Microlighters clueless on the radio

Matters of general interest
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Microlighters clueless on the radio

Postby Nkwazi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:45 am

From Avcom again. "NEVER say "traffic on 124.8". Provides zero info, could imply you're anywhere from Worcester to Morningstar in the Western Cape, and is particularly irritating on a Saturday morning in the Cape Town special rules with all the microlighters who are generally clueless when it comes to radiowork. The correct patter is "Traffic in the Bottelary area", or "Morningstar Traffic", even though it's all 124.8.

PS: to microlighters taking offense to that statement - suck it up princess. If you're from say Pofadder, and want to drive a car in the big city, you don't stop in the middle of Settlers Way, and get out to talk sh*t with Oom Frikkie who happens to travel in the opposite direction." ## ## ## :twisted: :evil:

Should we teach this oke a thing or two. Feel free to have a go princesses!! vhpy vhpy

Here's the link. http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 4&start=15
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Microlighters clueless on the radio

Postby D2O » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:35 am

Not worth the effort :wink:

Now let's go fly princesses! :lol:
Plane-less
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 am

Good response on there Nkwazi, and Dish great one too...

In and around Eagle creek we get some seriously interesting calls... I was flying back from aeroden, and had a helicopter call "1 mile west abeam copperleaf golf course" at 5500ft... I immediately dropped to 5000ft because I couldn't see the guy anywhere and that was exactly where I was and was about to call... after much looking I finally spotted him east abeam the golf course, so essentially 3 miles to the east of his reported possition... a call asking him to restate his position while still looking for him was met with silence, and once I saw him and corrected him on where he was there was still no response...

Ended up chatting to the cfi at the school he was flying from (I knew the reg as I did my ppl h there) and discovered that there was an instructor in the chopper with the student, and he did nothing to correct his student...

So anyone regardless of their training or experience can make a mistake... Manning up and making a correction is critical if there is traffic around.
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:44 am

Biting my lip !!! I thought no let me chirp....... Even just for a lag. :lol: :lol:
Although entirely correct, it's not Heathrow airspace. :shock:
Some okes, you want to give 'a dop' (^^) (^^) --- and others, 'a klap' (**)

Kry vir jou !! ($$)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Well....both near misses I've had were due to these so called "uber pilots" in their $$$$ aeroplanes who have no clue what the radio is actually for?

I'd rather listen to someone bungle up a "position report" and avoid him......than try take evasive action from the oke who chose to say #$%@ all! (**)

That said... if we are all a bunch of "princesses"....then some of you are the ugliest ones I've ever seen... (**) xxx

Suck it up! :twisted:
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks Nkwazi for taking it up on Avcom with a well put answer.

I find microlight comms in general way better than other GA, and I must commend you pilots out there for striving for such good comms.

Never be afraid to communicate. Practice makes perfect. And remember ATC love us. vhpy
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 am

HHHMM interesting! ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,,,
Last edited by Turbo on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dobbs
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 am

Hi Nkwazi, I do not agree with your post, firstly you seem to want to increase the apparent divide between Avcom and Microlighters, for what benefit?

Secondly, I was the person who said that starting off your radio call with the frequency was of no value. If we are going to take our flying seriously, why not do it in its entirety, including our radio procedures. And I refer you to the book often used as a reference when doing your radio licence - "The Pilots Radio Handbook", 8.11.3 where a fictitious VFR flight is used to demonstrate correct procedures, and no where is the frequency mentioned.

I also refer you to 8.1 - what to do before you transmit.

I apologize if I sound pedantic, but as an instructor, I do whatever I can to ensure that if there is a documented and accepted right way, then just do vhpy
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Dobbs wrote:Hi Nkwazi, I do not agree with your post, firstly you seem to want to increase the apparent divide between Avcom and Microlighters, for what benefit?

Secondly, I was the person who said that starting off your radio call with the frequency was of no value. If we are going to take our flying seriously, why not do it in its entirety, including our radio procedures. And I refer you to the book often used as a reference when doing your radio licence - "The Pilots Radio Handbook", 8.11.3 where a fictitious VFR flight is used to demonstrate correct procedures, and no where is the frequency mentioned.

I also refer you to 8.1 - what to do before you transmit.

I apologize if I sound pedantic, but as an instructor, I do whatever I can to ensure that if there is a documented and accepted right way, then just do vhpy

In the safety of other pilots - from the ground (something i tried to portray previously) THIS IS COMRADERIE -- I agree and support you fully! What you say makes 100% sense!!
Much like myself, perhaps using the word princess could have been wrong, but really, princess honestly couldn't have hurt anyones feelings THAT MUCH ..... could it?

