What's the newest on 4 stroke motors for trikes?

Matters of general interest
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

What's the newest on 4 stroke motors for trikes?

Postby Asterix » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Barring Rotax 912? :wink:

The 582 is "suiping" with the new topless Spirit 15 and actuator once you trim at 65 mph. Die hele set-up vra nou 'n 4 slag - later - sodra ons die blue top genoeg gemartel het.

HKS?

BMW mouterbaaik enjin?

Jabiru? :lol: - (Kan 'n ou 'n Jabi motor in 'n trike sit?) :?:

Geen onmiddelike planne nie - maar hierdie "nuwe" Witchy Woman SUIP!
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: What's the newest on 4 stroke motors for trikes?

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Check this out, I'm thinking of buying one! http://Www.vernermotor.eu -- the engine you want is the JCV360 it's cost is 3270 euro -- if you want fuel injection, add 800 euro!!

Will definately consider their radial version when it's released!!
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 am

Asterix,

In addition to the fuel consumption...is the RPM on the 2 -stroke not going to be an issue in the long term? DBP cruises S &L at 4800 (solo) 4950 (dual). It just seems logical to me that the higher your rev's, the higher the wear and tear?

Time for a 4 stroke chom. (^^) vhpy

Dont know enough about them to advise...just know that the taliban version is F@#king expensive!! :shock:

Chat to Mr Rudd...perhaps you can "trade in"?

Good luck mate...but engine's aside, DLP really does look great with the topless. vhpy
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 am

Do some research on the Verner before you buy...
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

A new kid on the block:

http://www.swissmotorengineering.net/ASE_2.htm

No idea how reliable they will be in the long run, but like Rotax, they started with a popular power sport engine and packaged it for aircraft use. Pricing for the NA version is pretty much the same as a 582.

EDIT: I think it is this engine:

http://www.weber-motor.com/index.php?id=199&L=1

More that 20,000 engines in use. Spares should be available through Polaris dealers.
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Turbo wrote:Check this out, I'm thinking of buying one! http://Www.vernermotor.eu -- the engine you want is the JCV360 it's cost is 3270 euro -- if you want fuel injection, add 800 euro!!

Will definately consider their radial version when it's released!!
Turbo,

I don't think that the JCV360 is the engine to have. It is only 35HP.

The VM133MK is however 83HP and the VM144Hi is 78HP.

Regards,
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Asterix, except for Mr. Rudd you can also speak to Fred Blockland. He has just fitted a BMW motor bike engine on an Aerotrike. He is planning to fly to Vic Falls with this trike. :wink:

Alan, it is not just rpm that pushes up fuel consumption. For instance, my 582 with the old prop, cruising, reved 5000 (solo) and 5200 (dual) and with full power 6450. The fuel consumption was 9.8, 13.5 and 27 l/h respectively. With the new prop the figures are, 4450, 4800, and 6200. The fuel consumptions are the same as they were with the old prop. The EGT's are much lower though, (was 570, now 520 cruising) and yes, the lower rpm and lower EGT's must make the engine last longer. (!!)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:24 pm

HKS 700 TURBO! but eish its expensive, 80horses at 10,000 feet i think...
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm

My 912S has'nt used a drop of oil outside of its regular service intervals neither evidence of any metal in the oil. Cruising at 4900 revs @ 85- 90 miles p/h @ 17 lt or cruising 4500 revs @ 65-80 miles p/h @ around 14 lt per hour.

At 250 hours from sea level to 11 500 ft has'nt farted or burped out of tune once. For me without tecnical skills to suffer trial and error / research and development school fees its the only viable option.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Nothing against the 912 - its proven. But I'm just curious about alternatives. Always kind of fancied the idea of a BMW motor..
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:03 pm

sure Rotax is king at the moment, but thats not to say that there arent any other good reliable options out there. The HKS i will never purchase, they are a ripp off in the automotive game and for a half and engine with a turbo on, they are still a ripp off. Their automotive products are junk, and its the same company that manufactures the aviation products, i personally have had experence with their automotive products and all our customer who share the experience will advise stay far away!

Rotec radial engines (sure depening what plane you fly) are also awesome engines, but expensive. I like the idea of the pricing for the verner option, BUT this must be reliable. There are referrences who use the engines in the USA, who i would contact first, but at the end of the day think about it from a business point of view - a company would not invest more and more money into developing additional engines (verner is now on 6 kinds of engines running, in the market) when you not selling the first one.

So far from what i could find, no failures, poor service related issues or anything else -- maybe not enough of them in the market, who knows. Id be keen to try one, then again i am normally the first to try most things (just look at my brakes and 914 project .... ) 8)

BMW started out making aircraft engines, so i would also consider that, but the 1200cc GS engine is VERY rough, especially when coming onto throttle, I know, i own a 1200GAS adventure, and when you rev the engine, the whole bike moves from the torque -- imagine this in a light plane like a cheetah.... mmmhh :(
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:49 pm

BMW started out making aircraft engines, so i would also consider that, but the 1200cc GS engine is VERY rough, especially when coming onto throttle, I know, i own a 1200GAS adventure, and when you rev the engine, the whole bike moves from the torque -- imagine this in a light plane like a cheetah.... mmmhh :(
BMW is super smooth in the Safari's they are installed in.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:54 am

Speak to Oupa-G before saying too much about the BMW conversion. Oupa-G does his research right, and then gets the product right. Rather speak to him and get the first hand heads-up on the Beemer engine vhpy
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Don't get me wrong - BMW is a giant in the automotive market and have a brilliant product - I own three of their products from bikes to cars, however what I mention about the 1200 fuel injected engine installed in my 2012 1200GS adventure, is factually correct and is rough as hell, so are all my friends who ride the same bike -- revving from idle let me make that clear - blipping the throttle from idle only, once the rpm is up the engine is smooth, and no hiccups at all.

Whether I personally would install it in a plane or not... I probably doubt it as its heavy for some applications and very expensive. The problem there is also whats the TBO?? Who has one of the BMW engines running for extended periods? What's their total hours? Have any other people tested these in other countries where they have possibly accumulated higher hours, performed inspections say at 1000 hours... their experiences?

What planes run these engines? What weight are these planes? Are they used for STOL? What reduction drives are used? Are the combinations reliable?

Compare these questions to proven applications like aerovee, Great Plains, torque master, rotax, rotec, etc etc -- all the questions are answered, tested and proven applications in many countries on many applications. The reduction drives are matched to the engines, built for purpose.

Just some questions I ask when considering an engine - use it, loose it.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Turbo, these engines have been used in aircraft for approx 15 years. There is a slipper clutch that you install that totally eliminates the the vibrations. The installation is not much heavier than a Ritax 914 and it has more power and torque than the 914. TBO? I do not know excactly but they are run on condition and in Germany the easily reach 1500 hours. They cost 1/3 of the 914 and less too overhaul. They are definately a viable costeffective option. I will not come running with my chequebook all a flutter by I will definately give the BM some seious consideration.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success