Freedom Flight Book

Matters of general interest
Ricky
Slow starter

Freedom Flight Book

Postby Ricky » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Hi

A short note to let you know that the Freedom Flight book about the microlight expedition around the world is now available in book stores in South Africa and on the internet via www.kalahari.net.

If you would like a signed copy please drop me an email with your details, mailing address and we can make arrangements for payment and postage.
freedomflightbook@yahoo.com

Bookstore retail price R170

Signed copy including postage within South Africa R200.

If you could pass this message on it will be appreciated
Thank you for your support.

Ricky
www.safreedomflight.com

Media Book Review:
“Overall a gripping adventure story that holds the readers attention to the last page”

Synopsis of the Expedition

On the 16th December 2003, after three years of preparation, selling their homes and possessions to fund the expedition, Alan Honeyborne and Ricky De Agrela, took off, completely unsupported, from Cape Town, South Africa, flying two small (hang glider type) microlights that took the expedition over five continents around the world.

The exciting adventure flew up the remote wilderness areas of Africa, across Asia to Nepal. Then turning South across jungles, islands and several sea crossings to Australia where they met up with family and friends before setting course back North passing through Cambodia, Vietnam and on to China where sadly Alan had a fatal accident. This threw the expedition into disarray, leaving Ricky with the difficult choice of either ending the expedition or to continue flying trying to re-establish the spirit of encouragement they had developed through Asia.
With inspiration from all corners of the world he arranged to continue flying and met up with a fellow South African pilot, Martin Walker, in San Francisco, USA. They continued across the continent and then South through Mexico to Belize. Tragedy struck again with Martin sustaining a fatal accident.
The expedition was placed in turmoil and once again a difficult choice had to be made. Circumstances of Martin’s accident instilled determination to continue the expedition. Flying alone back to the USA, Ricky then continued from England, Europe, the Mediterranean and South through the Sahara desert and wilderness of Africa. Returning to Cape Town on the 20th November 2004, having flown across 5 continents, 31 countries and 64 000km, the longest microlight expedition in the world.

The Freedom Flight Book
The book explains the progress across the world, clarifies the details of the incidents and the determination that drove the expedition.
Alan’s humourous writing and the many photographs, vividly describes scenarios and experiences as they unfolded. Ricky adds in the internal dynamics of the adventure and the purpose for continuing the flight to the final destination.
eyetie
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby eyetie » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:47 am

Sounds like a good book to read. Will be contacting you. :wink:
Have to fly
Beanie_PE
Heard about flying

Postby Beanie_PE » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:52 pm

Just my 2c...
I'm about halfway through the book and am taking my time enjoying it.
I think the layout & quality is excellent! Proudly South African!
Well done!
PPL student - 5.2 hours dual
kill_devil
Pre flight checks done

Postby kill_devil » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Its already in the UK bookshops. I wandered into Waterstone's in Oxford last Saturday and stumbled across it in the Aviation section. Once I got home I couldn't put it down. Ricky sheds a lot of light on what they went through - physically, emotionally, psychologically as well as technically. Everything rings true and you feel you are with him all the way.

Without doubt every microlight pilot should have a copy on his bookshelf.
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground"
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:45 pm

I read the book this weekend. I think the book will be a best seller amongst the general public and microlighters alike. Very good reading, inspirational yet frightening.

Seeing the adventure through Alan's web log posts, and reading Ricky's subsequent comments until disaster struck in China, the adventure optimism and great personalities makes for riveting reading. Alan's humour and wit talks to us all not only about flying, but also about living. Ricky then takes over the narrative, and the American and subsequent African trip becomes more matter of fact, and left me sleepless.

Reading between the lines one can guess what went wrong when it did. And this is where I feel the book falls short. As a result the "lay" public is bound to think of microlighting as a dangerous sport. As a microlighter I need an experienced pilot to tell me in no uncertain terms what went wrong, why it happened, what to do in the same circumstances - something missing from the book, perhaps because the author did not feel it appropriate for a book destined for the general public.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:48 am

I got a personally authographed book last week from Ricky. It is an inspirational read, exhilirating, frightening, amazing.

It's a worthy buy
Greg Perkins
eyetie

Postby eyetie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:44 am

Yeah i agree with Morph , i recieved my copy from Ricky about 2 weeks ago , wow what a excellent book, i recommend this book to all aviators and general public. Once you start reading it you can't put it down. These guys definately had major balls to carry out such a trip.
Have to fly