To the Green Winged Aquila who skimmed the waves at Ramsgate

Matters of general interest
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

To the Green Winged Aquila who skimmed the waves at Ramsgate

Postby Asterix » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 pm

My Dad arrived earlier this morning at his flat @ Blue Lagoon, Ramsgate, and this afternoon was standing on the balcony as you passed by... Being a supporter of trikes (because of ME, :roll: ) he watched you....

He SAYS:
1. Thank you! It made him think of me;
2. Looked like fun. He wishes he was in the backseat - Ex post facto - with the knowledge that you didn't dip your back wheels in the surf and nosed over, down to Davey Jones's locker, and assuming that you landed safely afterward;

He ASKS:

1. Was there a pax? Prior to the lovely display - having the knowledge that he does from his son's constant talking about "triking", he would not have gotten in the backseat.
2. Was it safe in the event of an engine out - he asks weather you can swim? Apparently the waves were a couple of metres under you..
3. What is your fine if caught on camera? (He will take his camera to the beach tomorrow - so don't do it again! :lol: )

BEWARE DUDES! You NEVER know who is watching... Riemtelegram loop van Ramsgate na Poloks.......Luckily it was my Dad - so he phoned ME, and not Margate....

I am a BIG lover of low flying, make no mistake. I do it where I know that I am safe - with solid, even earth underneath me, intimate knowledge of the area - and ALWAYS without pax. Also, far away from the 1000ft above and 2000ft radius rule from any built-up area / assembly of people. Also - I don't steam low level abeam a very busy beach, with hundreds of potential witnesses...

Whilst I share your desire to skim the waves - I suggest you do it a) alone, and b) far from busy beaches. Imagine the crap you would have put this whole (small) community through if you landed up in the waves? Front page news, a lot of negative comments about the "dangers" of these grassnyer engine powered death traps, and MORE regulation. THINK man, THINK!

So - WHO are you? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

NS: We have been doing a remarkable job in the "Incidents and Accidents" section of this forum. Nothing major and tragic to read. The "thugs" have been doing well. Remember however that at the end of 2011/begin 2012 we had some serious accidents, resulting from low flying.. Let's not screw up our record as we forget, and need some new examples to set us straight again.

On my coffee table I have this excellent book on aviation accidents, that does not deal AT ALL with aircraft and potential mechanical failures. It deals with the psychology of people that are inclined to take up flying - a personality trait of its own that indicates that we are all "risk-takers" and Alpha type people. It shows the dangers of flying from the perspective of our personalities, and demonstrates the tragic outcomes when we crash and burn in perfectly serviceable aircraft. The stats in that book show that most GA aviation tragedies has got nothing to do with aircraft failure, but poor decision making. And that decision making is spurred by our senses of invincibility and superiority. The fact that you fly, already indicates your propensity to make ego - driven decisions. We have to guard ourselves, against ourselves. We are inherently "risk takers".

If you have not read "Avoiding Fatal Flying Traps" - do it as soon as possible. You will become aware of the danger within yourself, and judge situations better - subdueing your lust for recognition by peers / bystanders....
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: To the Green Winged Aquila who skimmed the waves at Rams

Postby Bundy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:11 am

What a strange feeling James.... I find myself agreeing with you? :lol: ^

Wise advice. Your Dad being the gent that he is would not have called had he not had genuine concern. I seldom venture low... just ask the Tailwinds... not worth the risk for me but there are places and times where there is nothing more fun than being 15 ft off the deck...and I too do not do it when I have a PAX. Legal, SAFE (as safe as can be) and fun. You just need to analyse your situation and know when these conditions are there. If it happens "spur of the moment" they are usually not.

If we could take ego and ignorance out of aviation we would get as close as we are ever going to get to that 100% safety record. The airplane has come a long way in the last century. It has developed from a death trap to a highly reliable piece of machinery built on sound principles and technology. In most cases, the only unreliable bit left is the fleshy bit in the middle.

Safety is a discipline just like flying. The desire to be a safe pilot does not stop you from making bad mistakes in the cockpit, but it does give you a mindset to recognise and learn from your mistakes. To err is human.... but not to learn from that same mistake is ignorant. It is often the difference between a lucky pilot and a dead one.

Thanks for posting James.
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 am

James Boet, the fact that you handed out fines at numbi doesn't make you a real policeman vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy

Kidding Popcorn and a coke for this one : s071 s071 s071 s071 s071 s071 s071
RV9
DISH
Gaylord Focker
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Gaylord Focker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:05 pm

($$)
Wild Chicks,Cold beer,KY Jelly and Gt450 Nothing else required!!!!!!!!!
THE FORCE IS STRONG ON THE DARK SIDE
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Gaylord Focker wrote:($$)

($$) Indeed.
Gaylord Focker

Postby Gaylord Focker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:13 pm

($$) ($$) ($$) xxx xxx xxx
Wild Chicks,Cold beer,KY Jelly and Gt450 Nothing else required!!!!!!!!!
THE FORCE IS STRONG ON THE DARK SIDE
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:19 am

demon wrote:EIsh let the guy fly and have fun. He broke no law..he made his own choice,
If the eye witness is anything to go by, your statement is incorrect. First offence R10 000...lucky for him no one took a photo. Landing safely on the beach in the event of an engine out is a lot more fun I'd imagine?
demon wrote:Asterix, you have gotta learn to chill mate :roll:
Now that I will agree with...he did afterall ban himself once! :lol:

This highlights an issue....and reminds people to think about the consequences. Some do, and some don't. The choice is yours...
in the sticks
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby in the sticks » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:36 am

I agree with Demon.I just wish there were more pilots like him.You will always find its a fellow microlighter who will report another pilot for low flying or some small indiscretion.Lets all just enjoy our love of flying and not want to run and report our fellow aviators.Dont you think there are enough restrictions already ???
Alkemac
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Alkemac » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Let's think about this - isnt it the little indiscretions that are adding to the thickness of the rule book ? :(
ZU-DODO
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby D2O » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Alkemac wrote:Let's think about this - isnt it the little indiscretions that are adding to the thickness of the rule book ? :(
...and the number of accidents.

I can't believe it's even being debated! :shock:
He has an engine out, just then, what's going to happen? Do you guys REALLY think that's ok???!!! :shock: :evil:
Plane-less
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:41 pm

in the sticks wrote:Dont you think there are enough restrictions already ???
Yes I do...and if we all just obeyed the rules we would prob need not be burdened by more....

Death is the ultimate restriction.... and there are a lot of permanently grounded pilots who may disagree with your thinking.

This is not about running to report something, its about common sense, not as common as you'd think... :wink:
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:38 pm

:)
I think Asterix is just teasing! :P
Low flying is low flying, being over land or sea.
We all do it, and more so when us Valies get the opportunity to visit the coast.
For what reason will my aerie now all of a sudden get a engine out when I do a little low flying along the coast. :?:
The next time I visit the coast with my aerie, I will do some low flying and if possible I will land on the beach. That is a promise..
Daar moet net nie lamppale naby wees nie. :lol: :lol:
Die Afrikaanse spreekwoord vir hierdie debat is: Om die bobbejaan agter die berg te gaan haal.!!
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Paul, When you do decid3e to come to the coast, call in at Munster.
Regards,
Vernon.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 am

Bundy wrote: This highlights an issue....and reminds people to think about the consequences. Some do, and some don't. The choice is yours...
Unfortunately the folks who kill themselves, and others, all know the rules..... they just don't think they apply to them personally.

Jim Davis
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 am

Let the guy have some fun, no law broken, no danger to others - We all fly low when we consider it safe

Too often on this site have I read about guys naming a trike colour or registration where the guy was not breaking the law, once I opened Microlighters to read about myself in my "Yellow trike" where a fellow pilot was occusing me of some nonsense - I asked him to remove his post feeling quite angry about the whole thing and when he found out it was me, turns out we know each other and all of a sudden it was no big deal anymore

Lets keep things fun and positive
Big D