Low Flying - Wave Skimming

Matters of general interest

If the report is accurate iro the wave skimming Aquilla, do you condone Low Flying!

Poll ended at Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 pm

1. Yes
14%
2. No
24%
3. If it can be done safely and within the regs
63%

Total votes: 51
Splinter
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Low Flying - Wave Skimming

Postby Splinter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:32 am

Although I want to agree with Big-G I understand where Bundy in coming from.
Seeing that Astrix criticized them on a public forum I feel a public apology is in order.

Ruan Schwartz
Lower, Lower ...........
MILO
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby MILO » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am

I agree with DarkHelmet - let his post be the last on this thread.
I just don't like consciously lining up one of those holes in the cheese. :)
If you can fly today - leave everything else for tomorrow
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:04 am

The mods are in comms with each other and will advise but quite frankly I don't think "banning" is quite the way we go about things ....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:38 pm

BIG-G wrote:Hi Guys. I really seldom get onto the forum as unfortunately I simply don't have the time. But what really makes me angry when I get calls that certain people on the forum are commenting on how Demon and I fly.

Unfortunately I believe the comments have been removed. But a common name keeps coming up of who is the biggest pot stirrer.

Asterix!!

Why can he not be just removed from the forum as it seems like he is a trouble maker. For example how many people cancelled their trip to the Africa Cup due to his crazy weather predictions. How much money did the Hotel loose out on. Did he compensate them?

Now he attacks my and Demons flying I believe. Good grief. Between us we have at least 9000 hours in Microlights. We were flying when he was still in Nappies. When flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Now there he stands as judge.

Lets have a vote and have him removed.
1. Mods, I would be more than happy with a vote as suggested;
2. I cannot find any place where I launched personal attacks; Those deleted were pretty damned personal at me as well?
3. I thought personal attacks would be dealt with? The above seems to qualify? (Don't worry -I do not really feel offended at the above post..) I have context.

As an aside, and just to answer the question about the unrelated topic on my crazy concerns on flying to Numbi - I have not received a bill yet on the losses I cause. I will settle that bill once I receive it. Everybody can decide for themselves. I don't yield decision-making power over anyone. They can read mu opinions and dismiss it, or take it to heart. Every PIC decides for himself.

I thought about this whole "banning" issue that Big G raised. I tried to keep to myself about it, but can't. I feel bad that people decide to leave - but hey - I once experienced the same thing. Personal choices to engage subject matter or not.

But again - I will not apologize for raising concerns over bad behavior. If that gets me banned - fine.

Mods, you can have that vote. I give it my consent and blessing - and will accept the outcome. Getting banned here however will not silence me. vhpy
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:09 pm

....sort the personal rubbish out in private please gents as this bickering has no place on microlighters!!!

Reminds me of when best mates starting fighting at school, the white line was drawn and each one urged the other one to transgress over this boundary... you hit first no you hit first etc. ##

Anyone is welcome to PM anyone of the MODS on this matter further.

Chaps, go fly, have a braai and a drink (^^)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:33 pm

These post are getting out of hand. There appears to be an underlying cause here that is not apparent to the rest of the members of the forum unless you are directly involved. I suggest you take it off the forum and discuss it directly with the members concerned. We are not interested in your dirty laundry.

For the rest let me just set the record straight about Microlighters.

This forum was started by Demon, many years ago, with the purpose of promoting all forms of microlight flying and the pilots who fly them. The intention was to create a space where all pilots could discuss their adventurous exploits, latest acquisitions, new exciting upcoming trips etc. From day one there was an absolute rule to never insult, judge, defame, report or criticize. It has been these principles that have kept this forum from descending into the abyss of bullshit that other forums suffer from. As such no single member is allowed to drag the forum down. If you want the excitement of conflict go somewhere else.

The result is the members have happily posted here without the need of any form of policing. We have, in all the years only ever banned two members, and they justly deserved it. Otherwise, you respect the rules, we respect you.

This particular thread has been hijacked and I suggest that this be the end of it.
Greg Perkins
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:40 pm

As all can see, this thread has been unlocked for further comment and discussion :-)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Low Flying - http://www.microlighters.co.za/imaWave Skim

Postby Turbo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:59 pm

CVStrong wrote:
Turbo wrote:
CVStrong wrote:Well said Bundy...

I have learned that there are only 2 kinds of pilots, those who have had an accident, and those that are going to...

Craig
Man thats what i call half empty glass -- id prefer to look at it as half full and maintain that the multi billion dollar industry is worth as much as it is, purely because of the safety precautions, reliable engines, planes etc are in service -- i believe that the as long you obide by the rules, and do pre-flights, services, maintenance etc etc etc etc why should you have an accident?

recklessness and cowboy antics, blatant disregard for rules, regulations, precautions, etc will only get you into trouble.
Hi Turbo,

While I definitely agree with the last statement quoted, I don't entirely agree with your first statement... The Chris I have got to know here on the forum does not strike me as a kick the tires light the fires kind of guy... yet in your thread "Close one!! TOO Close!" you yourself came very close to having an accident, and I have no doubt that you were very thorough in your pre-flight, and that the maintenance done on your airie is without question, but still you had a close call... What would the outcome have been if that filter had blocked anywhere but on on the runway? what if it had caused an engine out somewhere over the escarpment while on your way to Hoedspruit area?

