German BMW Trike

Matters of general interest
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:19 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Seems obvious considering your request above and the result... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:37 pm

We have two DTA's here in CT using BMW engines. They belong to a father and son. The father has the 1150GS engine and the son a 1200GS. They did do some work on the motors, one of which was to remap the ignition systems and fuel injection systems. Both of these pilots are extremely capable pilots and so far they have had many incident free hours on the engines. How many exactly I cannot tell.
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Think it a bit like the VW eng argument. Some have had huge trouble free hrs (Cubby has 650hrs without incident in training environment) and some don't even get off the ground. Depends on the installation and add ons. If it is designed and shipped as a turnkey aerie engine I would suggest it would be more reliable than one which has been adapted as a once off. (Generalisation as I have only seen 2 BMW installations. Both IMHO had iffy add ons...)
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
muehlenstein
Looking at the sky

Postby muehlenstein » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi guys, some infos about the trike you can find here. www.eaglesworld.de. it's not in english yet. we working on it. click eaglesworld and than Galerie or trike and finaly technische Daten. feel free to ask any question jens
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Feel free to ask any question

Postby John Young » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:05 pm

muehlenstein wrote:Hi guys, some infos about the trike you can find here. www.eaglesworld.de. it's not in english yet. we working on it. click eaglesworld and than Galerie or trike and finaly technische Daten. feel free to ask any question jens
OK, let's try :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.htc-hildesheim.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=303 wrote:Auf den folgenden Seiten kannst Du die besondere Fazination des Trike Fliegens entdecken
Follow the link below and You can see and learn about the details of this fascinating trike.
http://www.htc-hildesheim.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=303 wrote:Der Ursprung der heutigen modernen Ultraleichtfliegerei liegt im Trike-Fliegen, dies zeichnet sich bis heute durch seine besondere Nähe zum Drachenfliegen aus.
The suspension is wholly modern and ultra-light on the trike and has details that include drag reduction [Nähe zum Drachenfliegen] :idea: :!: Now that's a good idea :!:
http://www.htc-hildesheim.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=303 wrote:Die nahezu grenzenlose Freiheit des Fliegens verbunden mit einem vergleichsweis einfachen Fluggerät war schon immer ein Menschheitstraum.
The whole craft flies with abundant ease and you can venture where few men have been :!:

OK, Jens & Arnulf - how's that? :lol: :lol:

Regards
John ZU-CIB
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:23 am

Nicht schlecht mein herr.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Miskiet
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Miskiet » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am

Just a reminder - you get a whole range of BMW motorcycle engines. The modern R1200 versions are extremely reliable. They probably will do better than any Rotax product during engine endurance testing (they do a lot of engine dyno work on new engines - at full revs continuously too!)

If you take a 20 year old R80 engine that's already done 200 000 km's and stick it in a trike and rev the c%^p out of it you are going to have failures..... Even if you "rebuild" it by some highly qualified mechanic there will still be parts that has had a very stressed life...
Dre'man
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Dre'man » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:12 am

Miskiet wrote:Just a reminder - you get a whole range of BMW motorcycle engines. The modern R1200 versions are extremely reliable. They probably will do better than any Rotax product during engine endurance testing (they do a lot of engine dyno work on new engines - at full revs continuously too!)

If you take a 20 year old R80 engine that's already done 200 000 km's and stick it in a trike and rev the c%^p out of it you are going to have failures..... Even if you "rebuild" it by some highly qualified mechanic there will still be parts that has had a very stressed life...
You beat me to it. have friends who race Boxer cup, one of the bikes has run three seasons of racing without having to open the motor. That is all the races as well as testing and yes sometimes (often) used on the road.
Not by one owner old lady too the shops :twisted: Would be interested to know the history of the failed motors. Family member has a GS1150 on 230 000km. Including alot of sand roads from overland trips. Also never opened the motor. And no neither motor evens smokes at all.

And then my Quad purchased because it had a rotax broke after 4.5 hrs of running in below 5000rpm.

Not biased toward any particular manufacturer, you can have failures with either.
Flying below power lines on DS650X
And above in nothing
"Too much power is just enough"
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm

Whats the price on a R1200? Just the engine?
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Ich wies nicht was zol est bedeuten - diese masjien ist superior na all masjienen op diese market .
Just in short my german is not that good , I dont understand that much , but if they are approved by Pegasus in the USA and Germany then why dont we get them her - new of course - I can get used low milage for R25,000-00 in JHB fit the box remap ignition and fuel and Fly
Leprachaun
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:30 pm

Leprachaun wrote:Ich wies nicht was zol est bedeuten - diese masjien ist superior na all masjienen op diese market .
As long as you ain't saying something about my mother - cool. I also wouldn't mind a BMW motor for 25k! How much for rest of mods eg, gearbox / belt drive with clutch etc.
Redeye
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Redeye » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:56 pm

When I had a trike at Panarama a few years ago there was a guy that put a 1000cc BMw motor into a Raptor- His wife spent a lot of time fetching him out fiels- He never went on any long fly aways- he had done all the remapping- Duel ignition etc etc- I think the aero conversion kit came from Germany- There were all sorts of problems with cooling and the twin coil system- @ at one stage he had huge airconditioner flexi pipes running from the nose to the cylinders- It looked weird- After about a year of messing around he fitted a 582
Flying flying flying-- and a bit of gliding
Flying Croc
Thinking of flying

BMW engine

Postby Flying Croc » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Looks awesome to me. Jens I would like to know more.

Woun't you please forward some specs.

Regards
If you don't live on the edge, you take up to much space.
muehlenstein
Looking at the sky

BMW trike

Postby muehlenstein » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Arnulf, kennst Du jemanden, der sich mit der Erstabnahmen und Zulassung in SA auskennt? gruss Jens
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:23 pm

Redeye wrote:When I had a trike at Panarama a few years ago there was a guy that put a 1000cc BMw motor into a Raptor- His wife spent a lot of time fetching him out fiels- He never went on any long fly aways- he had done all the remapping- Duel ignition etc etc- I think the aero conversion kit came from Germany- There were all sorts of problems with cooling and the twin coil system- @ at one stage he had huge airconditioner flexi pipes running from the nose to the cylinders- It looked weird- After about a year of messing around he fitted a 582
If it was a 1000cc it must have been one of the old "airhead" motors, NOT in the same class as the modern "oilhead" motors.

I have run my 1200GS for 14 hours with only fuel stops at above 7000rpm all the way without a problem, try that with a Rotax :D

If the gearbox and mapping is sorted I am sure it will be a far superior/cheaper option than a Rattax !

Regards,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)