Flight from Plettenburg Bay to KZN

Matters of general interest
phislett1
Ready for the first flight

Flight from Plettenburg Bay to KZN

Postby phislett1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi all

I am currently doing my WCM license and when I'm done, looking to buy a trike. There is a beauty for sale in Plett and will consider purchasing it when I'm done. I am not too sure whether it's a better idea to trailer it to Durban surrounding areas (either Cato Ridge or Ballito, depending on hangarage availablity) or fly it here after taking a bus to Plett. If I fly from Plett, what airfields are available along that route that allow me to refuel, and is there one near East London? I think I would sleep there one night as it is about half way between Durban and Plett. Take into mind that I will be a brand new pilot so maybe such a long journey in unfamiliar territory isn't a great idea.. But I would definitely put a lot of thought into planning and I have the coast to follow as well as GPS.

Any advice and info is appreciated. Philip
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Flight from Plettenburg Bay to KZN

Postby vernon11 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Phillip. our runway is at Munster. Between Port Edward and Margate. If You need fuel just give me a shout. 0834598673. If you need to stay over for the night, we have a bed.
regards
Vernon.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:45 am

So nice to see you finally on your journey to your dream Phillip...I wish you all the best...exciting times this "first aerie" shopping is! (^^)

My honest advise to you is that you should trailer your purchase if it is far away..(like Plett or Gauteng)

Take a long weekend...drive down, stay at a local BnB and test fly your plane before you sign...Then...if happy... its an easy EFT, collect all logbooks and the filling in of the Change of Ownership form (for CAA) and load the plane on your trailer....straight to your local AP for the compulsory Inspection that needs to be done...
I advise you to keep at least R5k available in your budget for the costs...(AP Inspection, CAA, RAASA, Courierfees, and any minor additional work that may need doing?)

I will keep my eyes and ears open for you for any nice trikes up in Gauteng too... (!!)

If however, you are keen on the adventure of a long distance flight,discuss it with your CFI first...and heed his/her advice! No one will know better than him whether you are ready for this type of cross country? Remember too that you will be flying a trike you don't know...and believe me it does take a bit of getting used to. (^^)

Best of luck Phillip, enjoy your training! (!!)
GavinL-W
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby GavinL-W » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:05 am

When purchasing a trike you can always ask a nearby AP if he won't mind going to look at the plane with you, they will know if you are about to purchase a gem or a lemon. Their experience could save you lots of time and hassle .
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm

GavinL-W wrote:When purchasing a trike you can always ask a nearby AP if he won't mind going to look at the plane with you, they will know if you are about to purchase a gem or a lemon. Their experience could save you lots of time and hassle .
So True. Very good advice. (^^)
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:58 pm

vernon11 wrote:
GavinL-W wrote:When purchasing a trike you can always ask a nearby AP if he won't mind going to look at the plane with you, they will know if you are about to purchase a gem or a lemon. Their experience could save you lots of time and hassle .
So True. Very good advice. (^^)
Also, Bundy's advice is very sound.
in the sticks
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby in the sticks » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:54 pm

If you are not transponder equipped you would have to route inland to Progress flying school and the same applies to East London. You would have to route inland to Wings park.As a newbie pilot i would suggest you trailer the trike back. Nothing worse than being caught in bad turbulence inland without too many hours under your belt. it could frighten you off flying for ever.
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Or you ask me to fly it home for you :wink: :wink:
phislett1
Ready for the first flight

Postby phislett1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks for the advice all! Will definitely keep it all in mind. I think it's safer to trailer it back, although that'll involve 12-13 hours of driving either way :roll: I guess it's a good excuse for a family holiday :lol: I'll definitely ask an AP to have a look at the aircraft with me.

Safe flying!

Philip
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Phillip how is your training comming on have you solo'd yet or have you finished. You have had excellent advise by some wise experienced pilots my 5 cents worth is stick to it and don't get over confident once you have finished your training. I went through the same scenario. I did my traing @ Microland but I live near Koedoeskop on a game farm. So I also bought my first aerie far from home in Hoedspruit and I decided to trailer her back to Microland on Fanie and Mervyn's advise where they checked out my Aerie to make sure everything was in order and to test fly her before I was to fly her from Microland to my farm. My Aerie's ap was done by the local AP only to find out that it lapsed and secondly Fanie was not happy with a couple of things so I had to get that sorted before he finally signed her off. I took her for a test flight and decided there and then not even to fly her through but rather to trailer her back to my farm where I slowly got used to her because she handled completely different to what I was used to on the schools trikes. Well after a couple of years and flying down to Margate from my farm I realised with my weight it was time to upgrade to a 582 I bought one from Oom Hans @ Microland with a topless wing made by Jenya and once again I opted for the trailer and went one step futher. I got Jenya to come out to fit 2 wingletts and to help me with putting up the wing I then also got him to take me for a "conversion" on the Topless here on my farm. The rest is history done quite a few hours on my 582 with my wife. Maybe just maybe if your trip coincides with our annual Margate trip on the 23rd of April you can meet up with us in Margate we'll help you with putting up your wing and then you can join us flying the wild coast in a group and not trying to do it on your lonesome. :roll:
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby