SsangYong Lexus V8 conversion...

Matters of general interest
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

SsangYong Lexus V8 conversion...

Postby Henni » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:31 am

Hi all,

We recently had a Lexus V8 plus auto box fitted to our broken SsanYong Musso EL602. The company who did the conversion, quoted us R23 000 less than the normal price. Everyone warned me against it and said it could not be done at that price.

Well, we've got her back for a week already & every time I start her, I'm thrilled all over again. I should have done this long, long ago. It was worth every penny & she performs like a dream. If any interest shown, I'll post some pics & more detail of the installation.

I plan to look out for a broken SsanYong in a otherwise mint condition & then have the same done to it. Unfortunately ours is not in such a mint condition, but she is now at least sound mechanically.

All the best,

Henni
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: SsangYong Lexus V8 conversion...

Postby Jean Crous » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:02 pm

What is the fuel consumption as opposed to the diesel engine ?
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Jean,

It seems to be exactly the same. I got around 550km out of 60 litres with the diesel. I seem to be getting the same with the Lexus. Keep in mind that this is at much better speed. The diesel fell back to 80 kmh on many uphils, the Lexus does not even so much as flinch ... I've filled up twice now. Yes, my foot is still a little heavy on the V8 as it thrills me, so I might even do a little better on the fuel in the long term.

I am extremely happy with the installation. Done about 1000 kms now, no problems of any sorts. Stays cool, lots of power. They used the standard Lexus electronics. No fancy buttons for anything. The auto box kicks down smoothly when needed and gear transfer is very smooth indeed.

They quoted R35 000. In the end it cost me another R2200 as my exhaust system was shot & they had to replace completely. So all in all under R38k. Closest other quote was R58k, so a huge saving for me.

From beginning Jan this year to now they've already done 13 installations. When I collected, they were busy with another 4 conversions in one go. Yes, their premises looks like a scrap yard, but their workmanship is excellent. I will refer anyone to them anytime.

All the best my friend,

Henni
Attachments
2014-03-12-2964.jpg
2014-03-12-2965.jpg
2014-03-12-2966.jpg
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Henni,

i am in the industry, and the price you paid was high! The engine with auto gearbox sells for R8000.00-R12000.00 the installation is not a big job, the biggest issue is making up engine and gearbox mounts. The Spitronics system that runs the gearbox swell as the engine sells for less than R6000.00.

I personally fitted one to a Ford Ranger bakkie of a friend of mine, and threw out the 2500 Diesel engine. The total cost of the job was R19000.00 with everything purchased except the mounts which we made ourselves.

it is a nice conversion for a bakkie or SUV - but I'm afraid you overpaid there.
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 am

Hi Turbo,

The guys over at AVCOM in the know informed me that it could not be done for under R60k. Some of them had quotes for R50k odd, but they all say in the end it cost them much more due to unforeseen problems.

When this company quoted me R35k, I received many a warning that it will be a bad installation due to the low price. So, pity you were not around when I asked for advice over at AVCOM for I could not find a better price at the time. And was it not for someone over there who knew about this company, my best price would have been R58k and I would have gone for it...

Off course if one does this yourself everything will be much cheaper, but this is definitely not my cup of tea. In any case. I've now done around 1500 km and I am well pleased. Yesterday she took 53 litres for 485 kms. I am still a little heavy on the accelerator, so it will even get better in future. Not bad for all that surplus power. I'll do same any time again if I have to - it really was money well spent.

Just out of interest, If I do manage to find a otherwise mint SsangYong with a broken engine, how much would you quote me to do the same?

Keep well my friend,

Henni
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:27 am

Henni wrote:Hi Jean,

It seems to be exactly the same. I got around 550km out of 60 litres with the diesel. I seem to be getting the same with the Lexus. Keep in mind that this is at much better speed. The diesel fell back to 80 kmh on many uphils, the Lexus does not even so much as flinch ... I've filled up twice now. Yes, my foot is still a little heavy on the V8 as it thrills me, so I might even do a little better on the fuel in the long term.

I am extremely happy with the installation. Done about 1000 kms now, no problems of any sorts. Stays cool, lots of power. They used the standard Lexus electronics. No fancy buttons for anything. The auto box kicks down smoothly when needed and gear transfer is very smooth indeed.

They quoted R35 000. In the end it cost me another R2200 as my exhaust system was shot & they had to replace completely. So all in all under R38k. Closest other quote was R58k, so a huge saving for me.

From beginning Jan this year to now they've already done 13 installations. When I collected, they were busy with another 4 conversions in one go. Yes, their premises looks like a scrap yard, but their workmanship is excellent. I will refer anyone to them anytime.

All the best my friend,

Henni
That looks nice (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 am

Turbo wrote:Henni,

i am in the industry, and the price you paid was high! The engine with auto gearbox sells for R8000.00-R12000.00 the installation is not a big job, the biggest issue is making up engine and gearbox mounts. The Spitronics system that runs the gearbox swell as the engine sells for less than R6000.00.

I personally fitted one to a Ford Ranger bakkie of a friend of mine, and threw out the 2500 Diesel engine. The total cost of the job was R19000.00 with everything purchased except the mounts which we made ourselves.

it is a nice conversion for a bakkie or SUV - but I'm afraid you overpaid there.
Will it fit in a Mahindra Bolero?
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 am

Hi Nicow,

They fit it into anything. Owner even fitted one into his Nissan 1400 bakkie. Their company vehicle is a Tata bakkie with one of these.

Henni
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Henri -- you cant fault the japanese engines, small or big!! They work and work WELL -- they not the most powerful V8's but they efficient.

In the end its about research i guess -- one thing we all know in the automotive game is "stay away from forums" because the TYPE of "keyboard ninjas" you get floating around are little children or immature fools with nothing but opinions and absolutely no fact --

Aviation i must say is plenty different -
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Turbo,

I am well pleased with my installation. It turned out to be everything I've hoped for & more.

Henni
lambada
First solo

Postby lambada » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Pm send......
lambada
First solo

Postby lambada » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Turbo

Please call me on 0833775227 ..................

Regards

Pieter
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:28 am

Henni wrote:Hi Jean,

All the best my friend,

Henni
WOW, nice conversion Henni! I agree, the V8 can be thrilling! After driving mostly inline 6's for many years I recently changed to a V8 and yes, I am a bit heavy with the foot but the sound and the acceleration puts such a smile on my face I do not care about fuel consumption ;)

Congratulations on you monster SsangYong!!

Regards,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi Rudix,

Shes old and worn, but now at least shes willing. Today was her first long drive and that with a one tonne trailer behind. Went like a breeze. All in all I am very happy with the conversion.

All the best my friend,

Henni
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:17 pm

I prefer diesels. ( operational requirements, and grew up with diesels :wink: )

But I must agree, the change from a inline 6 to a V8 ( still diesel) seriously affect the way you pull away at a stop street or robot. :lol: )

It just happens !! 8)

The installation looks nice and clean - enjoy.
That SsanYong will def surprise a few youngsters at the robot!!!

Bb
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!