up early is an absolute pleasure! :D :D
Please bottle couple of those bugggs. Will pay :shock:

PS
Clem - enjoy it.

Flyday tea party is great....
Ratman
First solo

Postby Ratman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:44 am

:D :D jcvb - you don't need any boet! I think the gogga bit you a very long time ago already - and admit it, you have never been the same since! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(^^)
Ratman
ZU-GTi
Quick GT450
Ratman
First solo

Postby Ratman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:57 am

demon wrote:Ah but our jcvb has only two faults batman :?
1) most of his fleet lives in the hangar :cry:
2) he hates getting up early worse than I do :roll:
Hello Demon, :D :D

I currently share the first part with him - but not for much longer! :wink:
Ratman
ZU-GTi
Quick GT450
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:05 am

demon wrote:Ah but our jcvb has only two faults batman :?
1) most of his fleet lives in the hangar :cry:
Wish I could find a hangar....... :cry: Most of the Fleet will be back in air by end of the week. (Still need Kamakazeeee pilot for the KR2 - Any takers?)

Demon
Fokker will be on yr ass ASAP. he he he Would love to join you down to Emonyeni (sp?) but dates don't suit. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

2)
he hates getting up early worse than I do :roll:
:oops: I will always almost be there by the time you have to leave...

PS
Me and mornings are not big mates. I LUV me SNOOZE button. If I need to be up by 5.30 I would have to set alarm for 4.30 so I could have the 5 or so customary "power" naps. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 pm

You Guys are getting it all wrong -xX

I explained to the wife that after a early flight like that i need at least another hours nap when i return home :lol: :lol: and the (-) angel she is she actually give's it to me. i must say there is nothing like haveing a "power nap" after a great mornings flying :lol:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:12 pm

Tailspin wrote: i must say there is nothing like haveing a "power nap" after a great mornings flying :lol:
I concur... then get loaded to go back to the field for some afternoon flying ;)