Cheeky Microlight

Matters of general interest
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:55 pm

smallfly wrote:Tailspin, you say you can get plans for the cheeky, does that mean it can be scratchbuilt?

It looks like a composite aerie in the pictures, although it is computor simulated.

How much would a set of plans set you back, and does it come with al the legal requirements like authentic numbers?

In your oppinion, is it a difficult project for a first time builder?
Hi Smallfly

I know somebody that has a set of plans for a BX2 the original idea of the cherry. Yes it can be scratch built then.

In my opinion it depends on you as a person, i went for something a little easyer to make sure i can do it but if you have the knackers to stick with it then yea it is quite a nice project. I would not go that route as a beginner, don't want to give up at 60% completion and regret not taking something easyer. :oops:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Quentin Ferreira
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Quentin Ferreira » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:29 pm

vERY NICE I LIKE IT!!
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Tailspin wrote: In my opinion it depends on you as a person, i went for something a little easyer to make sure i can do it but if you have the knackers to stick with it then yea it is quite a nice project. I would not go that route as a beginner, don't want to give up at 60% completion and regret not taking something easyer. :oops:
Tailspin
What would you recommend for a first time builder?
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:17 am

Griffin wrote:
Tailspin
What would you recommend for a first time builder?
Firstly look at the material you want to build in Rag and Tube / wood / fiberglass or composite. Then look for a Kit in the class that you would like to have. Then actively help somebody else in their construction, then and only then if you are still keen to go ahead with it get all the info and all the information available then be prepared to take the good with the bad cos there has been times when i wanted to put this B1TCH on her nose and burn her while i dance in the light of the fire, :shock: [0* then there has been times when i stood outside in a hail storm to protect the fuzz in the middle of the night so my baby does not get hurt #-0 . To scratch build is quite an undertaking and remember 80% never get to complete the build in any case so the odds are stacked against you before you start. :twisted: But hey they said i would not live past the age of 12 :shock:
janpetcc
Pre flight checks done

Postby janpetcc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 am

http://homepages.acenet.co.za/cheeky/cheeky.html

Try this link on the cheeky, don't think it's something for the first time builder.

Jannie
Thunderboy
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thunderboy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am

I must say anyone who does a home build is brave, especially a scratch =D*
Thunderbird ZU-ECX
smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby smallfly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:08 am

I looked a the zenair skyjeep and it looks very simple to build from

scratch, simple straight lines and no complicated curves and roundings.

Only thing i don't know is how do you go about having the tubes welded

when building at home, as one is not always available during office hours?

I also wonderred if one could use fibre glass to build and if so what

material would be used for the airframe?Wood?
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:47 pm

That is why i said rather look at a kit first.

There is so much work you do not see and then one small little bracket can stop the progress in it's tracks and then you become despondent and then eventually get rid of it as it is just taking up space.

But if you know how to scrounge real good and you become fimiliar with the people and the environment then you can gain contacts that are allways willing to help. there is allways somebody with good advice just look real carefully and you will find these jem stones, almost like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Took me two years to get a set of struts, been batteling to get them sorted for another two, but i will get there. Just depends how bad you want it.
cheeky
Found a flight school

Re: Cheeky Microlight

Postby cheeky » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi guys.
My name is Pieta Bosch and I am the designer of the Cheeky.

No, it is not based on the Brandli Cherry. (although an excellent plane in which Max and his wife unfortunately lost their lives.. so sad !)
Cheeky is all wood construction.
When you design a good plane.. it WILL resemble other proven designs... and may lead to assumptions... I was first !
No, the Cheeky could not have had a prop/ground effect problem because not one was ever built. !

Yes. I am also the designer of the Knot.
One! was built and flew.. exceeding design specs. I designed it in the "Koala category" with max cruise of 80 mph. She did 90 mph because she was smooth.
I wanted to design an idiot proof trainer for new pilots.

Idiot-proof vs Speed.. Cheeky!
Please keep in mind? The Cheeky was supposed to be the first retractable 2 seater microlight in the world !
I refused to take deposits so I never owed anybody money and the project was shelved.

Above is just to set the records straight and to stop assumptions.

ps: I used to be a microlight instructor as well as MISASA safety officer and redesigned around the stuff that irritated me whilst giving instruction or flying "that" plane.
o83 753 4678