At last, an SA mag that get's it right for Microlighters...

Matters of general interest
kill_devil
Pre flight checks done

Postby kill_devil » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:43 pm

I'll take a look at it then (do you like my new identity?)
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground"
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:33 am

Bought my stack of mags last night :)

Just two criticism on the article :evil: Somebody should tell the writer what very light planes are :( we are not quite comparing the apples with apples here.

Of the three major proudly SA manufactures (that I know of :?: ) only Rainbow is featured :? What no Bushbaby or Thunderbird :cry:

Edit: No Cubby either
No it does not glide- it FLIES
right seat pilot

Postby right seat pilot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:39 pm

Does say at beginning that all types were offered a chance of entering details etc. Also Bushbaby is Kit and kits will feature in later editions, so it says...

aren't all cubbies still grounded???
First solo

Postby 150 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:20 am

Just two criticism on the article Somebody should tell the writer what very light planes are we are not quite comparing the apples with apples here.
Agreed but you see, this is a good start :!: Room for improvements and lighter A/C's will surly follow. Takes a while with the printing media, their deadline is usually about 1 month before publication :!: :!: :!:

Now the funny on the AP listing is, it was suggested as a take it or leave it article on Avcom, and the result you see now in AP. :wink:
In general pitching about something usually does not help, but it seems to work with the now 2 popular forums. :D
One is doing it, the next one will do something else or simular :wink:
By the way, AP is not participating officially on Avcom, but it prooves the are watching. :lol:
Guy/gals keep on complaining the day will come :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:26 pm

I think that AP did a fine job and I am looking forward to future articles in the same vein.....

It's sad that the other mags never took closer notice before.....We are the community who is spending the money....what do we want to read about?

I'm still trying to figure out why a certain mag insists on publishing an african airliner directory...???? Who cares how many planes Nigeria airlines operates....If you are in the airline industry, then you will know and have access tot hat stuff...not use a flying mag to find out.....

What is going to help you an me become better pilots? Help us choose the right plane to buy? Help us to sell / trade our aircraft?

AP put in the kind of content that we want without asking each supplier to pay for "advertorial" as other mags do....No wonder our content has always been biased....

Another point...If a certain taircraft type vendor is paying to have an article written about their market offering...do you really think that the author/editor will be unbiased - me thinks not - money talks......

Again, well done AP !!!! I hope that these articles give your mag a boost beyond your expectations and encourage you to "honest and unbiased journalism" because you will be rewarded by high circualtion and not dictation by a handful of advertisers....

What do my fellow microlighters have to say?
First solo

Postby 150 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:56 pm

What do my fellow microlighters have to say?
Now more from the stuff, trikes, chopper, gyros etc on a monthly base 8)

Well done AP. :!: :!: :D
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:59 pm

John Miller from SA Flyer is active on AVCOM, let's invite him over here.

I am not sure about Athol Franz from African Pilot.

My 2 gazillion Zim$'s worth.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:25 pm

demon wrote:I have invited john over, i am sure he has looked :D
and surely all are welcome here :?: 8)
I couldn't agree more.. I will e-mail African Pilot. I need to read the article, have got the mag.
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:26 am

AP was well balanced this month. The article on light aircraft was well laid out and a pleasure to peruse. Great to see a bit on Virginia and on the aerobatic course from Margate. Will definitely support this mag in future...
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:52 pm

I dropped African Pilot a line -

Dear Athol,

Go to http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=465

This relates to the survey on light aircraft in the August magazine. As you can see, it drew some comments from some of the members on our forum. Would you care to join in sometime? You might find the exchange of certain information, comments, views etc interesting at times.

... and he replied as follows:

Thank you for your positive feedback. Initially we were only going to undertake this type of feature alternate monthly. However, due to the overwhelming interest we have decided to visit each of the aircraft categories during the coming year continuing with certified piston types in October. With the exception of our February magazine - reserved for our Aviation Service Guide and September magazine - reserved for the Oshkosh and Royal International Air Tattoo reports, we will be covering all categories on a month to month basis.

There are at least 15 categories when one looks at microlights, gyrocopters, turbines, sport aerobatic planes, helicopters, homebuilts and kit builts, light business jets as well as medium and heavy business jets etc. We will also start working on surveys for avionics, transponders, headsets etc. Then in about a years time we will redo the very light aircraft category as there are bound to be several newcomers and some are likely to fall away.

I feel that once the industry realizes that this type of survey has value to readers we will obtain better support from certain advertisers who up to now have only supported our competition. The bottom line in publishing is that we need to be profitable in order to grow the business and plough money back into the magazine, which will return an improved product to our readers. Happily African Pilot has already reached satisfactory profit levels so that we can disregard some of the petty behaviour of certain corporates. In addition our reader market survey is telling us that we are on the right track, but we need to listen to the criticism of our readers in order to improve our content.

Personally I do not believe that I should actively participate on the AVCOM forum. However, you are absolutely correct in your observation that editors should use the forum as a gauge for the feelings of the aviation community. Therefore I regularly visit AVCOM and where possible I will promote the forum in both the weekly AP Newsletter and the magazine. Please feel free to use this e-mail on the forum either in total or in part.

Regards,
Athol Franz
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:42 pm

I'm delighted with the news.....Now I have something to look forward to each month.....

Well done Ace, thanks for uncovering that bit of info......Please post your response from AP in AVCOM as well......
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:56 pm

ACE, I have it on good authority that AF from AP isn't too interested in microlights, more particularily trikes, as they don't have drop tanks!

Any truth in this?
Redeye
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Redeye » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:02 pm

don't haACE, I have it on good authority that AF from AP isn't too interested in microlights, more particularily trikes, as they ve drop tanks!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flying flying flying-- and a bit of gliding
RV Sometime
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby RV Sometime » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:17 pm

There has been a lot of vitriolic comment about both AF and GW on avcom and I personally do not enjoy that side of the forum.

I think that AF did a sterling job with his article in the last edition, and it awakened a desire in me to explore the fun side and to buy a zero frame and engine aerie, which I have not done yet. I'm lurking and looking.

If anybody here feels marginalised cos you fly a microlight, why? You have wings, and you are living out your dreams. Who does not feel on a total high after flying.?

What more can you ask for besides health, sex and wings.

Maybe bad order of priorities. :twisted:
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:49 am

I don't want to get drawn into debates on whether I have
badmouth anyone in open forum.
or my referral to any of the other comments on Avcom.

My post was said in the spirit of the humour that we are all supposed to enjoy, including those that are "quoted" in the humour.

If I have offended anyone personally, then I apologise but trust that you will see the lighter side of my comment.

Case closed.