Winglets

Matters of general interest
Jenya
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Winglets

Postby Jenya » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

John.com wrote:These look really good Jenya!

Two questions:

1. Were they developed locally? (by you, I am assuming so)

2. Besides an increase in airspeed, what can one expect in terms of any changes to flying characteristics of your wing/aircraft with the winglets fitted?

Many thanks,

John
Hi John
1. These winglets have been designed by Aeros LTD in Kiev Ukraine (big company - manufacturer of hang glider, microlights, Skyranger fix wing plane, para gliders, kites and many other things for sport aviation.
For few years I imported those winglets, and installed them on my topless wings Stratos TL, which we manufacture in SA.
We also installed those winglets on Stranger wings which have converted to the topless.
I also tried to start to make these winglets locally, because it was very expensive to bring them in SA.
Unfortunately for more than 3 years I was unsuccessful in that.
Likely now we found the right company which make a copy these wing.
And I am proud to say that these winglets are better than original: they are abut 100 gram each lighter and quality and
finish is better.
2. The winglets give more stability on high speed in bumpy conditions.
Jenya, Aerossa-wings.
koosg

Postby koosg » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Please add me also to the list, I fly a Raptor.
Koos "Light Beer"
Aquilla 582
ZU-BXP
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 am

Seems we have conflicting views here gents....

1: Do you need a CAA Mod Approval or not? :wink: Can we get some feedback directly from Braam/Willem please Alex Rudd? If so what is the process....(and how big is the headache? :wink: )

2: Jenya, what is the process when de rigging the wing for transport? How difficult is it to take the winglets off and then re assemble at your destination?

Must say they really do look good on a trike...bit of speed/stability and some "bling" factor too. :)

I cannot see how this would NOT require a mod approval chaps...you are changing the flight characteristics by fitting them?

Regards,
ME 109
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby ME 109 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm

[quote="Jenya"]Winglets to increase stability in bumpy conditions.
Also to speed up your plane for 5-10 mph.
Can be fitted for any type of the trike wings used in SA
Any device that will increase stability in turbulence works for me :lol:
Whatever documents/report/ authorisation is needed, so be it. As soon as we can have confirmation, and stock is available, I will install them :P
Andries Kruger
ZU-CSZ Aquilla 582 (Bumble bee)
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:21 am

Bundy wrote:Seems we have conflicting views here gents....

1: Do you need a CAA Mod Approval or not? :wink: Can we get some feedback directly from Braam/Willem please Alex Rudd? If so what is the process....(and how big is the headache? :wink: )
When I had mods done to my aircraft about nine months ago RAASA advised me in writing that modification reports were no longer required and that an entry in the aircraft logbook signed off by the AP was now sufficient.

I'm not sure if that ruling has subsequently changed.

Cheers, John
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
vanish
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby vanish » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm

yes pls, want them 1 x set
steve 0734455979
Jenya

Postby Jenya » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:24 pm

vanish wrote:yes pls, want them 1 x set
steve <a href="tel:0734455979">0734455979</a>
Steve please email me to jenya@aerossa.co.za
Jenya
Jenya, Aerossa-wings.
Jenya

Postby Jenya » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Bundy wrote:Seems we have conflicting views here gents....

2: Jenya, what is the process when de rigging the wing for transport? How difficult is it to take the winglets off and then re assemble at your destination?

Must say they really do look good on a trike...bit of speed/stability and some "bling" factor too. :)

I cannot see how this would NOT require a mod approval chaps...you are changing the flight characteristics by fitting them?

Regards,
Winglets are connected to the sail only by 2 stainless steel 6 mm pins with safety rings for each winglet.
It will take 1 minute to take winglets off the wing.
Jenya, Aerossa-wings.
witwillem
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby witwillem » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:22 pm

I have just spoken to alex leprechaun , currently on leaf in the Cape , he has a report from Braam hechter , Andre Swanepoel etc official in writing that a mod report is needed , he will be back on the 5 may or call him 0825688635 witwillem
Jenya

Postby Jenya » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:05 pm

koosg wrote:Please add me also to the list, I fly a Raptor.
hi Koosb please email me to jenya@aerossa.co.za with your details. thanks.jenya
Jenya, Aerossa-wings.
vanish
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby vanish » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20 pm

yenya,
eagle has landed at nedbank.
ref: steve, wingspark east london
kind regards
steve 0734455979
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu May 08, 2014 5:17 am

Chaps, according to CAA you need to submit a Mod Application.

I recommend contacting Braam Hechter at CAA for the correct process.
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 am

As I asked before, "Do I need a mod report?" I would imagine so...but RAASA and the CAA must confirm the requirement. Also, if a mod report is required only one mod report will be required per wing type. Once approved the mod can be done to any wing of the same type without additional reports.?
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am

mulderpm wrote:As I asked before, "Do I need a mod report?" I would imagine so...but RAASA and the CAA must confirm the requirement. Also, if a mod report is required only one mod report will be required per wing type. Once approved the mod can be done to any wing of the same type without additional reports.?
Hi Paul,

This is the response I received from RAASA when I had some recent modifications done (highlighted/bolded for emphasis):

Modifications 44.01.10

(1) If a person intends to carry out any modifications, including changes to equipment or the installation thereof, which affect, or are likely to affect, the serviceability of the aircraft, or the safety of its occupants or any other persons or property, in relation to an amateur built aircraft or a production built aircraft –
(a) in the case of a minor modification a notification of the modification must be submitted to the Director, or the organisation designated for the purpose in terms of Part 149, as the case may be, within 30 days of the modification being performed. All subsequent modifications shall be an amendment to the build standard;
(b) in the case of a major modification an application for the approval of the modification and authority to fly, as prescribed in Document SA-CATS 44, must be submitted to the Director or the organisation designated for the purpose in terms of Part 149, as the case may be, before the modification has been performed.

(2) The application referred to in sub-regulation (1) must be accompanied by the appropriate fee as described in Part 187.

(3) All approved modifications shall be entered into the appropriate logbook(s).

(4) An appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or approved person, rated in accordance with Subpart 4 of Part 66 shall sign in the appropriate logbook(s) that all procedures, as stated in the application for modification, were adhered to and that he or she is satisfied with the quality of the work which was carried out.

Once the notification has been received it is placed on file. There is no formal certificate issued from RAASA, however a release to service can be completed by the AP or yourself.

Kind Regards
Willem Grobbelaar
Manager: Administration and Internal Operations
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Gompou
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Gompou » Thu May 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi
Will this be a minor mod, or major mod. that seems to be the question?
Fly safe.
Gompou
Naked Cobra
ZU-CON