Flying the transkei coast

Matters of general interest
in the sticks
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Flying the transkei coast

Postby in the sticks » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:51 am

I have a landing strip 10 minutes inland from Mngazana river mouth and south of Port st Johns.I have accomodation available.which is quite basic at this stage.I have a hangar which can house 2 microlights which was originally built to hangar a Jabiru,I have one microlight hangared here at the moment.I am busy kicking the ball around at the moment to see if there would be any support for trikes to use my facility. If so i would build a bigger hangar and upgrade the facilities. The runway is 400 meters long. Facilities include a swimming pool, awesome pub with pool table and big screen TV.Plenty seafood
GavinL-W
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Flying the transkei coast

Postby GavinL-W » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Sounds awesome!
coline
First solo

Postby coline » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:55 pm

All that is missing now is the co ords and the runway instructions!
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:59 pm

coline wrote:All that is missing now is the co ords and the runway instructions!
Agree ##
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

vhpy
We are a few trikes flying from the Rand to Margate very soon (50day).
I will like to visit you during our stay in Msargate and will also bring some other trikers along. Will also like to sleep over at least one night.
Think about a nice Crayfish recipe in the meantime.
(^^)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
HansK
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HansK » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 am

Put your field and facilities on EasyPlan.
in the sticks
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby in the sticks » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:33 am

The co,ords are S31,41,148 E029,14,589 Blue max you will be most welcome, Not to worry we got quite a few crayfish recipes here Vernon from Port Edward has been to my place. I am sure he wouldnt mind hitching a ride for a few oysters lol Looking forward to meeting you
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:14 pm

in the sticks wrote:I have a landing strip 10 minutes inland from Mngazana river mouth and south of Port st Johns.I have accomodation available.which is quite basic at this stage.I have a hangar which can house 2 microlights which was originally built to hangar a Jabiru,I have one microlight hangared here at the moment.I am busy kicking the ball around at the moment to see if there would be any support for trikes to use my facility. If so i would build a bigger hangar and upgrade the facilities. The runway is 400 meters long. Facilities include a swimming pool, awesome pub with pool table and big screen TV.Plenty seafood
Sounds very exciting, I am in with Blue Max, would love to spend a night there ##

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi in the sticks

There is a group of us comming down for our annual Kroon-Margate Trip on the 23 of April 2016.as Blue Max has mentioned. We will once again consist of a mixture of 5 or 6 trikes a Savanna or 2 and a Bush Baby. What we would like to do is fly down to the Hole in the Wall. We would be in need to refuel at some point but the Problem is that we will refuel @ Port st Johns with the extra fuel we"ll be carring on board, but we would only have enough (safely) for our retun back from PSJ. to Margate. If you could supply us with decent clean fuel we will be able to do the trip all the way to the "Wall" and back to Margate. I am sure the Guys will be willing to pay a surcharge for your efforts in this regard and would also be delighted to give your place the support and exposure to the right pilots. Please be so kind as to supply us with the GPS CO-Ods in deg min and sec. aswell as over night costs and your Seafood menu for those of us who would like nice fresh Seafood, like Blue Max me and my wife and those of us that decides to sleep over perhaps. I believe Blue Max and Madman definately want to stay over. I will take it up with our group and find out if anyone else would be keen and how much fuel we would require.

Thank you
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Anyone who decides to go to Kevin's place will not regret it. Its a short flight 18 miles direct flight to kwanyana from Port St Johns. I do suggest an early call to Kevin with numbers. Of course nearer the time. (^^)
Cheers,
Vernon.
in the sticks
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby in the sticks » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:25 am

Wingover1 wrote:Hi in the sticks

There is a group of us comming down for our annual Kroon-Margate Trip on the 23 of April 2016.as Blue Max has mentioned. We will once again consist of a mixture of 5 or 6 trikes a Savanna or 2 and a Bush Baby. What we would like to do is fly down to the Hole in the Wall. We would be in need to refuel at some point but the Problem is that we will refuel @ Port st Johns with the extra fuel we"ll be carring on board, but we would only have enough (safely) for our retun back from PSJ. to Margate. If you could supply us with decent clean fuel we will be able to do the trip all the way to the "Wall" and back to Margate. I am sure the Guys will be willing to pay a surcharge for your efforts in this regard and would also be delighted to give your place the support and exposure to the right pilots. Please be so kind as to supply us with the GPS CO-Ods in deg min and sec. aswell as over night costs and your Seafood menu for those of us who would like nice fresh Seafood, like Blue Max me and my wife and those of us that decides to sleep over perhaps. I believe Blue Max and Madman definately want to stay over. I will take it up with our group and find out if anyone else would be keen and how much fuel we would require.

