Trikes along the Big Bay Beach (Cape Town)

Matters of general interest
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Trikes along the Big Bay Beach (Cape Town)

Postby Bundy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:50 am

Again....don't shoot the messenger. :wink:

From Avcom: http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 1&t=138794
Gentlemen

Those of you who fly along the beach just north of Big Bay almost on the sand please bear in mind some of us mortals are walking our dogs.

On Saturday a 4 ship formo came down the beach from Melkbos, 2 trikes with their rears just off the sand and
2 other types off the shore and not part of my gripe.

I stood to marvel the sight when I noticed my 6 yr old collie take one look at the approaching trikes and bolted off down the beach into a distant black spot.

Only after an extensive and stressful 3 hour search was she found.

Please bear us in mind.
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Trikes along the Big Bay Beach (Cape Town)

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:21 pm

kookaraaasie!!

nou wat nou -- wee gaan the eerste woord se?
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:38 am

Dit sal hom leer om nie met sy honde te loop sonder 'n halsband en ketting nie ## ## ## -weet hy nie dat 'n trike se prop 'n hond kan opchop nie... (**) ?
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Alkemac
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Alkemac » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am

nevermind the hidden "kleefmyne.." :shock:
ZU-DODO
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Much prefer an aerrie buzzing overhead a beach than panting dripping sniffing shitting dogs muzzling me.

Dogs are'nt allowed on any beach unleashed and if its not an established beach then minimum altitude unless so many persons or causing a nuicance.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Tumbleweed, Cape Towns beaches do allow dogs without leaches.

Secondly - ill introduce you to my dogs any day, IF you survive 10 seconds, then id like to hear what you think of their sniffing or panting ... more like ambulance sirens and mortuary vans..... ## ## :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And besides flying that low over a built up area albeit over the beach, is illegal i don't care what you fly. Microlight pilot, Fixed wing, paraglider or whatever - you did an exam on air law and flying restrictions - abide by them! SAFETY FIRST - JUST WENT OUT THE WINDOW DIDNT IT!?
Attachments
IMG-20140711-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20140711-WA0030.jpg
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:25 am

The area north of Big Bay is not built up. Or at least last I checked...
But It does fall in the Blaauberg Nature Reserve area, while that has always been a grey area as it is not on the aviation maps.
But being a Nature reserve his dogs should be on a leash. I personally believe that dogs do more wildlife damage on a beach than 4x4s do.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:58 am

Built up or not - its illegal to fly 50ft off the ground ANYWHERE unless you landing - ESPECIALLY over a nature reserve.

Yeah sure, 10 x dogs walking on the beach at the same time as 10 x 4x4 vehicles or quads will destroy more plant, bird and sea life in, and under the sand than a 4x4 .. NOT!!! ## ## ## ##
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:23 am

Common sense and tolerance is all.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 am

Turbo wrote:Built up or not - its illegal to fly 50ft off the ground ANYWHERE unless you landing - ESPECIALLY over a nature reserve.

Yeah sure, 10 x dogs walking on the beach at the same time as 10 x 4x4 vehicles or quads will destroy more plant, bird and sea life in, and under the sand than a 4x4 .. NOT!!! ## ## ## ##
4x4s don't go looking for nesting birds... and then chase them. Or atleast most 4x4s don't. But off topic slightly.

The correct thing is to be over 1500ft (+700ft for the highest point) or over the surf zone.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am

Tumbleweed wrote:Common sense and tolerance is all.
I agree Leon. (^^)

As I said on Avcom...
So many complaints can be avoided if we just stick to a minimum height of 500ft....doggie's happy, beachgoer's happy, pilots flying so surely at 500ft he must be happy too? :D

It's really not that difficult. Those that want to venture low will always be putting themselves in a situation where they may be infringing on other's rights...if a complaint ensues the only person to blame is yourself. Putting your aircraft 5....10....50...or 100ft above the ground or beach is a conscious decision, and the consequences thereof should be a primary part of that same decision.
Low flying will always be a part of the GA world. We all do it occasionally for whatever reason, but to do it safely and without nuisance to others you need to plan when, where, and why... Set up your own "minima" and rules around this subject and stick to it...it's not impossible.

If in doubt....stay at a height where you know the law is on your side. :)
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:00 am

Biggles wrote:
Turbo wrote:Built up or not - its illegal to fly 50ft off the ground ANYWHERE unless you landing - ESPECIALLY over a nature reserve.

4x4s don't go looking for nesting birds... and then chase them. Or atleast most 4x4s don't. But off topic slightly.

The correct thing is to be over 1500ft (+700ft for the highest point) or over the surf zone.
4x4's also don't have special alien, FBI detection systems that detect where birds have laid their eggs in/under the sand, and avoid them ... also off topic slightly.

I agree with obeying the law regards low flying .... obviously we all love it, but it is illegal!
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:12 am

Turbo wrote:
Biggles wrote:

4x4's also don't have special alien, FBI detection systems that detect where birds have laid their eggs in/under the sand, and avoid them ... also off topic slightly.

I agree with obeying the law regards low flying .... obviously we all love it, but it is illegal!
...and so is smoking in public...
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Turbo wrote:
Since when is it illegal?

Only under certain circumstances is it illegal as far as I know.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Thatchman wrote: Since when is it illegal?

Only under certain circumstances is it illegal as far as I know.
I don't agree with Turbo's interpretation.... perhaps if he could elaborate further on his opinion?

Reilly, I believe you are correct.

91.06.32 (1) Except when necessary for taking off, or landing, or except with prior written
approval of the Director, no aircraft –
(a) shall be flown over congested areas or over an open-air assembly of persons at a
height less than 1 000 feet above the highest obstacle, within a radius of 2 000 feet from
the aircraft;
(b) when flown elsewhere than specified in paragraph (a), shall be flown at a height less
than 500 feet above the ground or water, unless the flight can be made without hazard
or nuisance to persons or property on the ground or water and the pilot in command
operates at a height and in a manner that allows safe operation in the event of an
engine failure; and

Bottom line is....if you are flying (excluding TO and landing phase and assuming you are outside controlled airspace) below 500ft anywhere ....and you do not have a suitable and reachable landing option at your current height in flight....then you are illegally flying.
##
Again....it comes down to when where and why you choose to do this. It is not illegal if done responsibly and with due attention to situational awareness.

That is the Law as I understand it. :wink: