Trikes along the Big Bay Beach (Cape Town)

Matters of general interest
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Trikes along the Big Bay Beach (Cape Town)

Postby Turbo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 pm

nicow - so is rape -- IN SOUTH AFRICA!!

Bundy - let me elaborate with a few questions (even though you have answered them in your last post)

After reading the original complaint - it can be confirmed that the LOW flying ML pilot was just above ground, lets assume 50ft above ground

Question 1) -- So is it LEGAL to fly 50ft above ground ANYWHERE?? (not during TO and landing or emergencies?)
Question 2) -- Is a beach not considered an open air assembly of persons (populated beach where the public congregate to tan, chat, SMOKE, and walk dogs etc) ?
Question 3) -- Is the actions described by the complainant (geesh i should have been a lawyer) not considered reckless considering that no permission was officially applied for and that there were public present when the act was carried out?

I can go on all day --facts are facts - the moron flying that ML - is a D%%ˆS -- plain and simple, irresponsible and negligent. AND ILLEGAL!
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 am

Turbo, on the previous page you state this....and it is this that I disagree with.
Turbo wrote:Built up or not - its illegal to fly 50ft off the ground ANYWHERE unless you landing....
We can debate the "responsibility" or "is it safe" question all day without result....but the point I'm making is that the Law DOES provide for legal low flying provided the factors outlayed in the legislation are met. I very seldom venture low....but that is my choice. I respect the right for others to do so responsibly if they so choose. To state that ALL flying at 50 ft off the ground is ILLEGAL...is factually incorrect is all I'm saying. :wink:

The case in point is irrelevant to this point. (eye witnesses are notoriously "exaggerative" too)
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Eish,

1000ft agl over buildings unless in the circuit, above congregation of people (my interpretation includes an establish recognised populated beach, not open unnocupied water reaching land) and not to cause a nuisance to incl animals e.t.c. Does not imply one dog on a beach.

No miminum height straight and level restrictions. Common sense applies.

Personally I can see jack skimming over the ground so prefer more space under my arse to enjoy the flight, but thats just me.

Chill a little and don't be so defensive. Its not all black and white and no one here buzzed and mowed down any dogs, just innocent comments. :)
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:04 pm

The same conversation as a year or two ago. Legal or not, why piss off the local community when there are other areas where you can do low flying. Silverstroomstrand is mostly abandoned, and the beach north of Yzerfontein is always clear. If you do want to fly at Blouberg, do it during the week (if you are so lucky to have time off). Weekends those beaches are packed with strollers, dogs etc. with limited space for a forced landing without endangering others. It is not about being right or wrong, but about avoiding the over-regulating authorities' attention.
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:18 pm

gertcoetzee wrote:The same conversation as a year or two ago. Legal or not, why piss off the local community when there are other areas where you can do low flying. Silverstroomstrand is mostly abandoned, and the beach north of Yzerfontein is always clear. If you do want to fly at Blouberg, do it during the week (if you are so lucky to have time off). Weekends those beaches are packed with strollers, dogs etc. with limited space for a forced landing without endangering others. It is not about being right or wrong, but about avoiding the over-regulating authorities' attention.
Where you been so long??? Nice to see you back. (^^) (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Turbo wrote:Built up or not - its illegal to fly 50ft off the ground ANYWHERE unless you landing....
gertcoetzee wrote:The same conversation as a year or two ago. Legal or not, why piss off the local community when there are other areas where you can do low flying. Silverstroomstrand is mostly abandoned, and the beach north of Yzerfontein is always clear. If you do want to fly at Blouberg, do it during the week (if you are so lucky to have time off). Weekends those beaches are packed with strollers, dogs etc. with limited space for a forced landing without endangering others. It is not about being right or wrong, but about avoiding the over-regulating authorities' attention.
Chaps let's get this sorted out.... it is in fact quite legal to fly 50ft off the ground provided that and as already posted ... and one can disect it as much as you want to... the clause need to be read in conjunction.
91.06.32 (1) Except when necessary for taking off, or landing, or except with prior written approval of the Director, no aircraft –
(a) shall be flown over congested areas or over an open-air assembly of persons at a height less than 1 000 feet above the highest obstacle, within a radius of 2 000 feet from the aircraft;
(b) when flown elsewhere than specified in paragraph
[a], shall be flown at a height less than 500 feet above the ground or water,
unless the flight can be made without hazard or nuisance to persons or property on the ground or water and the pilot in command operates at a height and in a manner that allows safe operation
in the event of an engine failure; and
Gert knows exactly what it is all about down in the Cape as it was thrashed through with a Flamingo case that Morph and I handled on behalf of MISASA. One of those pilots that flaunted the regs at the time is now deceased - Trygve Skorge. One can ask Gyronaught to give his oppinion about flying low, where one can fly low and after what one has , can one fly low. Len surely has a way with words on this matter.

