Landing fees ...

Matters of general interest
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Landing fees ...

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm

The topic/question was "Who still charges landing fees and why ...?"

I can assure you that we at Brits will charge R 300 a shot if PC12's and King Airs started making FABS their daily destination to drop off mining execs. It becomes commercial and they need to pay for the convenience of a well maintained runway, club and facilities.

But when I landed at Harrismith (municipal I think ?), which had no windsock, I battle to get a spot to tether the plane, can't see a cold Coke (or a tap with water) anywhere, but when I am about to leave some oxygen thief comes crawling out of the woodworks with a carbon copy book to demand R 40.00 = :evil:

BTW, Brits solely relies on membership fees, Avgas sales and a value added (I hope) atmosphere. So far, so good. Add no landing fees and I think this makes us a rather attractive GA destination.

As for our area, Aviators Paradise, Rosslyn Microflyers, Aeroden, Kokoriba and Northam are all fee free.
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 pm

We don't charge landing fees but I can tell you guys one thing and that is that a fly-in does not make you money. You end up paying in. I for one have no issue with paying for landing if the place is well maintained. Atleast then I know it will most probably not go to sh&*^t and I will be able to come back later again. A tractor cost money, Sipho driving it wants his share and so the list goes on so if a runway has to charge to keep it open then by all means BUT if it's a f&%^%ng rip off like I hear now at Phalaborwa then they can keep their runway and they will not see me. Sorry Willie (-) :wink: ek wou vir jou kom kuier.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Would like to add that I don't see the logic that most pilots are willing to pay for a R50 coffee but they do not want to pay R40 and get the coffee for free. Why the resistnce against paying for what you use and will probably want to use again in future.
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm

KFA, what's up with Phalaborwa ?
Roel Jansen
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Somebody posted a couple of post back that you cannot land there whithout permission anymore. Apparently there is a fine, anything from R400 upwards..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20388
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 am

Like I said, I dont mind paying a (reasonable as I put) fee, unfortunately there are fields that simply will not survive without this, fully understandable! If pilots know they will have to pay then it's their choice to go or not....quite simple really.

I do think Africa in particular got dished some really unnecessary flak here, I make it clear that I was and am not part of that Africa and I know how ungrateful a job it is to try and organise events. :wink:
The sport needs events to generate interest and cammeraderie, its a pity you got given the rough end of a stick on your Thread. :(

The "fine" issued to Splinter for not getting prior clearance after having to divert to a runway (not planned) is ludacrous if you ask me.... :evil:
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 am

There are two sides to this argument and it is easy to argue to the point that one could say both sides are correct.

We have been operating the Uitenhage airfield as an association for about 12 years now. It is a municipal airfield, but we lease it from them, and are basically also responsible for maintaining the airfield. We have 4 grass runways with the shortest at about 1100m. Cost of just cutting the runways is a massive expense on it's own, not to mention trying to keep them maintained.

We took the decision at the very beginning that our ethos was to encourage flying in our area, hence no landing fees will be charged to recreational visitors. We are lucky that the commercial operators that use our airfield daily (those not based at the airfield), do contribute to our costs and we have a flat quarterly fee we charge them.

It is already time consuming task to be on such a committee/airfield management, so it does irk me a bit when the suggestions come forward like - cook us breakfast, arrange an event to raise funds - hot dang okes - the management are already busy enough without you suggesting more work for them so you can land for niks. :!:
Newguy
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Newguy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 am

The way I see it is that there should be some reciprocity. Sure there are costs but other clubs have been able to arrange reciprocity why not microlights? Especially for unmanned airfields.
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Opinions seem quite varied on charge or not to charge or how much.
We are very lucky here at Munster. The owner does the general mantenance, and flynn and I keep the runway in (I feel good condition) We dont charge landing fees, but if anyone stays over for the night we charge 60.00. Of which 50.00 goes to the owner and 10.00 for the fuel pool. Flynn and I are the only ones flying from here at the moment, so we have to chip in at times to help.
(^^) (^^) (^^)
Vernon.
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 pm

:o
Ag sorry my good friends.
You made me realize that there are good reason to charge landingfees under certain conditions and hopefully only to larger aircraft.
My judgement regarding this might have been influenced due to me having been charged in the order of R200 after I have landed at a runway near Malalaan.
The runway belongs to a sugar company and for a year they send me an account every month..
On another occasion we were quoted R50 each landing fees after having booked at a lodge for one night , including two meals. (and many drinks .)
That also sound stupid to me because we were going to support the lodge and now have to pay to use the runway whilst guests who arrive by vehcle do not pay extra for driving on the tarr..!!!
Maar nou ja elke ou maak soos hy wil..
Sorry aan Africa dat ek so kras was..!!!
I do understand better..
Asterix nou hoef jy nie meer in die kryt te klim om my te pannelbeat nie..!!!!
En Tumbleweed jyn kan maar die brandy reghou as ons weer daar uitslaan..
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm

My judgement regarding this might have been influenced due to me having been charged in the order of R200 after I have landed at a runway near Malalaan.
(S)Lowveld pilots from Nelspruit and Komatie must correct me, but isn't the Malelane strip a TSB (Transvaal Sugar Board ?) strip ? Exclusively built for their Lear Jet many years ago ? I battle to recall a discussion I had with a Nelspruit pilot, but he had very few good words about TSB. That is if it is the same strip.
Roel Jansen
Hadams
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Hadams » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 am

Yes the runway there is the property of TSB, but we fly there once a year for our annual bush bash and with prior arrangement they charge for landing and parking fees, to the tune of R170 per airplane for the three days. But if you look carefully, there is an AVIS rent a car on the premesis with 24 hour armed guard looking after your pride and joy!

For that it is a very nice airfield and to trouble at all to pay the little fee they charge!

Maybe i'm wrong, but Rand charges R70 for landing fees, and Harvards is not exactly the cheapest breakfast around either!?

My 2c w.
Henry Adams
ZU-CEA Raptor Trike
ZU-FTV Sling
Panorama

To be old and wise, one must first be young and stupid! And some of us refuse to grow up!
lefssa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby lefssa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 am

Bottom line is that if the owner of the airfield wishes to charge landing fees it is his choice as it is your choice to land there or not. If you don't want to pay his landing fees don't go there. Runways cost money to maintain, this must come from somewhere.

MOST people that land at Hoedspruit pay their landing fees. I think that the landing fees at Hoedspruit is very reasonable and ALL the money collected goes into maintaining the runway.
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Hadams wrote:Yes the runway there is the property of TSB, but we fly there once a year for our annual bush bash and with prior arrangement they charge for landing and parking fees, to the tune of R170 per airplane for the three days. But if you look carefully, there is an AVIS rent a car on the premesis with 24 hour armed guard looking after your pride and joy!

For that it is a very nice airfield and to trouble at all to pay the little fee they charge!

My 2c w.
This sounds like real value for money ! (^^)
Roel Jansen