Wanting to convert to MPL

Matters of general interest
aquilla student
Looking at the sky

Wanting to convert to MPL

Postby aquilla student » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi all

I have a total of 20hrs or so on a Cessna 150. In Richards Bay, as you must be all aware the price of fixed wing trainign has just sky rocketed lately!

I would like to change to a MPL and complete my PPL at a later stage. As I a,m only 18, and doing matric, fixed wing flying has almost become impossible.

Does anybody know how many hours of my PPL count for a MPL?

Any other info would be great !!

Regards

Chris
You'll get over it!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:06 pm

My understanding is all of it will count towards a 3-axis MPL. You exams count, as does your radio and medical. You will need a minimum of 25hours in total and do a conversion on to a 3-axis microlight before you can do your flight test.

Talk to Lamercyfly or Fairy Flycatcher on this forum who are near to you and run a training school.

Here is their website which has their contact details. http://www.comefly.co.za

Welcome to the forum and Good luck
Greg Perkins
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby GR8-DAD » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:19 pm

CP,

a. All your PPL hours will count for MPL, BUT,

You still require minimum total SOLO hours of 15 hours between the 2 aeries, meaning that if you only have 5 hrs SOLO to your credit on PPL then you still require another 10 hrs SOLO on the microlight. If you have 0 hours SOLO on PPL, then you are in for at least the 15 HRS SOLO and convex to 3-axis microlight and therefore still fly 35 hrs to license :shock: might as well finish your PPL then.

b. If considering trikes most of it should count as long as you test proficient on the trike and probably do all SOLO hours on it.

I understand that the finances could be a problem, but you are so close now that by the time you have done your MPL and convex you probably could have had your PPL - perservere if you can, my 2c.

What do you currently pay for the C-150? I'd guess R600/hr + instructor R150 = R750/hr. MPL 3-axis will probably be R550-R600 total?

Voorspoed.
Nooitgedacht: 124.8 Alt 1050 ft
S 32°16'49.8 E 18°53'33.0
aquilla student
Looking at the sky

Postby aquilla student » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:16 am

Hi there

thanks so much for your advice

I am paying R750per hour on the C150 and only R490 on a trike. I am not wanting to fly the 3-axis crafts just yet, i want to fly the weight shift microlights. I have now reached a stage in my PPL that requires me to fly at least once a week, and unfortunately I just dont have the finances to fly that often at about R750 per hour.

I vowed that i would never EVER be seen dead in a Microlight and thought that they were just glorified lawn mowe engines with some material above you... that was untill i was dared to go in one...Andre's one from Eshowe!!! What an experience !! And since then I have never looked back and the urge to fly one has been enormous!

Thanks for all your great advice...much apreciated!

Regards

Chris

What is the best choice?

Regards

Chris
Last edited by aquilla student on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
You'll get over it!
eyetie
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby eyetie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:28 am

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum. Its all about personal Choice. They both have their benefits. One thing i can say about microlighting is that its a lot of fun, as it is more affordable you will fly more , it is also easier to own your own aircraft due to the price difference. And you will find the guys at the airfield friendly and very helpful. You are are also far more flexible with a microlight , should you want to go to different part of the country on holiday you can trailer you trike and off you go. Just my 1 cents , use it don't use it ......
Have to fly
Miskiet
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Miskiet » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:41 am

I have been flying trikes for more than 3 years now. In my opnion they are the best bang for your buck. I also recently did my 3-axis conversion. Although I've got a new skill it somehow doesn't compare to flying a trike..... I might be biased cause I'm a lot more comfortable flying my trike (time will tell?)

I reckon one needs to decide what you want to do after your licence? In my case I can't see myself buying, owning and operating a PPL aircraft (I am not going to spend R750/hr whenever I feel like flying either). Microlight aircraft are within my reach. I therefore can buy my own plane and fly when i want (and more often!). Average pilot does about 50-65hrs a year. Compute the cost of hire&fly and you'll see what I mean....

If you want to fly for a living that is another story. You can also find a flight school nearby with a PPL Jab or Cheetah and complete your PPL at very close to trike training prices. You have made a substantial investment in 3-axis so I'd stick with it if I were you. Learning to fly a trike properly is going to take you about 20-30hrs in any event.
aquilla student
Looking at the sky

Postby aquilla student » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi all!!

So here's my final decision:

I am gonna go the trike route, starting on Saturday when i will go for an intro flight in Durban and make a decision as to which school to go with.

Thanks so much for all the valuble infomation from all, much appreciated!!!

Regards

Chris
You'll get over it!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 pm

Good luck and have fun
Greg Perkins
aquilla student
Looking at the sky

Postby aquilla student » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:13 pm

Hi all!

Well...I have now made my choice!! I am now a MPL student!!!
Such great fun ! Weather was great today!

The bug has really really bitten hard this time!

Fab week all!
You'll get over it!
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:02 pm

It was nice flying with you cessna student :) Guess you'l have to change your name to "trike student" now?

I was quite surprised how well things came together for a first lesson. 8) Although it was quite funny to see how difficult the taxi was in the beginning :D It reminded me of when I started doing my 3-axis convex. Thank goodness the runway was nice and wide :oops:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Chris, welcome to the wprld of trike-ing. You said earlier that you went for a flip with Andre from Eshowe?? Mmmm, which plane. What color was it. Reason i ask, is I bought my trike from Andre, BWX. He flies from Ballito as well - and I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that you have converted.

see you for coffee one day at LM.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
aquilla student
Looking at the sky

Postby aquilla student » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:10 pm

Um it was yellow, if my memory servis me correctly ot was the one you bought!

What a wonderful world!
You'll get over it!
aquilla student
Looking at the sky

Postby aquilla student » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

hey now thats a good idea Fairy !

Will find out how to do that asap!

Thanks once again for the weekend!! Selling everything that is not bolted to the floor!

Regards

Chris
You'll get over it!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:18 pm

cessna student wrote:hey now thats a good idea Fairy !

Will find out how to do that asap!
pm me you new name and I'll change it, for a small fee of course :wink: :lol:
Greg Perkins