guidance from the wise men of the forum.....LSA/3 axis

Matters of general interest
wackomedic911
First solo

guidance from the wise men of the forum.....LSA/3 axis

Postby wackomedic911 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Good afternoon all,

Hope everyone is doing well?
Guys I am in need of a bit of guidance from the grey beards of the flying world...
So i completed my weight shift license a year ago, and I really love flying my aquilla, took her up to the Botswana airshow in May, but now im itching to try something a bit different, and a bit faster with longer legs too.....

Short of going PPL ( i would prefer doing something where I can actually own my own aircraft) I am leaning towards acquiring a bantam/bathawk or something similar, and doing the conversion needed.

My question is this, I am a fairly big lad, big boned I have described as before, at 120kg, so keeping that, and a budget of no more than say R150k in mind, and I live in Centurion, and fly from Kroon in the Norf of Pretoria, what would be my best options to look at? and is it worth it?
I WILL NOT be selling my trike, as I enjoy her too much.
MTOW being my major concern at 4330 ft MSL. Clever boy I am I married a small petite lady, so all in we would be 180/190kg pax weight.

any feedback, guidance, or pointing in the right direction would really be appreciated (^^) (^^) .
ZU-CEK
Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

— Amelia Earhart
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: guidance from the wise men of the forum.....LSA/3 axis

Postby JvTonder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am

Kyk vir 'n mooi Bushbaby, kry elke nou en dan een vir 'n goeie prys. Dis wat ek gedoen het en weeg ook dieselfde.

Jy sal jou en vroulief kan op vat met so plusminus 56kg se brandstof, of selfs bietjie meer.
Flying feeds the soul!
wackomedic911
First solo

Postby wackomedic911 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 am

JvTonder wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am
Kyk vir 'n mooi Bushbaby, kry elke nou en dan een vir 'n goeie prys. Dis wat ek gedoen het en weeg ook dieselfde.

Jy sal jou en vroulief kan op vat met so plusminus 56kg se brandstof, of selfs bietjie meer.
thanks JV, watse motor hardloop jy in joune? en wats jou endurance en cruising speed?
ZU-CEK

— Amelia Earhart
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Well, I am 1.82 and 95 Kg and it is a little bit too cosy for me in the Bushbaby. I would rather look at an Explorer Mark 2 or the Safari. with the 100 Rotax or 3300 Jabi.
But just call Stefan at Petit saplanes.co.za. He always has some nicely priced birds up his sleeve. Go there and find out (it is the Bushbaby factory) how you fit in and take a spin.
I do not want to get in trouble with the Bantam guys, but from my point of view the Bantam is more in between (Speed, open cockpit etc) trike and 3axis. The later KFA planes are real allrounders and a joy to fly (I own a share of a Safari myself). And the company support is superb.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm

wackomedic911 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:22 am
JvTonder wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am

thanks JV, watse motor hardloop jy in joune? en wats jou endurance en cruising speed?
Het om verkoop maar myne het die 912xtra in gehad, so tussen 90-95hp met pprop. Kruis spoed was so tussen 90 - 100mph teen + - 13lph, ek het gewerk op 15lph.
Flying feeds the soul!
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm

okflyer wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm
Well, I am 1.82 and 95 Kg and it is a little bit too cosy for me in the Bushbaby. I would rather look at an Explorer Mark 2 or the Safari. with the 100 Rotax or 3300 Jabi.
But just call Stefan at Petit saplanes.co.za. He always has some nicely priced birds up his sleeve. Go there and find out (it is the Bushbaby factory) how you fit in and take a spin.
I do not want to get in trouble with the Bantam guys, but from my point of view the Bantam is more in between (Speed, open cockpit etc) trike and 3axis. The later KFA planes are real allrounders and a joy to fly (I own a share of a Safari myself). And the company support is superb.
That is out off his price range. I am 1.78 and 120kg and a bit tight but not that bad. He and his wife should be fine but only way to know is to go to KFA and "fit" one.
Flying feeds the soul!
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26767

I am 120kg and also a bit porky...… I am not too tall at 1.8 with shoes on (high heels-) )I do fit a BB and with the 582 I can fly in the middle of the day in summer from Petit and still have a reasonable climb. I would not recommend two of my size doing short fields but it does fly. Best is to come have a look and lets chat....
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
wackomedic911
First solo

Postby wackomedic911 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm

KFA wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I am 120kg and also a bit porky...… I am not too tall at 1.8 with shoes on (high heels-) )I do fit a BB and with the 582 I can fly in the middle of the day in summer from Petit and still have a reasonable climb. I would not recommend two of my size doing short fields but it does fly. Best is to come have a look and lets chat....
cheers sir! mind in boxing me contact details?
I am in Libya for work till September, then I can can swing by? thank you so much for the input.
ZU-CEK

— Amelia Earhart
Goose
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 pm

wackomedic911 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm
KFA wrote:

I am in Libya for work till September, then I can can swing by? thank you so much for the input.

I’m 1.98 (with out High Heels) and a bit more PORKY than Stefan, I tried on there new model for size and must say its a nice piece of kit. Go and have a look at there factory all the models are there, you won’t be sorry.

Groete
Goose
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 pm

wackomedic911 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm
KFA wrote:

You are welcome to swing by.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 pm

NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!