Go ballistic

Matters of general interest
mwjimmel
Signed up at flight school

Go ballistic

Postby mwjimmel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:57 am

Ballistic chutes for Trikes. Yea or nea?
ZU DZG
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Go ballistic

Postby nicow » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:43 am

mwjimmel wrote:Ballistic chutes for Trikes. Yea or nea?
I have two in the hanger that I took off from my trikes....
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:19 am

I am only aware of one deployment locally, although there may have been more.
The deployment I know of was not initiated through structural failure, but rather an engine out over rocky terrain near Bronkhorstpruit Dam.

I'm not convinced that it is absolutely necessary, but it sure is a nice to have.

Anyone know what the minimum altitude it can be deployed is?
Byron Kirkland
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am

bobthebuilder wrote:Anyone know what the minimum altitude it can be deployed is?
Something Like 250Feet i think.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Loco » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 am

If I could afford one I'll put one in my Aquilla
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:49 am

I have one because I bought my Cobra with one installed. Would I buy one to install? Had you asked me this 2 years ago I would have said "no" without thinking.

But now I don't know anymore..probably not.

IMHO I think that if you want to fit it you should not become fixated about it - and forget about the important stuff like being able to do forced landings etc. You should probably view it like an airbag in your car - know that it is there and then forget about it!

(BRS has been used successfully globally in something like 300 deployments, I think.)

http://brsparachutes.com/lives_saved.aspx
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 am

I think if i had the Cash for one i would put it on.

Anybody got a Got second hand one up for grabs :?:
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07 pm

Tailspin wrote:I think if i had the Cash for one i would put it on.
Same here. Apparently to repack it costs about as much as a new one and they have an expiery/service interval. I know of some deployed units lying in hangars at Springs. Too expensive to repack. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:34 pm

So rule is do not fly out side of the Limits.
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I have it that very few chutes installed in SA is actually repacked after 6 years. Cost.. in $'s. That's why I say - don't get fixated on it and like Tailspin say - keep in the envelope, (but then again sometimes the wind picks up quickly, of hoe? :wink: )
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Always an interesting debate amongst pilots.

I have always been "undecided"...to be truthful, my bank balance "decided" for me. :wink:

One could argue that you should always fly with enough height and options for a landing....green belts....fields...etc etc. A sound fact I guess, but there are often flights that will be conducted where there are zero options. I cant fly to TC for example without crossing miles and miles of thorny bushveld....engine out there = crash, no question about it. :wink: Hmmm....same in mountains/rough terrain.

So it seems, considering the above... wise to have it IF you can afford it...and more importantly maintain it?

I do question however whether we all would possess the sense of mind to use it in the right circumstances? The panic, fear and loss of awareness in a catastophic emergency would in the end be the deciding factor....still takes a concious decision by the pilot to use the technology!

That would be different for us all...and cannot be simulated. :wink:
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Agree Bundy. And even in thorny bushveld I would venture that you can still get in between the trees, total the trike, but walk/crawl away. Pulling the chute here will probably ALSO total the trike in any event.

Over mountains - yes - an option - but again over serious mountains the chute will probably be effective untill it catches on a rocky outcrop and leave you dangling.. :shock: Or you touch down on a slope and slide all the way down from there :shock:

In cloud: - easy - don't end up in it! :P

Also no directional control once deployed - so imagine a wind drifting you to some undesirable place like a powerline? :shock:

Having one, I have often pondered in the event of an engine out whether I would use it, and I must say most probably not - unless it is my absolute only glimmer of hope. I would rather attempt a landing, even if it means breaking the trike. It is gonna break in any event with the chute deployed - uncontrolled.

Catastrophic structural failure - you are dead already - so yes - it would make sense :lol: to deploy it - IF the G-forces allow you to get your hand on the lever. And how often do you hear about reasonably well maintained trikes, flown in acceptable weather in an acceptable fashion suffering catastrophic failure?

NS: PRACTICE your engine outs. KNOW where your plane will go / can go without power. This is probably worth more in terms of desirable outcomes than a red lever between your legs. But yes - it has its place - a couple of hundred living pilots will testify to this..but it is NOT a guarantee of surviving a crappy situation. Rather concentrate on managing / avoiding such situations. :wink:
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 pm

MacGuyver's honest account of his deployment on the forum in 2005:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=847&p=7634&hilit=chute#p7634

Whilst the chute saved him, he should not have been in the air..admitting this as an honest man. (^^) Any accident is a trail of events leading to the eventual outcome. We (myself included), tend to forget this sometimes. And no amount of canvass in the shape of a parachute over a trike can beat the DECISION to BREAK the chain of events. This can be anything from:

1. Deciding that that flat tyre as you walk into the hangar is a sign to remain earthbound;
2. Turning around;
3. Doing a precautionary landing while YOU are still flying the plane as opposed to being flown BY the plane; ( I LOVE precautionaries..gives you a smoke / pee break :lol: )
4. Having a beer with your mates - the decision is then made FOR you. (^^)
5. etc, etc.

I think that the big danger involved in fitting a BRS could ## be a sense of complacency. Let me explain with a hypothetical situation.

You are on a X country that involves flying legs over inhospitable terrain, like mountains, plantations or deserts. Your risk is already increased because of the terrain and the altitudes you would need to achieve, so as a very basic first step, you should be sure that your trike is in immaculate condition, as is the quality of your fuel, and yourself in terms of your mindset, mental preparedness for the flight, are you rested or not, hangover / irritation / stress etc.

Secondly, the weather should be in perfect conditions for the time of day and the ETE for your leg. Because remember already the terrain is a big risk factor in itself.

A given individual without a BRS may look at the above before departure, decide it is marginal, and err on the conservative side, knowing that there is no second chances, and remain earthbound. The same individual with a BRS fitted, may look at the same conditions, again decide it is marginal, and err on the risky side, thinking that there is a "safety net" if conditions turn against him, and take of.

A BRS should not be viewed as an enhancement to the flying abilities of you or your craft.

My 2 cents :wink:
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Just one last thought: The biggest advantage that you have as a trike pilot over other forms of aviation is the ability of your aircraft to:

1. Glide;
2. Land short;
3. Land slowly;
4. Be relatively inexpensive and easy to fix after an oopsie.

Leverage on these abilities of your craft, and make sure YOU have the ability as PIC to use these abilities when you need to.

If you crash after you have actually flown her "down onto the deck", your crash has more in common with pranging a scrambler-bike than "falling" with a microlight!

And we don't read about the deadly dangers of moto-cross daily, do we? Following from this, Mr. mwjimmel: DOES THAT BIKE SUPERIMPOSED UNDER YOUR WING ON YOUR AVATAR HAVE AN AIRBAG? No? Why not? :roll:

You see? vhpy :wink: :wink:
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:20 am

Asterix wrote:4. Be relatively inexpensive and easy to fix after an oopsie.
Ek glo nie Stef sal saam jou daar stem nie chom..... :lol: Remember his post on my "What we learnt Thread"??
Stef: "Here's what I learnt...DON'T prang your trike!" :lol:

But in the bigger picture yes... (!!)

Would be interesting to see the difference in opinion between LSA and WCM with regards to this subject? :)