Trike night flying

Matters of general interest
bryan
Whats the right frequency?

Trike night flying

Postby bryan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:45 am

I would love to hear more about reasons for or against flying a trike at night. It would appear that it can be done in the States. I know about the South African laws and the legal aspects aside what do pilots feel about it. Are our engines really as unreliable as is propogated, or are we stuck with old fashioned beliefs. Lets have some good sharing of genuine feelings.
Regards
Bryan Erasmus.
Wings Park East London.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Trike night flying

Postby Bundy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07 am

I think it's unlikely that this will ever be allowed by those in the regulating seats....

Personally, I would not want to fly any type of single engine aerie at night. Any need for an emergency landing is not likely to end well over a darkened landscape.

Some others may view it differently though....
LDV
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby LDV » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:22 am

Bundy , I agree with you , but have you thought of a hour before sunrise and hour after sunset ?
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:42 am

Well..... in the summer time you still have good visibility an hour before and an hour after. So there I would agree to a certain extent....
bryan

Postby bryan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:21 am

Now we getting on the same page. I would not want to do serious cross country flying at nightBUT AFTER hearing of some experiments across the country and chatting with some long in the tooth pilots, WOULD be very keen for some relaxation of the rules. The single engines does not bother me. We trust it every time we fly and it does not know if its day or night. In GOOD calm conditions with bright moonlight it can be awesome in the circuit.
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 am

Quote : " .......it would be awesome in the circuit. " :? :? The question is, would it remain there ??
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
bryan

Postby bryan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 am

Jean you are right. But as you also are aware in every rule there are rule breakers, thats how developement happens. I am not advocating rule breaking however if nobody pushed the envelope we would still be in the dark ages, hence the point of this discussion. There are pilots who have broken night flying rules many times and so proved it CAN be done safely. Lets try to analize the objections and try to find a way to legalize it under certain conditions. Thanks for your input so far . At least we can have a sensible discussion.I want to hear more from okes with experience possibly
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:39 am

I think it will be awesome flying in and around your known home field with full moonlight, runway lights on with pilot and plane on 'auto pilot'.

THe obvious problems just outweigh legislative approval.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
bryan

Postby bryan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:29 am

In your opinion what are the "obvious"problems. There are very few I am aware of. Legal issues aside. Are these problems real or perceived. No disrepecte intended. Lets see if we can fix them
Bryan
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 pm

To me the obvious would be;

Flying into unfamiliar airfields and not having known familiar referencesto assist with the reduced visibility. Regardless of whether your flying is competant, not everyone's night vision is acceptable,

The chance of returning to your strip covered even partially with cloud,

Nocturnal aninals including rabbits either 'freezing' on the runway or straying in your landing path,

Heightened level of flying competancy (licence)- higher rating? minimum hours?

The issue of added risks to pax and property owners- life and aircraft insurance limitations,

Higher risk of exposure and premiums to the collective insured aircraft,

Condition of strip, runway lights -all working, taxi ways,

Insurance and liability, both to pilot and aerodrome owner.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby hermand » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:27 pm

There's some really amazing night vision equipment available today. Could this possibly be an alternative? http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forum ... ggles.html http://www.pipistrel.si/news/alpha-trai ... tified-for
nothing new to add.......
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 pm

The basic requirements for night VFR is very similar to day VFR, you just need navigation lights, landing light and instrument lights. And a lit runway ;)

I cannot see why you could not do it with a trike.

Should be fun!
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:27 pm

I know this was investigated many years ago, and some pilots were given the relevant authorisations to test the theory.

From what I heard, after a few close calls with extremely experienced and competent pilots on board, the concept was shelved.

I can't quote details, as this was braai side conversation.

Cheers

Craig
Last edited by CVStrong on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bryan

Postby bryan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Ok Now guys are starting to be constructive . Firstly as the aircraft, it would have to have at least the minimum instrumentation as required to night rate any aircraft. No problems. That can be done. Next, the airfield. One would not be flying into some bush strips, but to knownfields with lighting. Therefore the risk of animals on the runway the same for all aircraft. Now we come to the pilot. He or she would have to do the night rating like any ppl pilot. Bottom line thus in my humble opinion is to try to get the law relaxed a bit to be able to legally prove a point. The danger is the same no matter you on a trike or flying in a Mooney. Probably much easier in a trike since much slower and better vision all round.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:31 am

bryan wrote:I want to hear more from okes with experience possibly....
Please form a nice neat orderly que to receive your notices of intended enforcement action.... :lol:

Interesting debate/topic guys.... there is a nice article by Jim Davis in this months SA Flyer on this subject. Interesting fact mentioned there that most Night Flying accidents happen on TO before the aircraft has even completed the crosswind turn...First few minutes of night flying almost solely relying on instruments then moving to VFR. The challenges you face in a blik are the same challenges you will face in a trike. I have flown at night as PAX in both Cessna and R44. Must say I was far less nervous in the chopper as we were flying over the city landscape (well lit)....the Cessna trip (cross country) was a little stressfull for me. Horizon clearly visible whilst VFR but the ground is one big 360 degree "black hole". Chances of successful landing....as close to zero as you can get in my opinion....

Tumbleweed has listed some pretty big challenges there...quite a few of them insurmountable I would think. If the laws could be "relaxed" in some ways, this would only be possible at controlled aerodromes, you would need to be transponder equipped too I would think, AH installed.... ($$) ($$) ($$)

But I will admit I have often wondered what a clear clam evening sky would feel like as a pilot.