Vodacom Archived Numbers - Beware

Matters of general interest
MILO
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Vodacom Archived Numbers - Beware

Postby MILO » Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 am

I purchased a tabet and data simcard for softness for her birthday. (10th May same day as the Swartkops airshow... sux)
After activation a whole lot of watsapps, sms's from Capitec bank and other stuff started coming through.
What I have discovered is:
If you buy a simcard (Vodacom number) and don't use it for a couple of months they block the card and archive the number.
They then sell the number to the next mug in line.
So what happens is any rubbish set up buy the previous owner to be delivered to that number continues to come through (**)
This could include on line banking data etc. etc.
Make sure you are not getting a second hand number.
Its a pain :evil: to sort out, and as far as I am concerned this should be illegal.
If you can fly today - leave everything else for tomorrow
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Vodacom Archived Numbers - Beware

Postby skybound® » Wed May 21, 2014 3:24 pm

With the amount of client churn and the explosion of connected devices requiring connectivity - it is probably inevitable that you will end up with a recycled number. Easiest way is to block those senders and callers via your contacts application - then you never hear from them again even if they do send you SMSes.
Kalahari
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Kalahari » Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Icasa issue nr ranges to cellular operators and they may only apply for new ranges if they can prove that they are about to ran out of numbers, they are forced to reuse old nrs. With Vcm alone having more than 40 million active nrs if I am not mistaken they and all other operators have no other option. Nothing illegal about that but I have a lot of understanding for your frustration, had the same issue with my daughter's nr on MTN.
Arrogance and rudeness are the training wheels on the bicycle of life for those who can not keep their balance without it!
wingover
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby wingover » Tue May 27, 2014 1:50 pm

I have the same story with MTN. It's a policeman's old no. I kept being phoned by people who's language I can't understand and being threatend by being blacklist for arrears in T.V. Licenses and all and every furniture house you can think of for being behind in payments. :evil: I know exactly how you feel!!