FAPX Paradise to Pyramid done and dusted.

Matters of general interest
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

FAPX Paradise to Pyramid done and dusted.

Postby Slabfish » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:07 pm

My delivery flight went smooth-ish and I want to thank a couple of guys who went out their way too help with fuel and making the trip so much more enjoyable without worrying about the fuel take-ons.
We left Paradise airfield at about 9 am after waiting since 4 am for the low cloud to lift, got news from Johan at Uitenhage that we would get through under the cloud there and we where on our way.

Once past Swartkops river it was clear skies all the way.
We had a nice smooth scenic flight coast-wise all the way to East London.
I landed at Wings Park and was surprised by a well kept and organized airfield. Andrew sold us some gas and after a friendly chat we where off to Margate.
By now we where already running late by 4 hours as I had booked a room for the night at Emoyeni and wanted to overnight there.

What was supposed to be a 2.5 hr flight became a 3 hr 15 min flight as we encountered strong NE winds halfway from Wings Park to Margate. There was no ways it was going to be a scenic flight that I had hoped for. Low down the N E was starting to show its colors and we had to stay high to evade the headwind and turbulence. After 2 hrs out of Wings Park I had to make the call on another fuel stop or not. Although there was enough airfields on the way,I had not made any arrangements for fuel in the Transkei and was not going to sit somewhere in Transkei for the night. So after calculating our fuel and distance and headwind situation I reckoned that I would make it with my 10 L reserve and economic RPM setting of 5250 and 75 knots IAS on the 582 I was cruising at.
We had to stay high to get away from the headwind as it was pumping with the sea full of white horses and rolling waves from the N E wind blowing .
The headwind got stronger and the fuel gage stared to flicker in the red about 20 nm from Margate and our ground speed had dropped to 35 mph :shock: .
I knew we had a good reserve as I was the one who calibrated the Stratomaster`s fuel setup to show empty with a 10 L reserve, but still unnerving when you see red on the fuel gage and the airfield is taking forever to get closer.
With the recent Cessna accident on the South coast still fresh in my mind, I started looking out for possible landing areas but could only see lots of green bush and trees and narrow overgrown roads with electric lines all over with the occasional overgrown Golf green. By now we where descending for Margate, the cars where overtaking us when we looked down by now. I asked for a straight in approach because of our fuel situation and hectic turbulence as we descended. In contact with the tower all the time for the last hour or so and getting good advice from the control man.
I was so relieved when I got the airfield visual, but another danger was waiting for me on finals as I was warned in advance by the control tower about the hectic turbulence I could expect on finals coming over the trees.
By now the N Easter was 30 gusting 35 to 40 pumping knots :shock:
And turbulence was hectic coming in on long finals, the worst I have encountered in my flying career . So much so that it felt like the Jora was going to flip over from time to time :shock:
With hands and feet working overtime and my guardian (-) guiding us in we made it over the fence. I had to fly the Jora more than halfway down the runway at about 20 ft agl before I got a little break in the turbulence to put her down, now with feet and hands shaking :mrgreen:
Well, the people that know Margate apparently know how hectic the turbulence can get landing into a strong N Easterly wind :shock: lets just say it was an interesting landing vhpy .
I had to hold the wing while filling fuel at the fuel bouzer as it felt like the Jora was not done flying for the day :)
We got sorted out with fuel, by the way, we still had 9 Litersof fuel left in the tank. That could have lasted another 45 minutes.
After an ice cold beer where after the second beer (^^) I had stopped shaking vhpy , we had a lovely steak from the canteen.
There was no way we would be sleeping at Emoyeni tonight, so we slept at a B&B within walking distance from Margate Airfield, very handy overnight stop.

Next morning we where at the plane at 3:30 am, wishful thinking as it only got light at 4:30.am.
I had arranged with Morne, a fellow foremite for fuel at Vryheid, thank you again Morne (^^) (^^) I owe you one.
As we flew inland and passed PMB we saw a neat tarmac airfield at Greytown and decided to land and see if we could get some fuel there, by now you should follow my drift--way of thinking---- low fuel---NOT again will I fly with marginal fuel.
We where pleasantly surprised to see the setup at Greytown, what a organized establishment ! We got treated with coffee and another friendly chat with the guys there and they sold us some fuel, we only took on 30 Liters.
We arrived at Vryheid, also a very nice tarmac airfield, a little while later and met up with Morne who very kindly brought us some fuel to fill-up. Guys like Morne make me proud to belong to this forum, always prepared to help someone you never met before (^^) .
It was now about 11 am and it was starting to warm up nicely by this time . I was getting worried about thunder storms over the mountains further up north, so we said our goodbye`s to Morne and headed for Pyramid.
The small blue and black puffs of clouds started to gather and the turbulence was starting to shake us around a bit.
We climbed to 8500 ft and the cloud base was about 10,000 ft, here we found a nice smooth layer to sit in and as long as you keep about 1,500 under those cloud you are fine, get to high and close to them and they want to suck you up with a lot of turbulence .We stayed in that smooth layer right up to the last mountains before the Barberton valley.
Descending through the gap in the mountains was a bit turbulent but we soon had Pyramid in sight and landed at Brian`s well kept airfield and greeted my long lost brother with a nice cup of coffee.
Thank you for always making us feel welcome Brian (^^)
Of course the reason for this trip to Barberton was to deliver the Jora we sold to Deon as he lives close to Brian at Pyramid.-----Well, by the look on his face with a smile as wide a Barbrton valley, Deon and his son took delivery of their new baby and was at the same time assured that they had bought a GEM , unseen, paid the money into my account, me being a complete stranger to him :shock: . This is what I like about forums.
And the fact that the Jora flew from Jeffreys Bay to Barberton without a missing a beat.