Dobbs -- pedantic is 100% fine, ESPECIALLY when your and other lives are in danger unless you bring the issue to everyones attention which you did - i commend that!! Just watch your mouth on this forum, as you might just be banned for airing your views!! ## ##

be warned!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Well if you are satisfied to share the same airspace and be referred to by uber alles blik as "princesses" (which Brett was merely repeating what the poster had written) I take exception to the comment made by the poster whether it be a microlighter or boeing pilot - especially because he has found it fit to elevate himself to sky king! If anyone has added fuel to open the scab, then it is that comment (which was retracted though but damage done!) I echo what Brett said about Kitty Hawk (ATC was impressed) and add the Swartkops Fly-In (military ATC) - the pilots were commended for the airmanship and their radio work!!

No bearing on this merely to indicate perception - I had an interesting brief conversation with a person in the week that after requesting certain information from him replied : Sorry I don't fly microlights or LSA's, I fly fixed-wings because I am a PPL'er... Wow! So, for my aviation friends - Cheetahs, Bush Babies, Slings, CTSW's, Jabs etc are NOT FIXED WINGS they rag & tube & plastic & alu that flap their wings to get intot the air.

As for technical correctness however, DOBBS, you are spot on :-) A position report is just that - a position report! Hearing a generalised report dominated by a frequency has no value besides clogging the airband which I may add, we do not have the luxury of at some places to discuss what one had for breakfast or what's your groundspeed... It is however in the interest of aviators to share information that may add to the safety of ones flight eg. CAT or observing an aircraft that may not be on the right frequency or advising fellow aviators of impending danger.

You do however advise traffic after the position report should you be switching to another frequency TIBA area to area etc.

This is me, irrelevant what my license type is, I think of what I am going to say prior pressing the PTT and also think of what to expect when and if I get a reply or response... and my airreps are brief, crisp and clear!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:07 am

Anyone who has'nt made an arse of themself on the radio is probably still going to or does'nt use the thing. Its recognising your mistakes and listening out to the experienced guys that sorts you out.

Having just fitted a panel mount radio to my trike, airborne 12h00 in summer,out of Spec Rules West, 200 feet above the pylons in serious bumps, routing Secunda, I pissed of all the sectors I flew through, from SRW, GRand Central, Waterkloof and SPE until someone shouted" Flip the fuc$%in switch to change the channels you doos" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phobias of microlighters and ppl's is just ignorance. Mix and fly with all the types and you'll realise that no one percieves themselves better than the rest.

No one should be able to identify your type by your radio work unless you add "Microlight ERG.......' to your call, which helps faster aerries plan their movements according to your anticipated speed.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 am

Tumbleweed wrote:
No one should be able to identify your type by your radio work unless you add "Microlight ERG.......' to your call, which helps faster aerries plan their movements according to your anticipated speed.

Well back to basics, this is exactly what you are SUPPOSED to do, as you explained, problem is everyone is honing in on the silly little "princess" thing instead of realising that there is good intention behind it. The princess thing was retracted, so who cares if he said princess or closet queen or whatever -- the POINT IN QUESTION is that its for everyones safety - how he put it is irrelevant - HE HAS A POINT!!!
Dobbs

Postby Dobbs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:51 am

Sanity at last - thanks Turbo. What bigger picture can there be than flying safely.

You want to find something to whine about, there is lots, me, I would rather focus on the positives in flying. xxx
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:06 am

Chaps, come now, Brett didn't criticize what Dobbs had posted, on the contrary... in actual fact he was being critical defending YOU!!
PS: to microlighters taking offense to that statement - suck it up princess. If you're from say Pofadder, and want to drive a car in the big city, you don't stop in the middle of Settlers Way, and get out to talk sh*t with Oom Frikkie who happens to travel in the opposite direction."
Microlighters in this instance targeted. So who is breaking down the good relationship we have worked on for quite a while?

As for the SAFETY aspect - 200% with you chaps and that is the last thing we would argue about.

I give you an example - in the matters arising from CAA Enforcement, one of the proposal we have for corrective behaviour is for persons being accused of wrong doing in controlled airspace, to go sit officially in the tower with ATC to get a better understanding. Don't know if this will ever happen though.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Station Kariba
First solo

Postby Station Kariba » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Fellow Aviators

For what it is worth, we have new regulations up here on Radio License for all LSA or Microlight Pilots. You now have to obtain a PPL radio license, where the exam is conducted by CAAZ. If the Pilot does not hold this Radio License you cannot fly in controlled air space. There is an internal Radio course run at our club, if you have passed this exam you can fly in Class G airspace (Uncontrolled airspace) only. If you do not hold either you are restricted to the circuit ONLY. The relevant radio license is then endorsed in your License. This was done in the interest of SAFETY, most importantly.
Graham Galloway
Z-RUM
Z-TOC
Z-HAY