Took my first flight in a trike today!!!

Matters of general interest
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Took my first flight in a trike today!!!

Postby Turbo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi all,

Today was slightly different for me. I started flying and went straight into a cheetah, never really had the chance or prove ledge to fly in a trike before that. Anyways I took off at FASI runway 03 and was left downwind when Echo alpha papa was rolling on 03 - ol Johan suggested we fly together to Aston lake and do a touch and go at a nearby runway, I agreed and we flew together - we were flying at 70mph which impressed me about the Aquilla 582. My cheetah flew nicely at this speed and we slowed to around 55mpg for some time, we flew close proximity to one another and overall was lekker!!

Anyways long story short, we landed, and there was enough sunlight for a quick intro flip in the Aquilla, so Johan strapped me in and we took off on 03 again and I was nothing short of IMPRESSED!!!! Not from a mind blowing "look how fast this thing is"kind of way, but the flying sensation itself and the view, freedom, and ability to fly slow and ultra low to the ground was all part and parcel of a great experience, and needless to say a frikkin expensive one, as now I'm considering a trike for my collection!!

Hopefully in time for summer!

I envy you trike pilots!! vhpy vhpy
AWACS
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Re: Took my first flight in a trike today!!!

Postby AWACS » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Aha Turbo,
Now you're talking. Different kind of flying altogether but also serious fun.
DO NOT go for a flip in a GT-450.....not good for your bank manager xxx
Raptor 582
ZU-Sling 2
Conrad
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Conrad » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:34 am

Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:30 am

Welome to the samoosa side of flying :)

Will be interesting to see if/what trike you pick

IMHO one of the best trikes are Windlass with 503, back to basics no mess no fuss and you can pick them up for R30k

Cheers
Ant
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:10 am

Welcome to the dark side vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy

I started flying trikes and now moved on to PPL but will never, ever get rid of my trike. That is my weekend social flying with friends. Low, slow and lots of fun. The fixed wing is my middle of the week commuter. It is fun but the social aspect of formation flying with friends etc sure is awesome. I found with fixed wing flying it is more of meeting each other at the destination but with trike we all fly together (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 am

Glad you enjoyed it (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 am

It's the end for you my friend....now you must buy a samoosa too. (^^)

Sien!...ons praat nie k@k nie....dis Moer lekker! (!!)
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 pm

yaaa jussie -- i have two planes already, and now heart is pumping for a trike -- BLIKSEM!!!!!

And no i wont get into a GT-450, i have been warned by many already.... i know i will want one!

i was thinking along the lines of a scout or aquilla --- minimum with 582 engine -- thoughts??
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Turbo wrote:yaaa jussie -- i have two planes already, and now heart is pumping for a trike -- BLIKSEM!!!!!

And no i wont get into a GT-450, i have been warned by many already.... i know i will want one!

i was thinking along the lines of a scout or aquilla --- minimum with 582 engine -- thoughts??
Turbo,

You are definitely not the only person in this dilemma... Francois the instructor I did most of my flying with at Centurion Flight Centre has both an Aqullia and a Cheetah... AWACS has a Raptor and Cheetah, Piet Meyer has a Raptor and a Jabi... I am sure there are many more in this boat... ##

I unfortunately can only have one... so Trike it is and I Looooove my Raptor... She is sooo Sweet... (!!)

Hope you find the type that suits you best... but as the other guys have said... welcome to the dark side... hang on that sounds like something someone who believes that trikes are not real airplanes would say... So, Welcome into the light... (^^)
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

I hear you CVstrong - I now have a cheetah, a Navion, and looking for a trike ... I like the topless wing, and the scout and Aquilla are appealing to me, then again I haven't seen anything else, but I know the support for the scout and Aquilla are solid... Unless I'm wrong...?

I am use enlarging my hangar, to for the cheetah and Navion, - how the hell a trike will fit in also I have no idea!!! :shock: