Frequent Flyer

Best safe low flying areas

Postby DieselFan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Firstly
1. "Don't fly low in areas you don't know"
2. Pull bar a bit to pop if need be
3. Anticipate rotors ahead and plan accordingly
4. Good / calm weather

Yesterday had some awesome flying low, in and around Bapfontein tower area. Powerlines are far apart and there are HUGE cut areas 1.5 wider than trike wing between the mielies. Flying in ground effect over some dirt roads, bar a tad in +-70mph. For almost 40 mins I had no destination other than to play, see a clump of trees and shoot through to there, waving at many of the farm hands. Would love to take them for a flip :roll:

What's your favourite area to fly low? Also what time of day? So far I found afternoons / sunset cruises are best.
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Low flying is definitely a thrill and you cannot beat the coast :-(-( ... low tide you are practically low flying along a runway, safe as houses. Except the sea gulls... I have notices they take off horizontally so aslong as you are over 10feet up you should be fine.

Flying low? I always have my istructors words in my head "Too low, too slow". So always have some airspeed in your back pocket. Incase of engine failure or the need to do a shoot-up due to obstructions or birds or mole hills depending on how low you are.

I always fly one way above the height of any possible obstruction looking for powerlines, ect. Then come back along that track low level.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Too low, too slow and nowhere to go.

Postby John Young » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:56 am

Biggles wrote:"Too low, too slow".
Too low, too slow and nowhere to go. :shock:

Regards
John ZU-CIB
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Too low, too slow and nowhere to go.
Amen
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Bacchus
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Bacchus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:14 pm

I just love low flying!

But ALWAYS where i can land immediately in case of engine failure, and yip, always with bar in for reserve speed! Yes and KNOW the area very well!
ZU-GFC COBRA
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm

I know of at least two ML's with in the last month that took off and on landing after flying a while, found to be having a flat tyre. :shock: :shock: :shock: Now that must have been some low flying. :wink:
Growing old is far more dangerous than flying !!!
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:19 am

Instructor's words:

Height = life

Speed = life insurance

i.e. if you go low, make sure you have life insurance :D
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:17 am

Was chatting to an ex-crop spraying pilot, currently flying aeromag survey for us (low level stuff). He is mad about microlighting and flys a motoparaglider in Oz.

Very interesting conversations about going under power lines, which are the best ones to hit (he had clipped power lines on 3 occasions). The types of damage you get. And what to look out for. All was very much down to experience. But two things that came through was: that they always check the area for hazards before flying low level. And sure as sh#t if there is high ground on iether side of you, there is a wire hanging there aswell.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:35 am

For obvious reasons I will not mention names and places here.

I once visited a friend for a braai at his place in my microlight. Later, he asked me to fly along whilst taking another person for a ride in his microlight.

During our flight, he was skimming the earth and I was flying quite a bit higher.

When we flew over a quarry, he dived into it, stormed the other side and only just, just pulled out of it.

When we landed, he said to me "You are a chicken, hey!" I replied that I also do low flying often and that it is fun, but ONLY if I really know the area well. I asked him what would have happened if his engine quit in the quarry. He replied that a properly maintained engine would not quit, period!

Well, later that day, he asked me to attend to the braai whilst taking someone else for a short flip. After an hour, I became worried and took off to search for them.

Shortly later I saw the scene of a badly bended microlight with two people standing next to it. I landed, they were bruised, but o.k.

He told me what happened. He flew low and stormed some trees with the intention to do a shoot-up just over them. When they reached the trees, the passenger became frightened and in his panic inadvertently touched the kill switch, stopping the engine.

They had just enough flying speed to reach the top of the trees when the wheels caught, flipping the aircraft over and both of them fell with the aircraft inverted to the ground. They were lucky to be alive.

Many years ago, someone in his seventees who was still flying regularly told me: You get old pilots and you get bold pilots. You DO NOT get old bold pilots. He told me how many friends he lost through flying incidents.

Flying low is fun, but I've had more engine outs and belt failures than I care to remember. Always be aware that your engine can quit at any time and always have a suitable landing site ready, even whilst flying low. And always practice engine out landings so that you do not become rusted. It might just save your life one day. Nothing agrivates me more than to hear about a microlight pilot being killed by an engine out situation.

When I fly, my altitude always changes directly in relation to the obstacles on the ground. Remember, most microlights do not glide far. Never, never be in a situation where your life only depends on whether your engine is running or not. Life is just worth much more than that!

Henni
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Agreed

Postby Coyote » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am

I agree totally - your high will reflect your options in the engine goes quite. I had a friend who would love to dive into the valleys and cruise through the valley - If his engine failed it would have been over. Whist flying along the beach there is nothing better that flying low level but there is plenty of landing area if needed.
Coyote
Life looks better from 2000 ft