What to do if an accident happens? - Be prepared

Matters of general interest
Microwave

What to do if an accident happens? - Be prepared

Postby Microwave » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:52 am

Picture that perfect afternoon .... time off work, you push out the plane and off you go for a quick flight either alone or with other guys. No destination in mind, just for fun.

Have you actually thought about what would happen if an accident had to occur? Would anybody miss you if you dont come back? Does anybody know where you went? Can they contact you or your next of kin? Does anybody know about your medical aid status if you need to be rushed to hospital? Where are your car keys? Do you know anything about your flying mates and where they live? etc.

I had never thought about it until it happend to me recently.

My local flying mate and I sneaked off early one afternon for a fun flight. We went to the airfield in his car and took off for a lekker afternoon flight.
We were flying in the mountains some distance from the airfield having a great time. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my mate crashing into the mountain and I was shocked. What now? It was getting dark and I could find no nearby place to land to assist him. I realised then that I would have to leave him and head back for the airfield and come back and assist him on the ground. Fortunately I took the coordinates while I was circling trying to figure out whether he was alive or dead. No sign!!!

Of course when I got back, I realised I had no car keys and could do nothing to get to him. Oh well, I will just phone his wife and get her to fetch me. No reply at home ..oh oh, whats her cell phone number? :shock:

Thank goodnesss for cellphones, at least I could alert the police and arrange an emergency helicopter through other contacts. But what a helpless situation and so frustrating :!: :x

Just think about it guys, what happens if it happens to you while you are out alone :?: Maybe the circumstances could be even more complicated?

There are so many things that can be done to make it easier for others who will be there for you if you are well prepared.

I have suggested a blackboard at the airfield where you put your approximate destination and time of return. Your next of kin's phone number, your home address. A place for the car keys, medical aid details. A note in your aircraft with similar details in case somebody finds you mangled out in the bush maybe. :(

I know its not nice to think about, but the time you save with this could make all the difference. It could save your life or that of your mate's.

Lets hear from you about how we can prepare ourselves for this type of situation. Maybe we can ensure that all airfields are prepared this way? Lets be prepared :idea:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:55 pm

I agree completely with you. The only thing I am concerned about is where to leave these details. I would not be comfortable leaving them in the open, so within a hangar would be great. Alternatively have the club secretary/ airfield manager have these details. So if something happened they would be the first to call. They would have a personal file with all this information in cases of emergency. Then all you have to publish at the airfield is a single "In case of emergency" number

One of the things we were investigating in our bike club is a single dog-tag with all your medical/allergy and contact details on a laminated plastic card that can be attached to plane keys or around your neck.

BTW, what eventually happened to your friend :?:
Greg Perkins
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:51 pm

He discovered that the rate of ascent of his aircraft was less than that of the mountain. At that stage he decided to try and turn out of the situation, but stalled and went in on the bank. He smashed his ankle and knee very badly, broke his pelvis and ruptured his bladder. It was'nt very nice at all. It took us ages to get the plane out of the mountains. We found out that if he had not been rescued and had to spend the night out there that this could have been fatal. Just imagine if nobody knows that you are out there alone in such a condition!!!

He has recovered very well over the 6 months that have passed and he has just recently got back into a new trike. I am so glad to have my flying buddy back again.
cornell
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby cornell » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:31 pm

If something like that happen circle above climb a bit and get hold of your closest ATC and give them the location. This way they can get the ball rolling while you fly back.
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:32 pm

I will eventually get him on the forum. He is probably flying around happily while I suffer from forced abstinence induced by an absence of authority to fly :evil: http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?p=2861#2861
Guzz
First solo

Postby Guzz » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:01 am

I'm sure everyone has heard about the happenings in London with the bombing on the tubes and buses, over the past few weeks..... :!:
What the police have suggested here is that everyone save a contact number on their cell phones and name it ICE. (In Case of Emergency).
I know it might not be relevant in this example, but if somebody witnessed you going down, they could contact your ICE number. This is relevant to anybody, and not just people going flying. You could even be in a car accident! :shock:
Obviously the word has to spread before people will know to look for ICE on your cellphone, but it may be a good way to start by advertising at your clubs.
Just a thought.....
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:06 am

Guzz,

That would certainly be a good idea and may work vey well in our case. As you say it would cover us for other situations as well. I will certainly put an ICE number onto my phone with immediate effect.

Any other ideas guys?
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:10 am

What i have done is i have all my contact details medical aid etc on a dog tags that i wear whenever i go flying, got so used to wearing the Bl@ddy things in the army i made my own set from stainless steel and they work great.

i also have all the contact details of my flying buddy on my phone which my wife has aswell so either or one phone call from me or anybody who finds me and calls the number on my tags and the ball is rolling. :arrow: The ICE idea is very good and should be implemented at all airfields. I would hate to see a prang and then not be able to do anything to help the dude.

I also have First Responder training so just in case i am able to put down and help the person i will. :roll:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members