How to start Microlighting?

Matters of general interest
Meiring
Signed up at flight school

How to start Microlighting?

Postby Meiring » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:47 pm

I have been reading this forum for some time with the intention to get into Microlighting. I just sold my Lotus 7, so I'm ready to start a new adventure. Although I have a million questions I will start with these ones!

I live in Nelspruit , what size motor will suffice for our altitude?

What is the ultimate lifespan in hours of a microlight (or at what hours can one still safely purchase a microlight)

Would it be best to buy a microlight and to learn to fly with it, or does it not matter if you learn to fly on a different type of microlight.

Is there any flight training schools in Nelspruit (with good reputations!)
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: How to start Microlighting?

Postby Loco » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Welcome! (^^)

I'm sure Bundy will reply shortly :lol:

Best is to go visit your local flying field & chat to the guys

Motor depends on how much pap you (and your pax) eat in the mornings :lol: Usually a 503 will suffice but 582+ is very nice

Trike airframes typically need parts to be replaced @ various intervals e.g. 1000/1500/2000 hours, best to check the manual

Engines typically need a major service (decoke) every 300 hours

Not always easy to get a school that's willing to train with your own trike because they have to register it in the school with the CAA

My humble advice first get your license then go looking for a trike unless you get an absolute bargain

Cheers
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Welcome to the forum (^^) (^^) (^^)
Phone Raasa(011 082 1000),and ask them where a trike school close to you is,and go fly with them.The instructor should be able to assist you.
BEWARE....once you started...you can't stop.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Loco wrote:Welcome! (^^)
I'm sure Bundy will reply shortly :lol:
I'd be a K@K Misasa PRO if I didnt chom... vhpy

Meiring, welcome to Microlighting. (^^)

I must warn you in advance that this is more of an incurable disease than a hobby. vhpy (!!)

There is so much to this sport, and it would be impossible to go through it all at once....but briefly, here is some initial info.

Cost of licence: Average seems to be about R35k (Minimum 10hrs dual and 15 solo)
Cost of decent 2nd hand trike: Anything between R25k and R100k.
Lifespan depends on a lot of factors like hangerage, UV exposure, runway condition etc etc etc. Most airframes will last well over 1000hrs. Wing sails normally last about 10-15 years before replacement, and your engine will be inspected every 300 hrs for a possible overhaul.
Engine: Well I fly with a 582 up at altitude and am very happy....have never flown with the 503 so will leave that for others to comment.

Before you delve too deep and get mixed up with all the 100's of threads of info and discussion....go book yourself an Introductory Flight and get your first taste of what a sammoosa feels like (^^)

I asked Mervyn (Instructor at our airfield) who he would reccommend, and he said you should get in touch with Brian Young from Pyramid Flight School.

http://www.pyramidflight.com/

Give him a shout and go see what the world looks like from the open cockpit! When the bug bites, it bites bad! (!!)

Agree with Ant above...Train first, then buy. You will learn a hell of a lot about trikes during your training to enable you to make a good choice once you near the end of your training.

Good Luck and keep us informed (^^)

Lots of help and advice from the guys here as you go along. :)
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:17 pm

OOOOOOO KOOK -- hier kom nog n addict!

Whatever you do Meiring, once the bug bites you, dont complain, cause there aint no cure!! You will want to own this aircraft and build yourself one of those aircraft, and fly in that one and look at this one, and JUSSIE i cant sleep now, that last red and black one was so leeker, i wonder how much it cost ...

And then the alarm clock goes off it pops your bubble -- hehe vhpy

Welcome sir! vhpy
Meiring

Postby Meiring » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks for the good wishes. I never realized that I work only about 10 km from Pyramid Flight School! Will definitely visit Brian today.
Folla
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Folla » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Start it with a BANG!!!!!
Because This is not Flying, It's a Fucking Adventuuuure.
Sorry Mod. for language but hey sounds better.
Folla

This is not Flying, this is a Flippen Adventure.!!!!![/size]
Folla
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Folla » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:38 pm

demon wrote: yes folla please make sure you....spell adventure right next time :? (**)
That was part of the sentence. Drag it out, drag it out.
Barberton Sparkie
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Barberton Sparkie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Meiring.

Was vanoggend by Piramid, jou nie daar gesien???? :lol: Brian was my instrukteur, baie streng ## maar wat wil jy hê, slap gat of goeie instrukteur? Ek verkies iemand wat streng is en nie kort paaie vat. Sal nie fout maak om by Brian jou opleiding te doen nie. Kom, maak klaar, ek soek nog vlieg buddies.

Sou eers my lisensie klaar maak en dan trike koop. My opinie. Ek vlieg altwee tipes engines, 503 en 582. Albei baie goed. Albei perform vir my baie dieselfde, al wanneer ek baie met die 582 vlieg is wanneer ek op langer vlugte gaan. Die verskil op die twee sal dalk meer van toepassing wees op plekke met hoer altitude.

Kom kuier gerus, kom vang n flip saam my en kom voel die verskil van die twee enjins.

Ek is so 10km buite Barberton op Badplaas pad.

Deon
082 807 0218
The electrical farmer that flies.
ZU-DEX
ZS-WOE
ZU-CCR
ZU-EKP
Meiring

Postby Meiring » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 am

Hi Deon,
Was verlede week by Brian. Gaan die week saam met hom op. (My vrou ook!) Sal daarna finaal besluit wat om te doen. Moet se die oubaas lyk streng, maar ek stem saam, sal eerder dinge op die regte manier wil doen. Hoop nou net vroulief hou ook daarvan!!