Trike night flying

Matters of general interest
p3tr
Signed up at flight school

Re: Trike night flying

Postby p3tr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm

I would be very excited about this. if it is a training issue then the training should be made available.
i find it rather insulting that for some reason weight shift pilots are seen as naturally inferior.
looking at things in USA it seems they can qualify for a weight shift PPL which enables them to use their crafts with similar rules as other private pilot licenses.
the motor reliability issue maybe needs some sharper resolution. (for overflying built-up areas)

it seems only specific types (2-stroke) of motors need some special care. my understanding is that S-LSA aircraft (almost all using 912) are allowed to overfly towns too.
but that is another fight...

i would personally be very keen to do any further training and rating that becomes available.
ZU-DFM
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 am

I would also be very interested.

If I understand it correctly the aircraft and engine is not the issue. There is no differentiation in any of the air laws for a specific type (WCM, CCM) based on engine type and size....well not in SA. Don't know in the states, but they definitely have much more freedom for LSA. No medical is just one.

I also feel insulted that GA pilots are regarded as 3rd rate citizens, with LSA pilots at the bottom. ## Don't dare to make a noise on Sunday you will be reported...while the super bike rider with no baffles can go on his breakfast run without hindrance...don't fly over my fishing spot, this is a protected area.....and so on...Me thinks they are just JEALOUS!

Fly has always, and will always be my passion....regardless.. (^^) (^^) Maybe, we should just accept it that "We are privileged to be allowed to fly."
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
bryan
Whats the right frequency?

Postby bryan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am

Now we getting somewhere. Not just no it cannot be done , rather lets see if we can get it done. If not then why not
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am

This is something for the MISASA ARO. Maybe it has already been proposed and investigated?

John and Nico what do you think....
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Conrad
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Conrad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 am

I will now fly anything, anytime, anywhere, wherever howa which way I can find it.
The KTM just don't want to lift at high speeds.
Conrad
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Conrad » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

Withdrawal symptoms..I tell ya,
Withdrawal symptoms
johnythelaw
First solo

Postby johnythelaw » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 am

Dag almal

Wat is die verskil tussen n trike / microlight 3 as kontrole of die sling.
Enjin is rotax - net krag verskil.
As jou instrumentasie en landingsligte dieselfde is as sling ?
En belangrik die vlienier se opleiding NB
Waarom nie nag vlieg nie.
Soos iemand hier bo se net in die area wat jy ken en 1 uur voor of net na sononder op n volmaan aand.
Kan net mooi wees.
Ek het self n PPL met nag gradering en het gereeld my maule na ure gevlieg en geland.
Gaan my challenger bietjie bekyk vir n lig en instrument ligte !
As ek n 1940 ontwerp Continental enjin kon vertrou kan ek seker die rattex ook vertrou
SLING HET DIE ENJIN BEWYS- HY WEET NIE OF DIT DAG OF NAG IS NIE

groete van Swakopmund
bryan

Postby bryan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Johnny my punt presies. I am looking for the necessary equipment already and when properly kitted out I will try by all means possible to get permission/dispensation to get trained properly ON A TRIKE. I do know of some LSA aircraft that have night raings legally. If one does it correctly perhaps someone will give us a chance.
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Bryan,

How are things going at Wings?

Do you guys have runway lights? Remembering of course that the last time I had a beer and your legendary burger with you we didn't go anywhere near the runway...

Not knowing anything about the night rating, are there specific requirements for the airfield you take off and land at at night? I would expect there to be a requirement for this, but I don't know the details...

Chat soon

Craig
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:54 pm

There is no provision at all for a night rating in Part 62, so doing this with an NPL will require a whole raft of exemptions. In theory there is nothing at all stopping a PPL holder with a trike on their license from applying for a night VFR ATF though.
p3tr
Signed up at flight school

Postby p3tr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 pm

see that is good to hear. i'm assuming that for PPL one needs to train on a silly 1940 blik aircraft, but it won't kill anyone to do so.
so the only question may be, could one get endorsement for a weight-shift type on a PPL? you seem sure that one can?
ZU-DFM
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:08 pm

You can do your PPL on a Jabi/Bushcat/Sling, etc, although the actual night rating will need to be done in a blik.

I have 2 CCM type on my PPL license - I am pretty sure you can get a WCM rating on it too...
bryan

Postby bryan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 am

Craig we working towards getting lighting in the not too distant future. I really hope we can eventually manage this. Experiments by some people who are prepared to share some facts make me believe it can only be awesome under the RIGHT conditions.
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 am

Duck Rogers wrote:
Bundy wrote:Personally, I would not want to fly any type of single engine aerie at night. Any need for an emergency landing is not likely to end well over a darkened landscape.
Bundy, its very simple really.
If you have an engine out, switch on the landing light to see where you going down..........if you don't like what you see, switch it off again! :twisted:
I agree with the eend, at night this is so much easier, we had to close our eyes when we went down in the day but then you have to look at the airspeed, so open your eyes, then you see the ground, then close your eyes en so aan........YOU SEE EVERYTHING :shock: :lol:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.