SsangYong Lexus V8 conversion...

Matters of general interest
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: SsangYong Lexus V8 conversion...

Postby Rudix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Henni wrote:Hi Rudix,

Shes old and worn, but now at least shes willing. Today was her first long drive and that with a one tonne trailer behind. Went like a breeze. All in all I am very happy with the conversion.

All the best my friend,

Henni
Hi Henni!

Sounds like a winner! Now I am wondering if my Pajero could do with an upgrade, was going to replace it but this might just be the solution. Need to think it over....

Keep well my friend, hope you will be in the air soon!
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Baitbird wrote:I prefer diesels. ( operational requirements, and grew up with diesels :wink: )

But I must agree, the change from a inline 6 to a V8 ( still diesel) seriously affect the way you pull away at a stop street or robot. :lol: )

It just happens !! 8)

The installation looks nice and clean - enjoy.
That SsanYong will def surprise a few youngsters at the robot!!!

Bb
I also love diesels Bb, but for a change I wanted brute power, in this case about 350kw and 610nm running through a 8 speed gearbox. Addictive vhpy
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Rudix

What type of monster are you driving? Show us a pic, sounds very interesting.

Henni
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Henni wrote:Hi Rudix

What type of monster are you driving? Show us a pic, sounds very interesting.

Henni
Hi Henni,

Nothing special, a stock standard BMW 650i

Here she is before she got her number plates, have only been driving her a short while but I think I am in love vhpy Loaded with electronics from active suspension, active steering, night vision, heads-up display and radar to mention a few.

Rudi
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Rudix,

Someone at work took me for a short spin in his. It had twin turbos. Ive never been in anything that accelerates so quickly, so I know how you feel. I am really happy for you my friend.

Sorry, I stand to be corrected. He had the X6. Dunno if they share the same engine...

Keep well,

Henni
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Henni wrote:Hi Rudix,

Someone at work took me for a short spin in his. It had twin turbos. Ive never been in anything that accelerates so quickly, so I know how you feel. I am really happy for you my friend.

Sorry, I stand to be corrected. He had the X6. Dunno if they share the same engine...
Keep well,

Henni
Hi Henni,

Thanks, yes, the acceleration is amazing! The engine is similar to the X6 but tuned more for "sports" as it is lighter and has a different, lower, suspension and "active" exhaust that changes "tune" according to mode. The gearbox is also different, in economy mode it sits at about 1800 rpm @ 120 and it is not even in 8'th gear.

It is amazing how freely this big V8 revs, feels nippier than my Porsche.

Regards,
Rudi
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Rudi my friend,

Why does someone like you bother with the type of aircraft you fly. I fly them because thats all I can afford to fly at the few times I can afford it at all.

Man, you are so far outside my league Im amazed you even talk to me... Dont you yearn for something more sophisticated? I should really call you sir when I address you and really, no pun intended.

Henni
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Henni wrote:Rudi my friend,

Why does someone like you bother with the type of aircraft you fly. I fly them because thats all I can afford to fly at the few times I can afford it at all.

Man, you are so far outside my league Im amazed you even talk to me... Dont you yearn for something more sophisticated? I should really call you sir when I address you and really, no pun intended.

Henni
Henni, I fly what I do because I love these planes. If it gets to sophisticated the fun goes out the door! I like "fiddling" with my planes, if I really need to go from A to B I fly commercial.

Hey, leave the "sir" bit!! We are flying buddies remember, and this car is just a "mid-life" crisis thing (again ;) ) It is just me spoiling myself after getting through a bad patch (health).

Keep well my friend.
Rudi
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Rudi,

Sleep well mate. Hopefully well yet share many flying stories again.

Henni
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Rudix wrote: Hi Henni, Nothing special, a stock standard BMW 650i Here she is before she got her number plates, have only been driving her a short while but I think I am in love vhpy Loaded with electronics from active suspension, active steering, night vision, heads-up display and radar to mention a few. Rudi
Nothing special? Sweet ride :)
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Henni wrote:Rudi my friend, Why does someone like you bother with the type of aircraft you fly. I fly them because thats all I can afford to fly at the few times I can afford it at all. Man, you are so far outside my league Im amazed you even talk to me... Dont you yearn for something more sophisticated? I should really call you sir when I address you and really, no pun intended. Henni
Hey Henni, there is something about flying by the seat of our pants that we all love. No fancy gadgets needed to feel the freedom of the sky :) And as far as cars or other items goes, it does not put men in different leagues. We are all the same mate :)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 am

Henni wrote:Hi Rudi,

Sleep well mate. Hopefully well yet share many flying stories again.

Henni
Thanks Henni!

Just got back from 2 hours flying in the Bush Baby, life is good vhpy

Yes, soon we will make new flying stories!

Have a great day!
Rudi
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 am

slysi wrote:
Henni wrote:Rudi my friend, Why does someone like you bother with the type of aircraft you fly. I fly them because thats all I can afford to fly at the few times I can afford it at all. Man, you are so far outside my league Im amazed you even talk to me... Dont you yearn for something more sophisticated? I should really call you sir when I address you and really, no pun intended. Henni
Hey Henni, there is something about flying by the seat of our pants that we all love. No fancy gadgets needed to feel the freedom of the sky :) And as far as cars or other items goes, it does not put men in different leagues. We are all the same mate :)
I agree 100% on both the planes and the cars! (^^) (^^)
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:50 am

The joys of flying simple stick and rudder aircraft, dawn patrol and sunrise at Rhino Park this morning vhpy

Getting the Bush Baby ready for a flight, still pre-dawn

Sunrise!

Playing hide and seek with the sun
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:48 pm

lambada wrote:
Turbo wrote:Henni,

i am in the industry, and the price you paid was high! The engine with auto gearbox sells for R8000.00-R12000.00 the installation is not a big job, the biggest issue is making up engine and gearbox mounts. The Spitronics system that runs the gearbox swell as the engine sells for less than R6000.00.

I personally fitted one to a Ford Ranger bakkie of a friend of mine, and threw out the 2500 Diesel engine. The total cost of the job was R19000.00 with everything purchased except the mounts which we made ourselves.

it is a nice conversion for a bakkie or SUV - but I'm afraid you overpaid there.
Turbo

Please call me on 0833775227 ..................

Regards

Pieter
Your phone is on voice mail constantly .. number correct