Thank you
Hi Wingover, getting fuel for you guys will be no problem, Just let me know how much fuel you will require.As this is going to be new to me I reckon R200 bed and breakfast is reasonable.You wont be dissappointed with the seafood.In my Aquilla the closest beach is Mpande which is 10min flying time from my place
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi i.t.s
Excellent news. I remember Mpande Bay as a kid and used to spend many care free moments swimming there. My folks owned a Spanish type house with a red roof they had built in 1970 @ First Beach Marine Drive. I spent all my school holidays and long weekends in Port st Johns. I even met Rodger Moore( 007) back then, down there while he was making the movie called Shout at the Devil. Sadly the house was sold in 1976 due to Traskei's independence and my folks moved up to the Natal South Coast. Sorry I got carried away somewhat but those were the best times in my life. We will definately make use of your kindness, however a date will not be able to be set because of the weather having the deciding factor so obviously we will let you know on short notice. Let me make use of this oportunity to thank you once a gain for your co operation and special rates put aside for our group, wich I must admit are most certainly very fair indeed. We are looking forward to meet you.
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Dear Vernon.
I hope I will finally have the opportunity to meet you in person. The previous 2 times you were able to slip through between my fingers, however I have a feeling it will be different this year. I believe you are plane - less at this stage but that will not be a problem because I'll be bringing my Aquilla down this year and you are most welcome to burn a ride with me so I will be able to tap in to your vast experience on flying the formidable but awesome Wild coast and surroundings. My first year I flew down from Thabazimbi in my Windlass 503 so weight issues was a problem carring pax, so luckily Oom Polla aka Blue Max offered to take my wife Amanda with him on the long trip to Port st Johns. Last yearI bought a AQuilla 582 from Hans @ Microland ( Blue Max's old aerie) with a topless wing and was looking so forward in flying down when tragedy struck. Amanda had a terrible accident with boiling cooking oil, after she picked the pot up and she accidently dropped it on her bare feet and had to spend more than a week in Hospital in Thabazimbi. So I had to drive down and just spend the time nuturing her. This year myself and Mandy will be trailering down and will meet you at Dave's hanger in Munster come Hell or High water.
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Wingover1 wrote:Dear Vernon.
I hope I will finally have the opportunity to meet you in person. The previous 2 times you were able to slip through between my fingers, however I have a feeling it will be different this year. I believe you are plane - less at this stage but that will not be a problem because I'll be bringing my Aquilla down this year and you are most welcome to burn a ride with me so I will be able to tap in to your vast experience on flying the formidable but awesome Wild coast and surroundings. My first year I flew down from Thabazimbi in my Windlass 503 so weight issues was a problem carring pax, so luckily Oom Polla aka Blue Max offered to take my wife Amanda with him on the long trip to Port st Johns. Last yearI bought a AQuilla 582 from Hans @ Microland ( Blue Max's old aerie) with a topless wing and was looking so forward in flying down when tragedy struck. Amanda had a terrible accident with boiling cooking oil, after she picked the pot up and she accidently dropped it on her bare feet and had to spend more than a week in Hospital in Thabazimbi. So I had to drive down and just spend the time nuturing her. This year myself and Mandy will be trailering down and will meet you at Dave's hanger in Munster come Hell or High water.
Yes, We must get to meet. As you said " come hell or high water" I remember Amanda burning herself. That was terrible. We also had a torrid time at that stage. My wife Veronica had been in hospital with colon cancer. Thank heavens, it was caught early.

I would like to ask here, for people to try if possible to support Kevin in his new venture. If successful it can be a lovely stop over for many pilots. At the present price of R200.00 p/p a night, it is a gift. It will also encourage him to increase the facilities, as demands increase.
Cheers,
Vernon.
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:51 pm

We will definately support Kevin as long as the weather lets us. We are all going down with one thing on our minds and that is to fly the Wild Coast and with him being able to supply us with a place to land clean petrol and a place to sleep over I promise you Kevin will become a annual event in our diaries for our Group. well I lied there is actually one other thing on our minds and that is fresh afordable seafood. As soon as we have put up our pictures after our return you will see how many enquieries and bookings he'll get. I have asked him to give me his runway co ods in deg min and sec but unfortunately he hasn't responded yet so if you have them aswell as his cell no please give it to me. Thank you.
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby