What's happening with the weather?

Matters of general interest
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

What's happening with the weather?

Postby John.com » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 am

Am I the only one who cannot understand what is happening with the weather?

I have never experienced such consistently K@K weather in November and December in the northern reaches of country (Gauteng and North West).

Yesterday morning was flyable, but these are very small windows of opportunity.

Any comments or commiserations?

John.com
a.k.a. 'Weatherman', now 'Weatherman of old'
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: What's happening with the weather?

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 am

I feel your frustration John.

Yesterday afternoon looked nice after the thunderstorm, The windsock was about as lazy as I felt, except that a strong gust came out of nowhere every now and then. Not worth the risk in my overly conservative opinion.
Besides, after spending almost the whole the day cleaning the bird, I didn't have the nerve to taxi her out onto a muddy wet runway anyway.

Generally, I can't remember what happened yesterday, but I do recall that the afternoon thunderstorms are common this time of year, and don't remember ever being able to log decent flying time in December, you know, when it's convenient and we're all on leave.
Byron Kirkland
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm

We were lucky to get a window Saturday morning after the heavy thunderstorms of Friday night :)

Myself and Gary(Alpha) camped out at Crosswinds and at 5am Saturday morning, it was looking shweet ##

Took a pax for an awesome flip around Hartees, saw three balloons and some paragliders...he loved it (-)

Myself, Gary, Gavin, Neil, Jan and Paul camped out at the airfield Saturday which was really awesome ##

Saturday arvie it started pouring again, Sunday morning again was an awesome window for flying ##

I love that all this rain has made Crosswinds and the surrounding areas greener than ever =D*

As for the wx being so unpredictable...it sucks as we were at the airfield when it showed the wind will be pumping, but there was nothing ##

I prefer being at the airfield seeing for myself as the wx predictions are not always accurate (**)

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
wackomedic911
First solo

Postby wackomedic911 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm

it just better smooth out when I get home on Saturday! I am itching to fly like you wont believe!!!!
ZU-CEK
Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.

— Amelia Earhart
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 am

You lucky buggers up there, getting all the rain. Down here we getting buggerall! Lots of good weather to fly, and lots of wind to play in, but not a drop to drink! :roll: :shock: :cry:
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Go to Google earth. Go to the amazon basin. That is where most of our winter rain moisture is coming from. Zoom in on the large scale devastation, brought by roads built into the heart of the Amazon, slash and burn on the edges, deforestation along the roads. GREED and Money rules. Our poor planet does not stand a chance. And for those who expect a lot of rain along the dried out western parts of our beloved country, bad news. IT IS NOT GOING TO GET BETTER SOON.
About ten years ago, some clever alec predicted, that one day, in the not too distant future, the whole west coast of SA will become a desert. I remember that. It seems for once that the clever alec knew what he was talking about.