Meier Warf: Historic Warbirds restoration

Matters of general interest
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Meier Warf: Historic Warbirds restoration

Postby okflyer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:35 pm

For friends of historic warbirds:
The famous Maier Warf (Bremgarten, Black Forest) has updated its webside.

http://www.meiermotors.com/de/news.html

It is mostly in German, but got a lot of english content, too.
Definatly worth checking.
Been there twice. It is incredible when they are doing checkrides with a 12 cylinder Mustang just behind you, asking politly if you could let them pass to get to the RW, because they fear to overheat the 40 liter engine. (despite the amount of liquid gold they are burning)

Pictures I took
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Meier Warf: Historic Warbirds restoration

Postby Bundy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 am

Dude...it's a Mustang...Forever Awesome....the end! (!!)
Dusty Eagle
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Dusty Eagle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Just in those pics there appears to be two Mustangs, a Chipmonk and what may be a Beech Staggerwing, besides other projects. I will go and have a look.

Ok Flyer, thanks for the link, by the way, the RR or Packard Merlin only has 26L...but thats still a lot of fuel per revolution :lol: .
nico
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Dusty Eagle wrote:. Ok Flyer, thanks for the link, by the way, the RR or Packard Merlin only has 26L...but thats still a lot of fuel per revolution :lol: .
Dusty Eagle: Dankie for the info, still big pots to move.
What a beauty:

But I like this one as well (check the other radial engine in the left corner)
Spotless restoration.They are rebuilding from pieces. German craftsmanship at ist best.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 am

Sheesh...the pics get better and better!

Agreed... that Bi plane also looks magnificent. (But not quite :lol: ...sorry I'm bias, I make no excuses!)

Just look at that workshop...like a surgery...only cleaner :)

So nice to see some classic aeries given a second chance to do what they were created to do.
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 am

Awesome. Just wonder if there are some Spit's also in the restoration process. That is my favourite Warbird by far. The biplane looks like a Steerman?

Immaculate facility...but that is the German way..."I only want to hear ONE click" However; at first glance I thought the facility was in the States. The builders that I have met there are just as immaculate and pedantic. My brother being one of them...you can eat of his epoxy coated workshop floor...and nothing is just left lying around...and everything is on rubber wheels so that it moves easily without damaging anything. (!!)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

you can eat of his epoxy coated workshop floor...and nothing is just left lying around...and everything is on rubber wheels so that it moves easily without damaging anything
It is so nice to see facilities like this.
Byron Kirkland
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 pm

You must check out Rudi Greylings setup! Skies Rudi.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 pm

mulderpm wrote:Awesome. Just wonder if there are some Spit's also in the restoration process. That is my favourite Warbird by far. The biplane looks like a Steerman?
Yes mate, it is a Stearman
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 pm

mulderpm wrote: Immaculate facility...but that is the German way..."I only want to hear ONE click" However; at first glance I thought the facility was in the States.
(!!) I do not want to insult the USA (or their friends). But the last repair shop in the US I have seen with my own eyes (Arlington Texas) looked like this

-xX Unthinkable in a certified German facility. Especially not in this part of the country where the Swabian "Kehrwoche" is common. (House owners are supposed to clean the street in front of their house or the stairways in front of their flat once a week spotless clean, not because is is mandatory by law, but mandatory to avoid to be outcasted by neighbors. Rumors say: to be tared and featherd has been an accepted punishment) :lol: