MISASA WWW Showcase 2015

Matters of general interest
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

MISASA WWW Showcase 2015

Postby alanmack » Sun May 25, 2014 4:22 pm

WWW SHOWCASE 2015.png
The Marketing has kicked off - next year we are expanding the range of displays to include wheels and water!

Is it a jetski? Is it a light aircraft? Is it a motor bike? Is it a bicycle? Mmm..... it's all of them - please send exhibitor recommendations to

nemo@webo.co.za

or if you're not shy share your thoughts of what you would like to see here.

Suggestions to improve the day are always welcome

To see the event details please follow this link:
http://www.egauteng.info/business_descr ... 0&bcati=22

On the above page is a link from the header slideshow to the MISASA directory of exhibitors alternatively follow this link:
http://www.egauteng.info/mall-busbusiness.php?cat=22

If you are an exhibitor please send us an edit of the listing ( if needed) plus details of the deals that you are to offer. All special deals will be listed online so that pilots will be able to contact an exhibitor even if they do not attend the event at Kitty Hawk. If you want to exhibit please contact us.

thanks
Nemo
Last edited by alanmack on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: WWW Showcase 2015

Postby Turbo » Thu May 29, 2014 7:31 am

What email address or contact details does one use if they want to exhibit at the event?
AWACS
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby AWACS » Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Are you still promoting aviation?
Raptor 582
ZU-Sling 2
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Sat May 31, 2014 10:29 pm

flynano-06-16-12-02.jpg
www-showcase.jpg
The event is open to Wings, Wheels and Water > So Bicycles, Jet skis, Jet ski's that fly, 3 Axis LSA planes. CCM Planes, Electric Trikes, Solar 3-Axis, WSM, Motor Bikes, Skate Boards, Motor Boats, Sea Planes, Off road trailers - Caravans that Fly! etc - anything that blows your hair back is welcome. To request a stand e-mail me.
Last edited by alanmack on Sat May 31, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NEMO
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat May 31, 2014 10:33 pm

AWACS... don't quite understand your question? Is this a problem for you? If so, why?

We have tried to cross-pollinate the sub-sections of Aeroclub and largely we were successful. So, how do YOU attract people that enjoy other activities (mainly fun & recreational) to experience and feel the vibe of your fun activity? How do you get the average Joe Soap there - you make it more enticing!

I'm an AVIATOR
I'm a MOTOR CYCLIST
I'm a WATER SPORTS fanatic

So, WATER.... now the SEAGLE and the BUSHCAT AMPHIBIAN can take it's "rightful place" next to the craft it will share a water mass with...
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I think that if these other sports attract more people to our sport then I don't have a problem with having the bikes and boats there. By virtue of the fact that the event is held at an airfield then one would expect that the overwhelming theme would be promoting our sport. Perhaps even the outdoor 4X4 boys as well.
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:48 pm

That is an interesting perspective AWACs. Just thinking aloud now the fact that the 'recreational buck' is under sever pressure, does it make sense to invite your competitors that all want part of that buck?

Probably as with anything - pros and cons. Those with plenty of recreational spend may well be enticed to a bigger better show where he can see all his potential toys together. The guy that was keen just on aviation and has less recreational bucks to spend, may well be enticed to one of your competition.

Swings and roundabouts perhaps?
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:03 pm

While I mostly agree with the idea of getting other recreational sports involved in an attempt to promote our own, I do grow concerned at the very idea of the MISASA event being watered-down into something like the "Outdoor Expo".

I do not believe that an average person with a bit of money to burn on a hobby would choose aviation over a quad bike or a ski-boat (I'm not talking about those that are already pilots).
Why are we all in aviation? I'll be willing to bet our answers will all be the similar: Because we always wanted to be since we were kids. We always wanted to fly.
This is the type of person we should be attracting, not some bored rich guy who already has the jet ski and quad bike, and now needs a new toy which he will neither love nor respect. The last thing we need is yet another perfectly flyable plane sitting in a hangar gathering dust.

I have been observing the way general aviation promotes itself and frankly, I'm not surprised at why there is a dramatic fall in interest (apart from the economy).
You are marketing wrong. You need to attract the dreamers...the ones that always wanted to fly but thought it was impossible because they went to the SAA and heard what the requirements are for becoming an airline pilot, or how much a PPL license and a Cessna costs. Nobody ever showed these people the fantastic world of General Aviation. I spoke to an interested lady the other day who was completely unaware that you can fly without needing a PPL license, and that a license and an aircraft will not set you back the price of a new house.

I draw this from my own personal experiences, and as an observer of other people interested in flying. It's about the awareness and the atmosphere, not how attractive it may look next to a jet ski.

Maybe this type of thing should involve the Outdoor Expo, and I often wondered why MISASA and other bodies were never represented there, as it's what I was hoping to see whenever I went in the days before I started flying. I was hoping to see all these options like flying, aircraft building, paragliding, etc., but all I ever saw was 4X4, quad bike & jet ski stands.
Last edited by D2O on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plane-less
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Previous MISASA events were always aimed at MISASA members and their families and friends,and not the general public. So how does this then get Joe Soap to the event and interested in aviation? I do realise the reasoning behind it was to prevent the red tape, legal issues and costs surrounding making the event an "air show" in the regulator's eyes at the time, so I don't think that the solution lies in adding "extras" such as jet skis, cars, 4x4's, quad bikes, boats and the likes.

The MISASA events have always been very successful, but it lacked the participation of the general public, and all that takes is a bit of marketing. It doesn't need all the "extras" to promote it.

I hope I'm not coming across wrong, and I do think that the idea has its place at the actual Outdoor Expo, but I think the MISASA event just needs to be made publicly available, and marketed as such, and you'll get your Joe Soap to attend and get inspired into starting flight training.
Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.
MISASA, you're doing a great job with the events. Please don't water it down for us dreamers and flyers (^^)
Plane-less
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 am

To those that have taken the time to chirp, thank you.

You may or may not know that the annual showcase was an event that I started. I started it in response to a debate at an Aero Club Board Meeting. I attempted to get an event off the ground that showcased more than microlights for more than microlight pilots. I believed that there was a need for a day where pilots could host family and friends and where the camaraderie of recreational aviation could be shared. It is a day made possible by many pilots for pilots. The event has grown in stature and reputation each year and it has now widely established the reputation for being a resounding success.

Why is it a success? In my opinion it is firstly because of the volunteers that work hard to make it the success that it is. It is not an Airshow - there are many of these. It is not open to the public - all are welcome but you must be hosted by a pilot (any type of pilot). Pilots have interests in many things. Half the committee (at least) also enjoy water sports. Half the Committee have trailers. I have a 3.5 ton customized trailer purpose built to take food for 40, 2x 44 gallon drums and a trike to the wild cost flyaway. Others have serious off road trailers that take trikes into Africa to fly about. How many pilots ride a bicycle? The event is a showcase. It showcases aircraft - Trikes, Model Planes, 3 Axis, Gyro's the lot. Most of the Gyro guys fly in from Cape Town to be there. Andrew Pappas flies in from Nelspruit, John Waterson from East London, Donald and a whole bunch of others fly in from Durban and so each year more arrive. I intend to invite an off road trailer company to display as I did last year. The trailer company got the stand for free in return for offering pilots R30,000 off the price of a very serious off road trailer. I negotiated dozens of specials for pilots - these ranged up to R275,000 off a new plane.

So there will be aircraft - the more the merrier. Then there will be a selected group of affiliated suppliers who offer awesome deals to pilots. As Examples >>> Wings > as many aircraft suppliers as show an interest. Wheels > Trailers, Bikes, Bicycles, $x$'s (sic), Water > Boats, Wind surfers, Skate boards.

Every member of the committee volunteers to assist. John Boucher worked for months on it as did Alan Hussey. Alex Rudd and the Air Scouts slept over and marshaled the event. Nigel Musgrave (Kitty Hawk), Paul Sabatier (EAA), Mary Stephens (CAA), ATNS and a whole host of people bust their butts and it is these people that have taken the idea each year to a higher level and it is they that have made it a success. I recall the guys from Empangeni who with our Chairman drove all the way to Tedderfield and then served, braai'ed/fried eggs wors etc for 15 hours.

There have been problems and each year we try to add to the formula - I suspect that in the "other" category we will have not more then a half a dozen stands. We had 4 of them at Kitty Hawk last year - all added a tad of spice to the showcase that very clearly was and will remain an aviation day. Ask anyone - was the day less enjoyable because there was a trailer guy there or because of the fly-in bush lodge or because of.....

Please do continue to chirp - it produces great ideas and hopefully it will also attract some volunteers who offer to action their thoughts. Each year there have been complaints - the first year it was about smoking and the MC. This last year the complaints have been about the DJ and the lack of showers. I thought that the DJ did a great job but some felt he made too much noise for them to focus on the aircraft - Eish, did you know that people prayed for rain drops! .... Maybe we should have got the DJ to play ... " rain drops keep falling on our heads" but look on the bright side - next year we'll build some showers and we will teach pilots to dance to the music! To those that chirped - thank you very much - we have heard your complaints about the showers and the music. One we will fix and the other we will solve by teaching you to enjoy chirp - as we do!

The following will be at the next event as will I : Donald Hicks (Chairman), Brett Hickman ( Treasurer), John Boucher ( Internal PRO), John Comely ( External PRO), Mervyn Reynolds (Competitions), Marius Nel (Events & Calendar), Thelma Roberts-Boucher (Administration), Deon Kraidy & Henri
vd Berg (Safety), Rowena Kraidy (Technical), Nico Willemse (Training & Licencing). Please do contact one of them and offer to assist. The success of the day depends on the volunteers - please become one.

The EAA's AirVenture day in the USA is the largest and most successful aircraft showcase in the world. They attribute their success to the thousands that volunteer to assist. They only display planes - there is no room for anything else. Aircraft will always come first at our showcase and if there is no space then the rest will be put in the back row! I look forward to the year when there is no space for anything else as do you, I'm sure!

Fly safe
Last edited by alanmack on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
NEMO
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for elaborating Alan. I can now see where it's going. It sounds like a good plan to me! (^^)
I'd like to do the music again, but also have some other ideas I'd like to run past you for next year's event.

Noel
Plane-less
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Mmm.... I did not know your avatar Noel but I stand by what I said - there were complaints about me being the MC the year before and complaints about there not being one the year before that. Anyway it is and will always be an aviation event. There will probably be 3 more non-flying stands than last year - the idea really came from a complaint where the comment was "my mates want to come but they are tired of me feeding them aeroplanes - can we have a few other things plus a jumping castle for the kids." It all evolves let's dance to the music and have fun - we certainly get far less noise about us doing too little for the members. With volunteers we will continue to be able to do more. i look forward to your comments - why not e-mail me a story for the mag. It will be finalised in about a week - then proofed - printed in July and posted early August.

Fly safe
NEMO
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:13 am

I think this is a brilliant initiative. No other event has the prospect of pulling new interest to smaller recreational flying. Our individual exposure to is normally what is at our airfield or what some family member inherited and flies.

The untapped market is definately old school ppl blik drivers who have the bucks and would consider cheaper alternatives if they were exposed to a brand and maybe arrange a demo flip.

The old school genereation ppl aircraft owners raised on the tradition of Cessna = John Deere and Piper = Toyota are realising that a Sling can (almost) stay with a Piper burning 50 lt per hour with half the fuel burn and more fun to fly and if any of them were to demo an RV of their similar engine output offering twice the thrill and performance they would inmediatly want to trade.

The reason why the Sling is so much more successful against similar brands is because they have martered the marketing. They have visited our airfield four times offering flips even given talks at night and the result is 5 Slings flying from Secunda who besides me these are all ppl guys.

I saw the RAF Gyro guys exibiting at Nampo and could hardly get a word in the farmers were so
curious about something they could patrol their farms with. I believe John Deere spent over 10 million on their stand and you could also not imagine the interest in the John Deere quad bikes alone - some around 250 K each.

The agents of the LSA and microlight brands need to throw some money at guys who know how to market and attract the clientele who doest not even know they exist.

This event could grow to exibit over a weekend inviting prospective varsity students- soon to be flush flying material and great supporters of live music and beer and the farming comunity who can certainly afford it. Fly in visitors over two days, maybe getting relief to demo on the second day.

Its is a great initiative by the Misasa vollenteers to promote flying but its the agents, suppliers, flying schools and destination resorts who benefit need to subsidise it.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
SHARKFIN
Thinking of flying

Postby SHARKFIN » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:49 pm

I think the WWW showcase is exactly what we need on a major scale in order to draw the crowds that would not normally attend an aviation event other than the Swartkops airshow.
Our microlighting industry requires serious marketing exposure in order to grow, regardless the economic situation.
On the other hand those of us who supply a service and or products in the microlighting/LSA industry need to become a lot more professional and customer service centric if we want to experience a growth and boom in this wonderful sport and recreational past time.
I have been a customer in the microlighting fraternity for a number of years on a number of occasions and had it not been for the love of flying I would have lost my patience with a number of service suppliers and would most likely have hung up the flying suite.
We have a wonderful opportunity with Alan's initiative to show what a wonderful past time flying could be and how great we all are.
Live it.
ZU-CDW Antares 618
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:26 pm

(^^)

Now that's the spirit chaps... now without harping on the past, we put Kitty Hawk together in a matter of 3 weeks after the "shelving" of Tedderfield... many other suppliers to the recreational industry was approached but had to decline due to the short time of notice and all indicated their eagerness to take part should we do it again and thus.... where we are now.

We are planning now for this event to make it even a greater success it has been so far... vhpy and for those that have been part of such a planning effort knows the unselfish effort required :-)

So, a little encouraging support just makes it worthwhile :-)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil: