Low Flying - Wave Skimming

Matters of general interest

If the report is accurate iro the wave skimming Aquilla, do you condone Low Flying!

Poll ended at Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 pm

1. Yes
14%
2. No
24%
3. If it can be done safely and within the regs
63%

Total votes: 51
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Low Flying - Wave Skimming

Postby hermand » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:18 am

The only time you are allowed to fly low is when you take off or land or when inspecting a possible landing site. You cannot land on water (yet).
nothing new to add.......
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:27 am

Minimum heights
91.06.32 (1) Except when necessary for taking off or landing, or except with
prior written approval of the Commissioner, no aircraft –
(a) shall be flown over built-up areas or over an open-air assembly of persons
at a height less than 1 000 feet above the highest obstacle, within a
radius of 2 000 feet from the aircraft;
(b) when flown elsewhere than specified in paragraph (a), shall be flown at
a height less than 500 feet above the ground or water, UNLESS the flight
can be made without hazard or nuisance to persons or property on the
ground or water; and...

Is it illegal or is it safe?

What people always seems to miss is the sentence that follows the word UNLESS.

Assuming that you are away from people as per section a), You may NOT fly at less than 500ft AGL UNLESS you can do so safely and not irritate dickwads and animals and endanger property. Unfortunately you will never know when you have irritated said dickwads. We recently had CAA dish out a R10K fine to a pilot who flew along my beachfront because a beach goer took a photo of him including reg and sent it in to the News Paper. The CAA police picked it up and the rest well..... The fact that a camera has no depth perception, there was no way to prove he was less than 2000ft from the beach, he was wacked anyway.

One of the greatest pleasures is hours of low level flight up the beach at 30ft AGL at a sedate pace of 50mph, floating on the cool air. The negative of course is the corrosion that goes with this from the salt, but that is another story.

Is it safe? Well that comes down to the Pilot and his abilities and his perceptions of his abilities. What can be said is 50mph over the waves, away from people, is a lot safer than 500ft AGL at 400knots. Two completely different things

Until CAA remove that UNLESS... bit, as far as I am concerned it is legal given you are meeting the other requirements of that section.

This forum has never been about hitting the man, there are other aviation forums who are very adept at doing that. Microlighters is about planes, people and celebrating the joy of flying. We do not criticize, publicize, insult our fellow members. It is a pity then that certain arrogant individuals have succeeded in driving away those who actually have the experience and knowledge they would never achieve in their lifetime. This all leaves a very bad taste in my mouth
Greg Perkins
hermand

Postby hermand » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:03 am

You may fly low when taking off, landing, or inspecting a possible langing site. You cannot land on water.
nothing new to add.......
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 am

=D* Morph

The regs wording has changed slightly but in essence the same...
91.06.32 (1) Except when necessary for taking off, or landing, or except with prior written
approval of the Director, no aircraft –
(a) shall be flown over congested areas or over an open-air assembly of persons at a
height less than 1 000 feet above the highest obstacle, within a radius of 2 000 feet from
the aircraft;
(b) when flown elsewhere than specified in paragraph (a), shall be flown at a height less
than 500 feet above the ground or water, unless the flight can be made without hazard
or nuisance to persons or property on the ground or water and the PIC operates at a
height and in a manner that allows safe operation in the event of an engine failure; and
(c) shall circle over or do repeated overflights over an open-air assembly of persons at a
height less than 3 000 feet above the surface.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks Morph, as always the voice of reason (^^)

Morph also wrote
. This forum has never been about hitting the man, there are other aviation forums who are very adept at doing that. Microlighters is about planes, people and celebrating the joy of flying. We do not criticize, publicize, insult our fellow members. It is a pity then that certain arrogant individuals have succeeded in driving away those who actually have the experience and knowledge they would never achieve in their lifetime. This all leaves a very bad taste in my mouth
Yes this really is unnecessary, and I can only hope that these very experienced and respected members of our forum realize that the rest of us value their inputs. We must now all suffer by members leaving this forum because of distastefull comments made by certain individuals - Really saddens me. Thanks John Boucher for moderating the discussion the other day, could have been worse had you not grabbed in.
Big D
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Big D :-)

The highlighted part was changed for obvious reasons ... especially for the chaps in the big smoke. You may also have noticed that your ATF's wording has changed :-)
(a) shall be flown over congested areas or over an open-air assembly of persons at a
height less than 1 000 feet above the highest obstacle, within a radius of 2 000 feet from
the aircraft;
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Also glad that certain topics were deleted.

