Prop strikes from runway debris; tractor v pusher

Matters of general interest
fosterkane
Looking at the sky

Prop strikes from runway debris; tractor v pusher

Postby fosterkane » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:27 am

Hi,

I am curious about the frequency of prop strikes from gravel, etc on bush strips comparing tractor v pusher props, and particularly vs the props situated high off the ground - as in the Bat Hawk and Bantam.

Has anyone seen a study? Anyone operating from a bush strip with both types of planes have observations?

I think the high mounted tractor props must reduce the strikes - but is it a big difference?

Cheers,

Scott
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Prop strikes from runway debris; tractor v pusher

Postby Rudix » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:44 pm

fosterkane wrote:Hi,

I am curious about the frequency of prop strikes from gravel, etc on bush strips comparing tractor v pusher props, and particularly vs the props situated high off the ground - as in the Bat Hawk and Bantam.

Has anyone seen a study? Anyone operating from a bush strip with both types of planes have observations?

I think the high mounted tractor props must reduce the strikes - but is it a big difference?

Cheers,

Scott
Hi Scott,

I have owned and flow pushers and tractors and a tractor will always have less damage from strikes, if the engine is mounted high like the Bantam it is even better.

The problem with a pusher is that at exactly the time when you are going fastest and kicking up the most debris you rotate and then the prop gets even closer to the ground. Also with the prop behind the wheels you get more stuff in the prop.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 am

Agree.
It seems as if it's not the main wheels that throw up most of the stuff, but rather the nose wheel.
A guard/cover on just the nose-wheel , made a huge difference.
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!
fosterkane
Looking at the sky

Postby fosterkane » Tue May 20, 2014 6:40 pm

interesting comment Baitbird, now I wonder if there are any stats on taildragger pushers v tricycle.......