Flew to Hoedspruit this morning - yee haaaw!!!

Matters of general interest
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Flew to Hoedspruit this morning - yee haaaw!!!

Postby Turbo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Hey all,

Thought I would share a lekker flight, yet a scary one for me,with you all. This morning a friend of mine and I flew out to a lodge ( man I forget its name) in hoedspruit, after Mother Nature decided to hold us back with the frikkin fog this morning, we went to Wimpy for breakfast, and took off at 08h30 and flew over delmas, over witbank, then decided to land at middelburg, which has no frequency loaded on the latest chart from RAASA --- and couldn't get anyone on the radio to assist, we decided to fly on to lydenburg, where we also saw no freqnuency in the chart, but eventually got it 124.8 -- landed at a deserted strip, for a comfort break.

We had to climb extremely high to clear the mountain range (with sufficient clearance to avoid rotor and wind effect from the massive mountains!!) and when we landed in deserted Lydenburg i realized that its pretty damn awesome this flying thing..... :) :)

Anyways we took off again after a comfort break, and headed toward the next massive range in front of us, to which I had to route further east to clear the highest point, as I didn't want to have to climb too high again. Anyways, it is a rather scary experience when the wind moers you around up there, at a point I had full rudder input, and not enough authority... So I decided to Maar change direction and go with the wind, and found myself doing 128mph ground speed (108mph wind speed) in a matter of a second or two!!! Sweaty palms and a skid mark or two, found me talking to 126.4 hoedspruit control, who ..... And listen to this!!!

When I called in " hoedspruit civil, Cheetah ZULU UNIFORM, DELTA YANKY BRAVO, good morning" I was greeted with excitement and "a very good morning DELTA YANKY BRAVO go ahead" I frowned... I replied "DELTA YANKY BRAVO, routing from lydenburg to hoedspruit civil, two on board, 4 hours endurance, requesting passage please"

Tower -- " DELTA YANKY BRAVO, squawk 7000, QNH1025.............."
DYB -- "Control, no transponder installed"
Training aircraft in the area --- " LAST CALLER, YOUR POSITION AND HEIGHT PLEASE!!!!"
Tower -- " DELTA YANKY BRAVO, what is your position and speed??"
DYB -- " DELTA YANKY BRAVO, apologies I am not familiar with the area, we have pilgrims rest on our 6 o clock"
Trainee-- "PANIC PANIC.... DOUBLE TRANSMISSION"
Tower-- "DELTA YANKY BRAVO, PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU ARE PASSED PILGRIMS REST!!??"
DYB --" Tower, DELTA YANKY BRAVO- confirm passed pilgrims rest"
Tower -- "DELTA YANKY BRAVO, PLEASE CONFIRM FLIGHT LEVEL!!?? Other aircraft In the area, aerobatic practice underway in the box at zandspruit-- please steer clear and remain clear of Hoedspruit military air space!!"

Hahahaha eventuall they realized that the Cheetah was the small one - not the fast one!!!! Needless to say, the guys in the tower were awesome and guided me through unfamiliar territory with the utmost assistance and patience!! Thanks to the gent in the tower this morning you a star boet!!!!

Without him, I would have more than likely caused GROOT Kakas in the aerobatic box near zandspruit which was directly in front of my GPS routing.... Alas, what a scary and intimidating flight, a safe one, but scary none the less for a pilot with a total of just over 110hours under his belt. Kaaaaking myself for the flight back on Sunday....

I love my cheetah, what a plane!!! Yee ol faithful!!
Last edited by Turbo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papalima
Pre flight checks done

Re: Flew to Hoedspruit this morning - yee haaaw!!!

Postby Papalima » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Welcome in the Lowveld enjoy it!!
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Well done Turbo. (^^) Cross country flying can be very challenging. We are flying down to Numbi at the end of September for Africa cup...similar route...we are going to rock and role. Slap chips, a kidney belt and Sanatogen are a must. (**)

ATC guys are always there to assist. They are awesome. (^^)

Glad you are safe.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Well done Turbo.

I returned yesterday from Central Botswana in my Jabiru. Had some nice turbulence over Sua Pans. This was the furthest trip i have done so the nerves were also tense but what an experience. It is nice if you have somebody with experience with. I had to do it all by my self so the confidence levels are not always there.
I did almost 1000nm trip and am still on a high since yesterday

well done and enjoy
Cheers
Piet
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Lekker man, lekker vhpy

Thanks for sharing, sounds like it was great fun
Big D
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Hey Big D. Are you ever going to go to Numbi broer
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Hey Gents,

We left hoedspruit this arvies around 12oclock, due to an awesome game drive in thorny bush, we saw the big 5 and a kill that a leopard had made and covered in the dense bush, the youngster was guarding it.... Awesome.

Anyways, the flight back I opted for the lower mountains, and routed with the oilfants river through the gorge to loskop dam and middelburg, where stopped and experienced guys cable launching gliders... Wow!!!

The trip was scary as it was quite bumpy and I tell you what the wind when it KLAPS you in those mountainous areas, it KLAPS you, we were gaining and loosing up to 200feet of altitude at a time!!! I KAAAAKED myself!! :oops: :oops:

The trip was awesome, and the fact that I was on the throttle alot due to constant climbing for the high mountains,,the 95HP rotax still did 12 liters per hour!!! Total of 60litres of fuel there and back!!

I LOVE the Loweld!! We also went to the air show at Zandspruit estate, and man o man was that a treat!!! That HOPKINS is pilot of NOTE!! The Harvard's were there and the really impressive L29 and L39 jets were also there!! The Trojans were MOER loud and really impressive, and the sun sets and overall experience was second to none compared to the lodges I have been to.

The place we stayed at was called Kaya Ndlovu, and just an awesome, tranquil, and beautiful place to go to!!! As usual too short! But a definate recommendation to all.

Thanks for the compliments guys, but next long one will be with the Navion.... Can't wait!
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks for sharing with us (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT