Namibia Fiasco

Matters of general interest
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Namibia Fiasco

Postby LarryMcG » Sat May 11, 2013 4:52 pm

HI Guys
Well, most of us are back home- the 12 pilots and passengers who went through the Namibia ordeal.
To put an end to some speculation and BS.
We applied for all our correct permits etc, through Hanno in Windhoek
All the correct documentation was sent for Bots and Namibia, including full itineraries etc..
All our ATFS, insurance etc was 100 % in place.
We received a mail, stating –
Herewith your docs,this is not an overflight as such, - it is better.
On these grounds we entered Namibia, via Katima Mulilo, to find the customs and immigration offices closed. No Notam out.
We filed all the required flight plans, and did things by the book.
We proceeded to Rundu, and cleared customs etc there.
Then to Ondangwa, we had a large reception committee already waiting.
They demanded our docs, and when we only had the one piece of paper to show, we were arrested, and jailed.
At no time were we aggressive, rude, etc. I have travelled by motorbike throughout Africa, and understand the procedures.
We then needed a further 4 days, of intensive negotiating by lawyers, embassy staff etc, to be allowed to fly direct out of Namibia, via Windhoek and Keetmanshoop, not via our planned itinerary.
This has been an extreme injustice, through absolutely no fault from our side, and has cost us an enormous amount of money in legal fees, hotels, lost accommodation paid for in full etc. Not to mention stress for all involved.
Tensions are still running high, but we are relieved to be home. It seems our biggest problem was a group of middle aged white men, landing in Northern Namibia on Cassinga day. The military and police thought they were being invaded again.
Cheers
Larry
Still Flying
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Namibia Fiasco

Postby Boet » Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Jaaaaa swaer. And so you did`nt pass go, and you did`nt collect your 200, but at least you got your "Get-out-of-jail-free" card. The rest of Africa seems to be shifting to down -under, and then you missed your visit to Loeriesfontein Intn`l as well. :( Oh bugger. :shock: Glad you ok`es are back safe. (^^)
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Tue May 14, 2013 7:57 am

:shock:

WOW!

I have also been through on a bike, and have never have a problem.
Byron Kirkland
Dunesand
First solo

Postby Dunesand » Fri May 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

In addition to Larry’s post, I would like to add some factual information as indeed I am the person who applied for overflight and landing authorization for Larry and his group.

- I have been assisting others for many years since DCA’s respective offices is close my workplace. I do however have to drive there each and every time. I have been doing this for free and as a favour ever since.
- When I received the applications from Larry, I handed them in at the same place as usual expecting the docs a day or 2 later.
- I was however phones the following day by another DCA office stating that ZU aircraft can no longer access Namibia since they are non certified.
- This was all due to a fatal accident in the north of Namibia of an illegal ZU aircraft that supplied false info on their overflight application – thank you to them to start off with.
- I immediately got into my vehicle, drove to DCA’s other office and met with officials I already knew for a number of years(aircraft registrations etc).
- They told me that Mican should endorse the overflight applications as Mican is partly designated by law to regulate non certified aircraft in Namibia. This was new to me(after 13 years of involvement).
- I subsequently drove back to my office, started typing out a letter of approval for each and every application based on valid South African ATF and registration certificate I had copies of.
- I went drove back to DCA and handed them 12 plus a few other’s separate applications, each nicely stapled complete with clear approval and request addressed to the director DCA to issue relevant overflight and landing authorizations based on the validity of the SA documents.
- I specifically asked what will be issued and were informed that an Namibian Authority To Fly(ATF) will be issued. I asked wheter this is sufficient, I was told YES.
- Not 100% sure I drove back to my office, fetched a copy of someone else’s previous letter of overflight approval, took it to DCA, showed it to them and asked wheter I will get something similar. The answer was NO, an Namibian ATF will be issued. An ATF seemed in any case a “stronger” document than merely a overflight clearance and I accepted all to be in order.
- WHAT MORE COULD I HAVE DONE??
- The Namibian ATF’s was subsequently issued, with great effort of phone calls making sure they will be issued in time before I went on leave and some of the other guys starting their journey to Namibia.
- I was sure that all was in order.
- Then all HELL broke loose – by that time I was in the US and not reachable all the time. I did have contact with the director DCA later on(at HUGE personal cellular expense I might add) and I supplied her with full breakdown of the above.

I am really sorry for what has happened and can’t even imagine what the people being locked up went through.
Being Cassinga day definitely added up to the forces’ reaction.
I will have a serious meeting with the director DCA making her aware of my letters clearly requesting relevant authorizations.

Regrettably for some, depending on the outcome of my meeting with the director, I am seriously considering distancing myself of any such paperwork and favours from now on. I have always been doing this at own expense, the most recent actions costing me personally well over a thousand rand. I also have received subtle accusations of blame, I really don’t need it. We will however discuss within Mican and probably decide how to assist in future.

I trust the above is clear enough.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please contact me at details below.

Kind regards,

Hanno Snyman
Mican: Training Officer/PRO
hannos@agra.com.na
tel: +264 81 127 5689
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Hanno
Thanks for the update and I don't think these guys will blame you.
At our last Misasa AGM I have raised exactly this point. MISASA/Aeroclub must liaise with your CAA/MICAN and get this sorted. Why make it difficult for our MISASA Pilots!
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
tigger_na
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby tigger_na » Fri May 17, 2013 12:44 pm

If all of a sudden DCA Namibia decides that they won't issue overflight and landing authorizations to ZU aircraft, should they not (and did they?) issue at least a NOTAM? This sounds to me like a total knee-jerk reaction, without following the correct procedures at all, by the DCA of Namibia? And if you are in the possession of an ATF, does this not automatically include overflight and landing authorization? I mean, what good is it if you are allowed to fly, but not allowed to *over*fly, nor land?
Dunesand
First solo

Postby Dunesand » Fri May 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Tigger,

Exactly why it seemed that and Namibia ATF is more pwerfull document than a mere overflight letter.
The ATF is what is says - Authority To Fly but is says "validated to enable the holder to exercise its priviledges on the Authority to Fly private certified aircraft type registered in South Africa.
Whether these priviledges is still only valid in SA might be the exact grey area - I really don't know what an SA ATF in fact says.
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 pm

What worries me is the fact that we have 2 pilots on their way to Namibia right now on this Reach for a dream (Open Cockpit) flight. What sort of reception can they expect in Namibia? They have some paperwork, I am sure but will it be excepted in Namibia? They are flying Trikes!! Are they also going to end up in jail?

Follow their flight here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21008&start=90
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri May 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Air Hog wrote: Are they also going to end up in jail?
Not if Oom Paul has his tent poles! ^

As far as I'm aware, having spoken to Louis yesterday their paperwork is sorted (including their overflight permits) (!!)
Dunesand
First solo

Postby Dunesand » Fri May 17, 2013 3:07 pm

That is correct,
Paul and Louis's applications was among those submitted with Larry's group.
They heard about the fiasco and decided to wait around Upington until the final overflight is issued.
I was once again with DCA this morning(never stops) and saw the application reached the correct office in my absence.
The overflight was issued about 2 hours ago and I mailed it to them.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Let me here thank and congratulate all individuals who whether offer free assistance, volunteer to sit on Misasa, Aeroclub or any flying club committees to provide assistance and service to recreational pilots. Sometimes we take this for granted and believe we're entitled to be served.

Incidents like this where reliance was made in good faith on an individual who acted on good faith in trying to help someone should never have happened. It suits city hall to embrace volunteer bodies to help facilitate issues until the sh$t hits the fan then you and your mate trying to help you are on your own.

Too often pilots are requesting advice on licencing, radio Icasa issues, Authority to Fly issues, cross border info, clarification of flying over what beach e.t.c. to laymen instead of this being channelled through to Aeroclub/ Raasa/ CAA and a response been given on a Raasa/ CAA letterhead which should serve as gospel.

There should be dedicated trained individual officials appointed to head various facets of flying to which various inquiries could be sent and that person should endeavour to respond with an official endorsement.

Go to any five instructors with the same question and you'll get different answers. This radio licence crap and cross border can/ can't / use an agent exists because no one is accountable.

Any inquiries should be sent to Aeroclub who should facilitate the enquiry via CAA and ensure a timeous and formal response on a letterhead to which they will share accountability in the event of an issue.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
PieterKotze
Ready for the first flight

Postby PieterKotze » Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Well I for one has communicated with Hanno on a permit arrangement, and I was embarrassed by the Microlighters and Avcommers comments on this forum and I personally distance myself from it, as I know at some stage I am going to meet him and he is going to judge me based on the sh*t that has been flung on these sites! As previously posted, us Saffirican think we own Africa and if I read that there are aviators that 1 st had to fly over places they were many years ago, I knew!!!!!! I am one of those guys from many years ago and I am ashamed!! Casinga Day, some oke making comments in afrikaans because he thinks he is in a foreign country, etc etc. I have just returned from another week in Nam, all the way to Kaokoveld, Ruacana, Rundu etc.,(yes by road, will be soon by air) people are fantastic, friendly and accomodating, IF YOU TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT!!!!! So guys there is no fiasco as this thread is suggesting, just peops that were in the wrong place at the wrong time and would normally gotten away with it, but????

Hanno, you and your Association has been great to all us Saffricans, please continue, and I am throwing in my weight for you to receive the same curticies from our Associations.

Thank you

Pieter
Air Pollution
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 pm

I take my hat off for Hanno, at least he is trying to help. I salute you Sir. He only tried to help.

I still say that MISASA/Aeroclub must liaise with the CAA in Namibia and get the rules and regs that we have to comply with. Namibia is such a beautiful country to visit and what better way can you get than to fly it. But we would like to do it in a legal way, not being afraid that you are going to end up in jail.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm

[quoteI still say that MISASA/Aeroclub must liaise with the CAA in Namibia and get the rules and regs that we have to comply with][/quote]

Aeroclub should forward the inquiry to CAA who should get the correct info from Namibia and pass the detailed requirements back to Aeroclub to distribute their members.

Hanno should only reccomend the best spots, beer and braai.
Last edited by Tumbleweed on Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Dunesand
First solo

Postby Dunesand » Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 pm

OK Guys,

Herewith the correct and COMPLETE procedure(I really don't know why I am still making the effort).

For ZU (non certified aircraft)

1) Complete an Overflight and Landing Authorisation application - (available in PDF format)
2) Complete the form with as much info possible - don't worry if you have to deviate to much from initial route or plan - rather make sure you have ample period for overflight period applied for than exact routing - who can in any case cover 600km in a day in a trike in headwind?? (Mike Blythe/Michael Horrelou(rip), you not allowed to answer this :-))
3) Attach a CLEAR scanned copy of your aircraft's registration certificate as well as valid ATF(Authority To Fly).
4) Send these documents to DCA directly or anyone willing to help at Mican.
5) Mican will most probably have to write an approval to attach to the application(since they are designated by law).
6) On this side application will be done for a Namibian ATF(with Mican's approval letter I would imagine).
7) Once this is done, the initial application with NAM issued ATF taken to another office who will issue the Overflight and Landing Authorisation.
8) This process can take 2 days or 5 days.
9) Above all, we really just want to help - because we can - however as of recent it became clear that charity starts at home.............(I also take beer as payment)

Cheers guys and enjoy your flights.

Hanno
MICAN
hannos@agra.com.na
+264 81 127 5689