WHY ARE SO FEW WOMEN FLYING RECREATIONALLY

Matters of general interest
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re: WHY ARE SO FEW WOMEN FLYING RECREATIONALLY

Postby Wingover1 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:55 pm

My mom got her ppl in 1946 being 20 at the time, at Ventersdorp flying School on a Piper Cub and those days you had to do a spin as part of your training but today its mutch easier I suppose with safer rules ect. The point I am trying to make is that she did that before she married my dad. After they got married my dad and mom went back to Edinbourgh to do his fellowship as a orthopeadic surgeon. She stopped flying self then, but later years my dad got his ppl and own aircraft but she never flew herself (being pic) again. I think men are more likely to pursue a goal after 40 than woman. I got my wcm license when I was 42. A lot of male pilots only got their licenses at a later age when they could afford it. Everybody doesn't have rich parents (FRAPPIE) and the right connextions when they young :roll:
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Wed May 20, 2015 10:02 am

Wingover i reckon you hit the nail on the head.... in my case i purchased my first trike on a student nurse salary- saved and sold everything - i guess it s about a deep seated passion.
http://www.valleyflightsmicrolighting.com
Jabiru Instructor ( Grade B)
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 am

I am not the biggest of girls (ok. Gogos) weighing in at about 55kg. I went solo on a Windlass trike and did quite a few hours before losing my medical. Unfortunately I never got to complete my licence. At the tender age of nearly 50 (then) I did take a little longer but eventually my instructor used to joke that he could get out and walk next to the trike when the wheels touched the ground. Miss the flying, but don't miss the freezing Highveld winter mornings! vhpy No problem handling the bar, even though I had to lean right forward at times.
Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
Wingover1
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Wingover1 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 am

I must say that buzzing around last week in the Koedoeskop area building up hours I heard quite a few female pilot voices over the radio one was a woman flying a Cherokee from Uppington to Wonderboom reporting over Vaalkop dam and I couln't help saying to her "Dis lekker om n pop uit die Khalahari te hoor wat vlieg" ##
ZU - ATE Windlass 503
ZU - CHG Aquilla 582
ZU - BAJ Bushbaby
Citrus
Heard about flying

Postby Citrus » Thu May 28, 2015 12:35 am

Hi everyone and hi Sue!

I've been flying for 8 years now. Did my license at Aeroden when there still was a flying school. Now my trike - BLZ (Aerotrike Safari) is hangared on my dad's (Dries, and Sue you taught him to fly weight shift) farm among the Citrus trees just across the road from Aeroden. We actually have a windsock there as well.

Call me a closet pilot if you may :lol: but when I'm not preoccupied with other actvities, flying is great fun and I love the adrenaline rush!

Hmm, I prefer flying in calmer weather conditions, but have had some challenging encounters with crosswinds - especially landing on our strip. But it's all part of the sport.

And you are 100% correct Sue, fighting turbulance is fighting the trike, although I wouldn't take chances.

I might see you all at Kroon fly-in next Saturday.

:wink:
Farm girl
Suesing
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Suesing » Fri May 29, 2015 9:56 am

Citrus that would be cool then we can gang up against the booitjies .....
http://www.valleyflightsmicrolighting.com
Jabiru Instructor ( Grade B)