Couple of points:

1. I am not against low flying. Never was - with a couple of caveats. If you do yourself the trouble of reading my initial post on the locked topic - you will see it there - and as Thatchman rightly points out - I am against the banning of low flying and enjoy it myself. I have even been equally vocal when people try to argue that nobody should fly low, ever, anyplace.

2. However this was never about flying low along/over/gliding distance from a beach, nor about legality. It was about flying within meters of waves, out at sea. With no options but to ditch.. And just on that point - the witness was my father. Hardly a person that throws himself into knots. And with enough hours in my backseat and constant listening to my conversations about trikes, he was honestly concerned at the display - over the shark nets! (He jokingly called it "shark net inspection." Same way he refers to my low level exploits over the crops every December as "crop-inspection".) So please - he is not your average beach goer who lacks perspective on what he sees. If he was concerned- it leaves me concerned.
All the arguments about hard sand etc. is not applicable - rather the points I made in my sarcastic post - which are very real dangers - are applicable; For pointing out the factors that may kill you on ditching, my post was called diabolical drivel.

3.Thatchman - there is a big difference between flying low over 50 cm high maizeplants, along the rows,(and yes - collecting some topleaves in your backwheel axels,) whilst knowing exactly that what is underneath you will only require a round out, flare and landing should you get engine out. Probably with damage and some injuries, but at least not trying to swim with a waterlogged flightsuit and a helmet. Come on - is it really similar to being in the sea after an engine out? :?:

4. I still maintain that it is dangerous, because there is no options but the water, and drowning is almost guaranteed. And again - I was never gunning down low level flying per se

5. ... If you look again at my original post on the locked thread you should probably agree that was not my intention.

6. I find it hard to swallow, and distressing, that pointing out behavior that should not be acceptable makes me the black sheep. And again, sets of a worry in the back of my mind that risky behavior becomes normal and acceptable, the more we look over it or condone it. And again I say that it is easier to have these talks in the absence of an accident.

7. If having these talks upset some people, well, then that is so, and I will not apologize for your discomfort.
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Last edited by Asterix on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:58 pm

James... you are making valid points but toss them all out of the window by highlighting other issues. I say again, I locked that thread for specific reasons and the mods are in agreement but if this thread is going to go the same way, I'll do the same.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Last edited by Asterix on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Asterix your reference to " the devil and Big G" ?? Two of the most respected and experienced microlighters we have is in poor taste- and they are my mates.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:16 pm

It was not me who reffered to them in that manner. It was Tumbleweed. Your chom. Again - people - please read before commenting?
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:18 pm

James... you are making valid points
Focus on those points as it adds real value to those who want to learn, be forewarned and ultimately decide for themselves...

I agree - a freak wave slapping the wheels could wreak havoc and am not oblivious to that but in the same breath, a Gompou launching itself out from amongst the mielie fields also poses just as much danger... (experienced something similar in the PTAR in 2006 out Klerksdorp way when when did the mielie fields thing to gain time!!)

Use it or lose it... :)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Again - the setting up of straw-puppets, shooting them down and declaring victory! Laying words in my mouth, Thatchman.. Should I refer back to me original question of Yes or No.?

You know what? Enough is enough. I am getting a sworn statement and assisting in laying a complaint. Which was never the intention - but what the Hell - I am not gonna keep on crawling/explaining. Some men you just can't reach.

As I said before - it is appalling that one is made the leper for pointing out bad behavior. Clearly this community has already reached that stage - the "new normal." I will not be part of it.
Last edited by Asterix on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 am

Conrad wrote:I have a KTM 990 to go fast and leave the unsafe BMW driver behind, I drive a 4x4 vehicle to enjoy the high mountains on the edge of a high road, I have a pipecar to have fun with my boy on a muddy road, I did paragliding at Bulwer in the mountains, I fly trikes to see more and feel more than the guy in the blik aerie,
Flying trikes is/should be one of the most freedom flying feelings out there.
But this sport is getting smothered by rules and regulations faster than Zuma losing votes for the next election.
KTM990 leave a BMW behind - I think not pal. BMW is safer bike than any KTM will ever be, not to mention top selling in all classes too. Ride one and learn why. ## ## I think opinion rules n this one, unless you keen for a challenge at kyalami with your 990 against my (slower bike just to prove a point) 1200adventure.... My last recorded time with Schicane still in place was 2min04sec and with out the shicane was 1min59sec, albeit with Michelin pilots on!

However point agreed on In respect to the flying comments, I have two blik aeries, but when flying with Tyrone, the trike is just freedom and bliss!!