Craig - remember the reason i believe i came close was purely because of the fact that i purchased a second hand plane and although the flight folio was present, there are a number is things (and i know of MANY pilots and even more "workers" who repair/service planes who are guilty of this same thing!!) that have not been logged in the flight folio -- the eventual problem with my plane was a blocked filter INSIDE the mechanical pump - which is a Pierburg (the best pump known to a Rotax engine period!) This is now replaced with a BCD which is a serviceable (you can open it) pump which can have a replacement diaphram fitted and or filter etc

IF i had known that this Pierburg pump was fitted in 2006, i would have replaced it LONG AGO as these pumps have a 5 year life span unless serviceable -- i didnt, as it was not logged in the flight folio as it should have been! The pmp was NOT the stock Rotax unit from the factory as this was a bulletin called to replace ALL mechanical pumps 2005 and prior -- which was done with the best ...

Please understand that I am in no way criticising you, or your airmanship in any way or form, but merely illustrating that these things can happen to the most conscientious pilots out there... --- Craig absolutely - no offense taken bud. :)

The Accident I had, which was discussed here on the forum, had nothing to do with pre-flight, maintenance (the airie had been fully checked and serviced less than 10 hours before the crash) or any rule breaking of any sort, we were merely unlucky, and in a phase of flight that made recovery under the circumstances difficult if not impossible... --- you certinaly have a point....agreed!
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Chris,

There you go, you have proven my thoughts on your thoroughness, and I would feel safe getting into any airie you have just because of your attitude towards doing things right and to the best possible standard... that said, you also show how easy it is for someone no matter how thorough they are to pick up issues due to the failures or lack of completeness of others, and circumstances beyond their control... We as pilots have to a certain degree have to rely on others and what should be a universal standard level of care is as we see unfortunately not...

Your near incident taught you a whole bunch... and the choice of fuel pump on your Cheetah is a result of that learning amongst other things I am sure... like not trusting that everything is done to the same standard as you expect things to be done to...

Hence for the same reason, when we trust our engine to perform as it should, who are we trusting in the process?

This all comes back to the decision making around where and when we fly... Our decisions need to be based on the information we have at hand, and the trust we have in the outside factors that could influence what we are doing... This in turn should affect what our actions are in those cases... so if we are flying over "hostile" terrain the preceding information will let us make the decision on how high we will fly...

At the end of the day, if we are flying within the regs, and we have taken the above into account and are happy to fly at the level we are flying at, over the relevant terrain we are flying over... then we should be flying with a clear conscience...

All of that said, I still feel that when we add a pax to the mix, then our chosen level of safety, with the relevant consequences should change, as our responsibility shifts from being responsible for ourselves and our airie, to additionally being responsible for the life of a person who is trusting our decisions as applied to the previous points... at that stage, flying higher so that you have more options is for me a given...

As I have said before though... to each his own...

Cheers

Craig
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Agreed - I'm a perfectionist by nature and the little things peev me off, so everything I have done to my plane is done to perfection!!! Just keep in mind with or without a PAX you possibly almost alwaysnholdmsomeone else's life in your hands, on the ground whom you might just land on, crash into etc etc.

Touch whatever it is you believe in - that it never happens to any ofuson the forums, in fact anyone at all.
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Ek dink ek het dit al voorheen gese.

Daar is mense op hierdie forum met meer ure op hul trikes as wat hulle posts op die forum het, lees maar gerus aandagtig as hulle iets skryf, daar altyd iets te leer.

Dan is daar weer ander wat baie meer voor die rekenaar sit,alles lees en alles weet.

Besluit maar self waar en van wie jy wil luister en leer.

Ek het saam n klomp Springs manne van staal gevlieg en geleer ( die bietjie wat ek weet) en hulle almal het baie meer ure as posts, dan is daar n klomp manne soos, Demon, Big D , Gassman, Blyth, Fred, Big man, Splinter, Flo,Gaylord,Thatchman, en vele meer waarmee jy n uur lank kan deurbring deur saam met hulle te vlieg en 1000de ure se ervaring kan ontvang.

Ongelukkig post hulle nie veel nie of glad nie, Ek dink hulle lag hulle gatte af vir van die goed wat hier kwyt geraak word en vlieg eerder as post

Groete

Sukkelaar
Kyk Noord
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Good post Sukkelaar.

There's also the high mile instructors and others that only fly the patch in sterile training conditions.

Choose who you want to cross the Lesotho mountains with and who's hangar talk you'll gain more experience from.

But if only 51 votes contribute to a survey than we can conclude how many actually visit here.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Just take care when flying low over Van Reenens pass to see the new sign being put up on Monday, but i will just advise the detail..

Welcome to Currie Cup country !
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:23 pm

ZULU1 wrote:Just take care when flying low over Van Reenens pass to see the new sign being put up on Monday, but i will just advise the detail..

Welcome to Currie Cup country !
It's up . . . . GO SHARKS!!!! (^^)
Welcome to Currie Cup Country - Sharks 2013.jpg
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"