I wish to say the following, modding on this forum has been rather a minor occurence ! You chaps are all my friends and I need to say this - we cannot condone personal attacks on each other. The other forum has taken a strong stance on this and one can just see the mod comments. Keep it civil please ... I am going to clean out the comments and let's try again please! :)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Hey John,

Agreed - but speak to your mods -- they like to act as judge jury and executioner!
Last edited by Turbo on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

MOFFIES ... :wink:
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Turbo wrote:I can go on all day --facts are facts - the moron flying that ML - is a D%%ˆS -- plain and simple, irresponsible and negligent. AND ILLEGAL!
Turbo wrote: but speak to your mods -- they like to act as judge jury and executioner!
Mmmm. Interesting contradiction

BTW where does this 50ft thing come from, where is that written?

It all comes down to one word. UNLESS
Greg Perkins
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:50 am

Nice to see you again Morph :)

I would not waste the effort on this one. Unfortunately you get some people who can never lose an argument and always always always have to have the last say (**) (**)
This is one of those cases.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:33 am

Once again we head towards a moot, non productive thread and the spirit of the forum is placed in question by one common denominator. Yet when argued against, he cries foul.
@ turbo, - you preach camaraderie, yet treat your fellow pilot no respect and disdain. You lack the ability to accept another point of view or discussion which contradicts yours. Then when someone questions your opinion you cry foul and get personal? No moderator has unfairly acted as "judge, jury and executioner" The reason for your previous ban was brutally clear and well deserved.

"Hey John,

Agreed - but speak to your mods -- they like to act as judge jury and executioner!"

Ps I'm not one of "johns Mods"

Heres a suggestion. If you don't like the forum and feel that the minions here are not as smart or as uber pilot as you, do us a favour and stop trying to save us. Rather just take your overwhelming knowledge of all that is aviation and keep it to yourself. We all did pretty well for a long time without you, and will continue to do so into the future.
RV9
DISH
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 am

WTF :shock:

What happens to the microlighting comaraderie and spirit ?

It's time we all stick together again and just go FLY ##
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 am

Tribal Croc wrote:WTF :shock:

What happens to the microlighting comaraderie and spirit ?

It's time we all stick together again and just go FLY ##
(^^) (^^) (^^) xxx
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am

Have you completed the course in Cameraderie and spirit??? -

Welcome back you invalid.
RV9
DISH
CHARLIE WHISKEY
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby CHARLIE WHISKEY » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Genade ouens....

The first post asked only for Our guys (microlighters) not to skrik his arme honde op die strand.

Now it's a roar about 50 ft and commaradery .... How can anybody be so fast to measure you with n maatband when you fly over hir choppies op die braai??????????

WTF ?
SE NET JA ONS SAL NIE WEER JOU CHIWAWAS SKRIK NIE OOM.

Dish .. s068
Fueled by Faith.
ZS-VMP
ZU-BBR
ZU-CMS
ZS-WFT
ZU-FGR
ZU-CTS