Cost and duration

Matters of general interest
Fatfrank
Signed up at flight school

Cost and duration

Postby Fatfrank » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 am

I have a mate that lives out of the country that would like to do his Micro license.

I know it is a bit like a piece of string but can someone advise as to how long it would take and what would the cost be.

I am a PPL with N/R (+ 350 hrs) and might also want to do it, advice please.
rcbgreen
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Cost and duration

Postby rcbgreen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:16 pm

I see no-one has replied from a flight school side so let me give you my experience. I qualified in Feb this year.
You need the minimum 25 hours if you have not had any flying experience. Of that 10 hours dual and 15 solo. That is the theory but as you still need to do your dual 10 hour checks, dual GF check, dual cross country, dual pre flight test, flight test, cross county test. 25 hours is not really practical and they say that is for the 'Naturals', old topples like me are in the mid thirty to forty hours, youngsters less. I put my costs around R40K for the 37 hours total it took me to qualify, approx R900/1000 per hour if you use the school trike R500-600 per hour if you have your own trike. Throw in exam fees, medical, radio license, lectures etc. I believe there are a few cheaper but not by much. Now here is the hard part - finding an instructor that can take you as often as you can fit flights in. All the instructors I had were part time and although I planned to fly twice a week, the combination of bad weather, lack of instructor availability stretched mine to just over nine months. I am sure it can be quicker with the right full time instructor but they are not easy to find or are in places not close to you.
Rob Green
ZU-DMB Raptor
ZU-BWT Aquilla
ZU-TLV RV12
Vleisbom
Signed up at flight school

Re: Cost and duration

Postby Vleisbom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 am

FatFrank

Phone the guys at Microland (Skyriders) Fanie Deysel or Mervin Reynolds, the will accommodate you as good they can, I have done my license in 4 months trying to fly each second Saturday and Sunday from first to last light.

Nice bunch of guys they will go out of their way to accommodate you....

Regards

Tinus

(**)