Advice on the Bantam80/85 hp

Matters of general interest
Jon Hewitt
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Advice on the Bantam80/85 hp

Postby Jon Hewitt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 am

Hi all
I need some advice please ,i currently fly a trike and am in the process of changing to 3 axis .I have spoken to my instructor etc ,i have a great respect for him ,but i need some advice from fellow banatamites .
firstly ,i have located two good bantams with low hours at good prices ,one is a 85 hp the other 80hp ,the 85 has 344 hours ,imaculate condition and the 80 hp still new ,both going for pritty much the same price .The question is the motors ,which of the two do you think is best (besides the hours ) and why .
I am 95 kg ,with a pax will the 80/85 be ok ,i fly out of Komatipoort,at 1000 feet .
According to people that i have spoken too there are pro and cons ,(some say poor stall characteristics )etc etc etc ,and that there are better aries out there ,than the bantam (eg thunderbird ) ,those of you that fly the bantam ,is there anything dangerous about them ,as a new 3 axis pilot that i should know about .

some imput would be much apreciated,if any one is interested ,you are welcome to flyout to my strip on the farm ,will gladly pay for fuel ,would be nice to see how the 80/85 handles .
cheers Jon
jhewitt@cbl.co.za
pit bull
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: Advice on the Bantam80/85 hp

Postby pit bull » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am

HI JON,

MY 2 C WORTH;

THERE IS ''NOTHING'' DANGEROUS ABOUT A BANTAM AS PER SAY!!!!!! ( easy & docile ) AND GREAT TO FLY.
nothing better in it's class.
motor's = solid lifters is better ( if both have solid lifters, go with the one you like the most )
I am 97kg and fly out of eagles creek (4900m amsl ).......... no problem
pro's= very stable, excellent directional control, grate short field take off and landing, handle wind and tubulins very good, excellent vision-out-off-cockpit
cons= it is not fast, but I am sure you know that. ( I cruise at 55-60kts ) indicated air speed.
I can promos you, you will not regret baying a bantam= you will LOVE a bantam
phone Andrew pappas, and terry they are close to you, they will sort you out on any thing you want to know ( there are a lot of bantamites in you area
dit is my'' eerlike'' opinion, and my 2c worth.
pit bull
Blessed By THE BEST.
Jon Hewitt
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Jon Hewitt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for the advice pit bull .

when you say solid lifters ,what do you mean , i remember some one telling me one day about the difference of the two ,i think he said some thing about having to set them time to time .why would solid be the best .

i f am correct he called them maechanicall lifters ?????
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm

I would also say the 80 hp maybe a slightly better engine.
I always had a pax with me and combined min weight was 190 kg's plus fuel and we flew from 4600 ft alt on a short strip also no problem, still miss my toy.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah so its common knowledge im the biggest bantam fan this side of Nelspruit.

I have the 85 HP 4 cylinder motor - services are reasonable, fuel burn is good and in general I cannot fault the plane. Im 99 Kgs usually fly with a 55 kg passenger and full fuel. My only concern is the climb rate which is not great at 300 odd FPM when loaded. I love my bantam. Not fast, but that's okay, she's stable, forgiving and easy to fly. Flown a few thunderbirds and whilst a nice little plane in my humble opinion I prefer the bantam. I prefer the cockpit layout and the seating position. Room to move in the cockpit and in general for me an awesome little aerie.
Call Andrew Pappas if you have any concerns or visit www.microaviationsa.co.za -
RV9
DISH
pit bull
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby pit bull » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:55 pm

hi,

solid lifters= ( you just adjust them )= push rod that ''push'' on to the rocker = hens the name ''solid-lifters''
the other type = hydraulic lifter = work's with oil ( oil pressure)
maybe someone else can explain it better please.
ek is Afrikaans, en sukkel met die ENG
hoop dit maak sin, maar dit is my opinie,
KOOP N BANTAM JY GAAN DIT GENIET
pit bull
Blessed By THE BEST.