Open Cockpit - Namibie- 2013.

Matters of general interest
Louis Cole
Whats the right frequency?

Re: Namibie 2013

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi guys, we’re back at last and my password has been restored. Blue Max landed at Microland on Thursday and I touched down on Friday morning at Eagle’s Creek. It was quite a relief when I landed as I was very anxious when I took off into a stiff head wind doing 23 nm/hr. at Jakkalsdans for my final 142 nm leg because it was so near yet so far. (^^)

Ons het ‘n afstand van 5200 km./2807 nm.in 74 ure gevlieg en ‘n total van 900 liter petrol en 18 liter olie gebruik. Ons langste dag was die 269 nm. (529 km.)been van Lidfontein af tot by Keetmanshoop wat ons in 5 hr 20 min. afgele het. Die stadigste spoed wat ek gemeet het was so22 nm/uur en die vinnigste so 84 nm./ uur.

There was a lot of discussion on the forum about Namibia and its people and in my opinion I can only say that Namibia must rank amongst the best microlight destinations in the world and the people we encountered must be the most generous and hospitable I have ever met. People like Hanno Snyman of Windhoek, Chris & Marisse Fourie, Christo & Deona Marais and Poena & Connie Olivier of Walvis Bay, Klaas & Maryke Oberholzer of Libertas Botha Jansen of Reveille, Piet & Gerda Brunert of Goldene Aue, Dirk Oelofse of Rundu , Alwyn Jordaan and many others treated us with generosity that was almost embarrassing at times.
Namibia is a land of such contrasts and natural beauty that I can only shake my head in disbelief when I watch the video footage I took. It certainly challenged me on evey level as a pilot. We flew over terrain and in conditions that I had never encountered before but learnt a lot from it.
The best legs were the 190 nm. stretch along the coast from Meob Bay to Henties Bay where we flew in windy and misty but perfect flying conditions over seal colonies and ship wrecks sometimes at 20 ‘above the sea. Another unforgettable leg was the 75 nm. along the Orange River from Kleinbegin to Ais-Ais including the entire Fish River Canyon.

Ons het ook ons “fair share” van rowwe omstandighede getref en die ergste was ongetwyfeld die 30 nm. been van Duwisib Kasteel tot by Hammerstein. Die “control bar” was bloot net om aan vas te klou en dit het soms gevoel of die Rotax geen rol gespeel het nie.Dog kon ons die trikes neersit presies waar ons moes en wou ten spite van die omstandighede. (**)

The stretch from Betanien to Helmeringhausen was also everything but pleasant. We further flew over some very hostile and unforgiving terrain where there were at times absolutely no landing options and we were forced to put our complete trust in the little Rotax engines. The 35 nm. leg from Sossusvlei to Meob Bay stands out as one where there were just huge dunes, no roads and zero recovery options. (-) The fact that our adviser, Dr. Chris Fourie recommended that we take enough water with us for two days, didn’t fill us with too much confidence either. From Uis to Outjo to Goldene Aue we flew 284nm. over Mopani bushveld for as far as the eye could see and again we were at the mercy of our trusty machines. (-) From Narubis to Ariamsvlei we flew over mountains and terrain that had been subjected to extreme volcanic action that really made us very uncomfortable and relieved when it was over. vhpy

Ek is tans besig om deur die ure se video materiaal te werk en sal later probeer iets pos sodra ek klaar is.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
25 52.869' S 027 54.940' E
(http://www.opencockpit.co.za)
"Reach for your dreams"
leprechaun
First solo

Postby leprechaun » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 am

Well done guys , grat to have you back , now what about n lekker storie for the mag , (**) Leprechaun (^^)
hermand
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby hermand » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:53 pm

nothing new to add.......
Louis Cole

Re: Namibia 2013

Postby Louis Cole » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Baie dankie aan almal wat ons gevolg en ondersteun het oor die afgelope 2 maande en 'n spesiale dankie aan almal wat bygedra het dat ons ons teiken van 25 drome vir Reach for a Dream kon bereik. Besonderhede op Flying Events. Dankie Herman en Marius vir julle bydraes. Sal kyk of ek so teen vlg. week 'n paar video clips en fotos kan pos.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Some pics of our trip in no particular order.
Attachments
Balonne oor duine.jpg
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 am

