Flying in the rain.

Matters of general interest
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Flying in the rain.

Postby klein » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:15 pm

I did some flying in light rain, no prob (Rotax 503) on trike.

I would however be very interested to hear what the experts say,
Is this recommended or not. The only concern I have, is the moisture that is sucked with the air, threw the air filters??
(^^)
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris
witwillem
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Flying in the rain.

Postby witwillem » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Dis nou moeilikheid soek se dinge , die ejen houni van water nie sal di pistons laat seize en krank verniel die olie , pretrol en water meng en dan sie jy jouse agteren sonner spieltjir witwillem
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:53 am

Personally I would avoid it if at all possible....over and above the possibility of moisture finding its way into the engine (it would have to be a serious downpour)...I don't think the comms system will appreciate it much? ^

Having rain drops on your visor also negatively affects your visibility.

My advice...avoid it. :)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Bundy wrote:Personally I would avoid it if at all possible....over and above the possibility of moisture finding its way into the engine (it would have to be a serious downpour)...I don't think the comms system will appreciate it much? ^

Having rain drops on your visor also negatively affects your visibility.

My advice...avoid it. :)
Even after half an hour or so in moderate rain , the engine does not faulter at all. The comms usually failes within the first 10 minutes, and starts Buzzing,...no pun intended. Rain drops on your visor also seriously reduces your vision, more so than the rain. It is definitely not advisable, and must be avoided if at all possible. If encountered on route, rather fly around it, or land....
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:32 am

Heya ##

Got caught in rain on route to Ntokozo once (**) Just got my license and it was the Cowboys and Can Can Girls flyinn at Tribal's place. Took off from Circus airfield and it was all clear, not long after passing Panorama a sudden down pour happened and I was soaked...hit a 180 and pulled bar back to Circus where it was dry (**)

Not a nice feeling at all...as for the rain on the visor, turning your head sideways clears the visor...old biker trick ($$)

(^^)
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Also the prop does not like the water. Saw a prop that was flying in the rain and e leading edge was done for. Needed a whole new prop
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Getting caught in rain with a trike is not a sin. Many pilots all over the world have been caught out by rain, me included. But have a back door open and get out of it as soon as possible, because we are only cleared to fly VFR. As everyone else already mentioned:

-Your comms might not like it, depending on type and where it is located in your trike.
-Visors can be given the biker treatment, even an in-flight wipe with your glove helps (Madman knows)
-A wooden prop and big rain drops = land ASAP (Piet, I assume you were referring to a wooden prop).
-Water spray does get into the filters, but the air is rather disturbed in pusher configuration. (Keep in mind that air on a 90%-plus humidity day also runs throught the engine). I would however limit time in rain and run the engine once back in the hangar to dry everything out.

However, the single biggest thing to be aware of when flying in rain is your wing.
The longer you stay in the rain the flight characteristics of a trike wing will gradually change from good to bad to ugly. Many times without you noticing it. Roll rate will decrease slowly, pitch gets affected, airspeed is affected and the stall slowly creeps up into a zone that you are unfamiliar with.

Bottom line, be aware of increased stall speed and fly out of the rain ASAP, or find a place to land.
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby klein » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks for all the response guys. (^^)

Surly learnt something here!! (^^)
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris
bryan
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby bryan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:47 am

I agree with Kloot pilot. As a test I have purposely gone up above the field in light drizzle. Firstly put a plastic bag over radio so had coms all the time. Firstly no visible damage to prop but my prop regularly gets waxed so perhaps the Warp drive is immune. Goggles filled with water so much that I had to tip them up a few times to drain them. BUT ...... Beware.... The wing slowly gets wet .It becomes heavier and starts to give less lift until there is a real danger of pushing the bar so far out to continue flying that a stall will occur. I am extremely glad I did this test since I have some idea how much rain I can handle if in a flight where it cannot be avoided. In real scenario I would advise avoid the rain and if the wing has got wet on the ground be extremely careful when taking off, you might need a lot of runway. By the way ,the trusty 503 never whimpered once! Or since!