It was now time to take the new owners for their first ride and to see if the Jora will fit into Deon`s airfield which he flies his trike out of. Never the less, a few precautionary and touch and goes later we managed and Deon was satisfied that he would not have to lengthen his 450 meter Runway :mrgreen: (^^)
So-- congratulations with your newly acquired Jora Deon, may you have many blessed (-) and safe hours of joy flying in her .
Attachments
PYRAMID.jpg
PYRAMID.jpg (46.91 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
JJORA MARGATE.jpg
JJORA MARGATE.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
TRANSKEI.jpg
TRANSKEI.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
JORA IN  FLIGHT.jpg
JORA IN FLIGHT.jpg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
FLIHGT.jpg
FLIHGT.jpg (39.07 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Last edited by Slabfish on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: FAPX Paradise to Pyramid done and dusted.

Postby nicow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your flight with us (^^) (^^) (^^)
Deon,congrats on your new airie (^^) (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:21 pm

:)
Thanks SlabFish.
This is the type of story that will keep the forum alive.
There must be plenty experiences like this one.!
(^^)
Ek is bly om te sien dat dit nie net trikers is wie oor die wind worry nie.!
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Super story
http://www.valleyflightsmicrolighting.com
Jabiru Instructor ( Grade B)
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Nice story (^^) (^^) (^^)

Sounds like a memroble trip vhpy vhpy

Enjoy your new baby Deon ##
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:36 am

Nice Slabfish. Thanks for sharing your trip. Cross country is always a challenge.

Deon enjoy your new baby.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Slabfish » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:27 am

mulderpm wrote:Nice Slabfish. Thanks for sharing your trip. Cross country is always a challenge.

Deon enjoy your new baby.
I must admit that I was getting a bit slack with flying, especially after just flying around the cabbage patch for the last couple of years. But after this flight I feel a re newed need to do more fly-ins and long cross-counties. I am even thinking of doing a 14 day camping tour around the country next year around March or April :mrgreen:
Anybody joining ? (^^)
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
ZUDOD
Pre flight checks done

Postby ZUDOD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:24 am

Such a trip is also on my wish list for 2016. Do you already have a route in mind?
Wiets Beukes
ZU-DOD
ZU-IFL
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:10 am

Massimo, is also interested. He started this year in October but prolonged bad weather stopped him. April, May & June are good months for doing this trip.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24858
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks very nice read1

If I may ask since you sold your Jorra what are you going to use for the trip?
Flying feeds the soul!
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Slabfish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:17 pm

ZUDOD wrote:Such a trip is also on my wish list for 2016. Do you already have a route in mind?
I will start at Jeffreys Bay then work my way down the Coast past Still Baai, then towards Cape Town way, then up the West Coast, do Tankwa, to the WestCoast again and then RichtersVeld.
I want to do a Circle route. From the Nam border head East and eventually end up at Pyramid-Nelspruit.
Then back towards the Natal North Coast. and work my way down the Eastcoast to aventually hit the Transkei Coast and back home.
All just in the mind and dreaming still (-)
mulderpm wrote:Massimo, is also interested. He started this year in October but prolonged bad weather stopped him. April, May & June are good months for doing this trip.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24858
I have March, April, May in mind. I have those 3 months free :) .
JvTonder wrote:Thanks very nice read1

If I may ask since you sold your Jorra what are you going to use for the trip?
Johan we bought a new Short wing Jora, the one I had for Sale here on the forum.
This is our 3 rd new Jora we are buying in our partnership. Geuss that makes me a Jora "Knut" (**)

Regard
Clem
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:28 am

Hi Clem, nice flight mate.

Just something to share with you and anyone caught on the Wild Coast with North Easterly headwinds, and you need to get to Durban or the North Coast..

Those Easterlies that howl down the coast are being 'sucked in' by the S/W that usually follows the next day. We have taken off with trikes into a 20kt Easterly Headwind at Coffee Bay and also The Haven, to fly back to Groutville on the North Coast. Climb to between 5500 and 6500 Alt and you get a 10-15kt tailwind. One one journey, I arrived at Margate with 18 gusting 28Kt Easterly, whilst at altitude I had a 20kt tailwind. That particular journey, I flew from Coffee Bay to La Mercy (now King Shaka International) in just over 3.5 hours flying time. On the ground at La Mercy, the same headwind as Margate - 20kts.

So if ever you are 'caught' with nasty Easterly headwinds along the Wild Coast, chances are good you'll find Westerly Tailwinds at altitude. It does become an issue to transit through Durban International Airspace, but tower accommodated my request to remain at altitude on those occasions...

When its just the usual 5 -8kt Easterly, climbing normally does not help, as that is just the prevailing daily coriollis effect sea breeze..

Cheers and thanks for the story..
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Slabfish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks David, all true and thanks for sharing your valuable experience with us. Local knowledge is very valuable and never be shy to ask, even phone ahead to your towers you will be passing and familiarize yourself on what to expect from them when you arrive or entering and passing their airspace.
In my case Leaving Paradise was planned to leave just as the Westerly started with exactly what you said in mind.
In fact we left Paradise Beach in a 25 knt West wind.
Went up to 6000 ft and found a bit of relief but was surprised to see no westerly flow even at 8000 ft.
If you guys fly to the Transkei again , contact me, we might make a plan to meet up
somewhere half way .
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora