Rotax 582 Stellenbosch to Durban coastwise!

Matters of general interest
tka
Ready for the first flight

Rotax 582 Stellenbosch to Durban coastwise!

Postby tka » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Earlier this month I ferried my Kolb to Durban. This isn’t about the flight (which was awesome - 12 hours and 7 stops) but it is to thank those that made it possible. Mods, please forgive the punts but they are well deserved and one way for me to thank some of the people that provided assistance.

Mossel Bay – the weather grounded me on the first day so my Friend Roger Brink stepped in and organised a hangar, provided accom for the night and bought petrol for me. The weather hadn’t improved the following day and as I had work commitments I had to return later to continue the flight. Thanks Roger

Stanley Island (near Plett) – what a stunning place. Grass runway, softish patches and 4 zebra to welcome you on arrival. This is a good spot for breakfast and overnight fly-ins. The manager – Cyril – went out of his way to go and buy me petrol and he made me comfortable for the night. http://www.stanleyisland.com/ Thanks Cyril.

Uitenhage – I have had Progress airfield on my ‘must visit’ list for years but alas it wasn't going to happen due to no fuel and accom. But Roger (Avcom, Skybound) and Colin Dettmann from Uitenhage -http://www.epgliding.co.za - stepped up and arranged petrol for me. Very friendly, helpful people at the Uitenhage gliding club. I plan on returning someday. Many thanks guys.

Wavecrest – another stunning place on our wonderful coastline. Very nice grass runway and ultralights etc can taxy down the track to the hotel complex so overnight safety is assured. Another good spot for breakfast/weekend fly-inns!! The manager, Sean, was very helpful and he had avgas for me. I shall be returning to Wavecrest too someday. http://www.wavecrest.co.za/ Thanks Sean.

Margate – by now my genny was getting tired and my battery couldn't swing the mighty 582. No local aviators were around on the long weekend but the firemen on duty suggested that I contact the lady in the tower for jump leads – unfortunately her name escapes me right now – of course she had a set in her car (woman are so organised) and with some help from the firemen I was on my way. Many thanks to all.

Ballito microlight airfield – my Kolbs new home and new favourite airfield. Once again I needed assistance as I had left my car at King Shaka airport. Dave Jackson – the local Microlight flying school owner stepped up and whisked me to my car. http://www.microlights.co.za/flying_school.html Thanks Dave.

It was a pretty daunting flight at 75 mph what with work commitments always around the corner and the very real potential of head winds, turbulence and bad wx. But the support from all those along the way made it a fantastic series of flights. It is heartening so know that such friendly, helpful people still exist.

And last but not least, thanks to my wife, Sue, who wasn't happy with me flying around the country with a “lawn mower” engine. She kept an eye on vfr tracker on-line for me. It was good to know that in the event of an out landing I could be located quickly. Take a look at http://www.vfrplanner.co.za

Many thanks to you all.
Regards
Trevor

Ps If any of you aviators need help with petrol, transport etc etc at Ballito or Virginia (Durban) just give me a shout.
Last edited by tka on Fri May 02, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep them level

Re: Rotax 582 Stellenbosch to Durban coast wise!

Postby Keep them level » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 am

Hi tka

Thanks for sharing your ferry flight with us.

I am planning a trip to KZN for Saldanha and have been checking which routes to fly.
The shortest route is Saldanha - Graaf Reinette - Scottburgh where my daughter and her family reside.

I'm not sure which route to fly????

Your route was Coastwise. Was this due to ease of reference?
Raven
ZU-FBL
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bluesmancoops » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:36 am

super post Trev - well done, sounds like you had a really good one
Mike Cooper
Flying is not a hobby it is an addiction
bryan
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby bryan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:12 pm

You missed Wings Park. Fuel and friendship in abundance!
Dobbs
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi TKA, after that flight, Empangeni is just up the road. We have a number of intrepid aviators, mostly trike, but also a couple of LSA's, come up and enjoy our hospitality, and off course the wonderful North Coast scenery.
tka

Postby tka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Keep them level wrote:Hi tka

Thanks for sharing your ferry flight with us.

I am planning a trip to KZN for Saldanha and have been checking which routes to fly.
The shortest route is Saldanha - Graaf Reinette - Scottburgh where my daughter and her family reside.

I'm not sure which route to fly????

Your route was Coastwise. Was this due to ease of reference?
Hi,
I routed via the coast because it is a "must do" route. Our coast is spectacular and every pilot should do it at least once.
Ideally one shouldn't rush it and take in the view and have a buffer for wx etc. I was in pushed for time due to work commitments and I did miss out on some of the sights here and there.

With prior arrangements, petrol or avgas can be arranged at Robertson, Swellendam, Stanley Island, Uitenhage, Wavecrest etc. Avgas is normally available at Mossel Bay, Port Alfred and Margate. It is preferable to have a transponder for George, PE and East London to avoid longer routing inland.

But, if the purpose of the trip is just to get from here to there quickly then the direct route is the way to go. I cant advise on fuel availability though.

Let us know which route you decide on.

Cheers
Trevor
tka

Postby tka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm

bryan wrote:You missed Wings Park. Fuel and friendship in abundance!
Yip, I have heard of the friendly guys at Wings Park. It is on my todo list but I ran out of time this trip. Someday.....
tka

Postby tka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Dobbs wrote:Hi TKA, after that flight, Empangeni is just up the road. We have a number of intrepid aviators, mostly trike, but also a couple of LSA's, come up and enjoy our hospitality, and off course the wonderful North Coast scenery.
Hi,

Empangeni is definitely on my must visit list. It has been many years since my last visit. Is Boet Voges still there. He challenged me to a short field takeoff competition with him in an Aztec and I was in a new Seneca III.

I plan on doing short trips from Ballito in a gaggle of 'anything that flies slow' and Empangeni would be perfect for a breakfast trip etc. We would need you guys to bring us some petrol though!

Cheers
Trevor
Dobbs

Postby Dobbs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Trevor, petrol no problem to organize.

A nice fly away coming up very shortly is the Dundee Battlefields which is 9,10 & 11 May. If you are available, that is really a worthwhile event to attend.

For booking, Google Dundee Battlefields Lodge.
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi Trevor.
Sorry you could not stop over at Munster, as you said time was short. although you have now seen our coast, you can still get a few people together to come down, so we can organise a brekkie. I can always arrange fuel.
Cheers Vernon.
Keep them level

Postby Keep them level » Thu May 01, 2014 12:41 am

Hi
Thanks for your input Trevor.
Transponder has been installed.
When the time comes,I will confirm route chosen

Cheers
Raven
ZU-FBL
tka

Postby tka » Fri May 02, 2014 6:43 am

vernon11 wrote:Hi Trevor.
Sorry you could not stop over at Munster, as you said time was short. although you have now seen our coast, you can still get a few people together to come down, so we can organise a brekkie. I can always arrange fuel.
Cheers Vernon.
Thanks Vernon, we will be visiting in a few months time (^^)
tka

Postby tka » Fri May 02, 2014 6:49 am

Dobbs wrote:Hi Trevor, petrol no problem to organize.

A nice fly away coming up very shortly is the Dundee Battlefields which is 9,10 & 11 May. If you are available, that is really a worthwhile event to attend.

For booking, Google Dundee Battlefields Lodge.
I cant make it this time but I am keen on attending in the future, I grew up in Dundee and I haven't been back for many years.
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Trevor,
if you grew up in Dundee. Did you know the Brents? Darren, Jackie. Parents, Tony and Nova. nova is my sister.
Vernon.