Some more pics of our trip up to Sesriem.
Attachments
Ausenkehr campsite.jpg
Balonne naby Sossusvlei.jpg
Berg na Sesriem (2).jpg
Berg na Sesriem.jpg
Berge by Witwater Oos.jpg
CEX & berge.jpg
CEX oor rivier.jpg
CGH over dunes 1.jpg
CGH over dunes 2.jpg
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Ek het nou uiteindelik deur baie ure se video material gewerk en dit geredigeer in so 12 episodes. Sal so met verdrag die res van die videos pos. Bring baie aangename herrinneringe terug en kan amper nie glo dat 'n jaar terug is wat ons begin beplan het nie. Gat begin al klaar weer jeuk vir 'n lang trip en hoop om óf die Suid-kus of Mosambiek'trip te kan mee maak.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYenF4KkfpQ)
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
pit bull
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby pit bull » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:07 pm

DAG LOUIS,
die video van jou en B/max is mooi, ek kan myself net indink ............ dit moes n ''helse'' belewenis gewees het!!
o ja en die musiek is ook reg gekies.
sal wag vir die ander video's

groete

veilig vlieg

pit bull. (^^)
Last edited by pit bull on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed By THE BEST.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Louis, thanks for sharing your footage....you do however owe me a beer for making me listen to ABBA for 11 min's! :lol: Next time call me first so I can talk you out of this madness.... ##

Just kidding.... (^^)

Spectacular scenery.... jou "orbit" oor die Oranje Rivier laat die trane in my oe begin opwel. ^ :wink:

For me still a dream my friend.... cant wait to see the next episode. (!!)

Thanks bud.
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Bundy wrote:Louis, thanks for sharing your footage....you do however owe me a beer for making me listen to ABBA for 11 min's! :lol: Next time call me first so I can talk you out of this madness.... ##

Just kidding.... (^^)

Spectacular scenery.... jou "orbit" oor die Oranje Rivier laat die trane in my oe begin opwel. ^ :wink:

For me still a dream my friend.... cant wait to see the next episode. (!!)

Thanks bud.
Alan the beer's on me at Kitty Hawk this weekend however by the end of Part 12 I'll probably owe you a case. Just don't give up on your Two Rivers dream. In Part 2 & 3 you''ll get an idea of what it is going to be like. Apart from the leg over the Namib and along the coast to Walvis Bay, this was one of my highlights. Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYo_vca27sA
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:48 am

vhpy
Goed gedoen Louis en Fransa, dit moes harde werk gewees het.
My kennis ontbreek my om so-iets saam te stel, sal seker vorentoe hulp moet verkry.!!
Louis ek stuur jou n persoonlike mail. hoop jy kry dit.
Sal jou seker ook sien by Kitty Hawk.
Paul. :)
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

pit bull wrote:DAG LOUIS,
die video van jou en B/max is mooi, ek kan myself net indink ............ dit moes n ''helse'' belewenis gewees het!!
o ja en die musiek is ook reg gekies.
sal wag vir die ander video's

groete

veilig vlieg

pit bull. (^^)
Dankie Pitbull ek kan jou verseker dat dit vir beide Paul en ek 'n helse ondervinding was. Ek het die musiek net vir jou gekies. Bundy gaan hopelik ook eendag so oud soos ons word en dan gaan sy seun,Troy ook eendag deur sy "playlist" moet worstel. :lol:
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
Louis Cole

Postby Louis Cole » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Blue Max wrote:vhpy
Goed gedoen Louis en Fransa, dit moes harde werk gewees het.
My kennis ontbreek my om so-iets saam te stel, sal seker vorentoe hulp moet verkry.!!
Louis ek stuur jou n persoonlike mail. hoop jy kry dit.
Sal jou seker ook sien by Kitty Hawk.
Paul. :)

Die harde werk was om 50 dae se herinneringe te reduseer tot net oor 'n uur se hoogtepunte en nie die benoude oomblike of die ure se tonekrul lekkerkry sensasie te kan weergee nie. Sien jou by Kitty Hawk.
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
"Reach for your dreams"
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Louis Cole wrote:Ek het nou uiteindelik deur baie ure se video material gewerk en dit geredigeer in so 12 episodes. Sal so met verdrag die res van die videos pos. Bring baie aangename herrinneringe terug en kan amper nie glo dat 'n jaar terug is wat ons begin beplan het nie. Gat begin al klaar weer jeuk vir 'n lang trip en hoop om óf die Suid-kus of Mosambiek'trip te kan mee maak.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYenF4KkfpQ)
(!!) (!!) (!!)
Baie nice (^^) (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Louis Cole wrote: Bundy gaan hopelik ook eendag so oud soos ons word en dan gaan sy seun,Troy ook eendag deur sy "playlist" moet worstel. :lol:
:lol:

Chom...if my little terrorist's current love of rock music is anything to go by....I'm not too worried. (!!)

He had to take a CD with his favourite song on to school last year for a class party....his teacher did not enjoy ManOwar's music at all. :lol: