Getting started ...

Matters of general interest
argom
Slow starter

Getting started ...

Postby argom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

Hi all, no,not a troll or a bot ... just an ARGOM (Anally retentive grumpy old man) After going around in circles through severl websites and getting nowhere,anyone with a short concise answer would be appreciated.

I want to fly a motorised 2 seater paraglider. Frame, wheels motor and a chute. Like so..

I want to build my own one, then fly it. Obviously I will buy all the bits and bats and bolts and motor an chute, but I have some unique requirements on the frame (Mountings for rockets and a gattling gun ... hahah ... no just kidding.)

Right, So

Step 1 ... The frame. Who do I submit the design to. Mostly carbon fiber construction with ally bitties. How does it get certified? What are the max limits, weight, fuel,power ... and so on.

Step 2 ... Training, who, where (Cape or Jhb) how many hours, how strict is the medical? (Am type 2 trauma induced diabetic, which is kept under control with diet and zero medication, and paraplegic 1 leg dont work and the other sort of works so I can steer - ex military injury) What will it cost, using my own craft. Like to fly, want to go simple, The second seat is actually to carry my wheelchair and cargo, fuel, and party pack to destinations. But the second seat is actually also for whatever instructor sees chance to get me going. Dont see chance for ppl and rudders and brakes and things but I think I can handle a trolleywheel.

I like the idea of flying with my chute already deployed.

So, thats it in a nutshell. Quick summary ... Basic steps getting from a wheelchair on the ground to a wheelchair in the air with a motor and chute attached.

Guess you can see why I am not finding the answers I want on the net.
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Getting started ...

Postby Dish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:33 am

Welcome Argom... shew, thats quite an undertaking to 'start' out with.... apologies for not being able to help But I am sure that someone will be able to point you in the right direction... (up)

enjoy the forum and fly safe
RV9
DISH
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 am

Hey argom, welcome to this world of 'flying'.
At the outset you have quite a tall order, but definitely not impossible. There are one or two of those buggies flying around in the country so can be done.
To start with call Keith Piggersgill (www.xplorer.co.za) (or google him) who is an instuctor for powered paragliding and hopefully he can assist or point you in the right direction.

To start with I would stay away from building your own buggy, as the ratio between weight, canopy, motor etc is quite involved and might be a battle that you might not want to have while your still sorting out your disabilities.

Nice toy, but very slow and cumbersome.
Good luck.
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Conrad
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Conrad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am

Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 am

Under Aircraft for sale on this forum is a Hennies 0835724729 trying to sell a similar kind of buggy. He might be able to point you in some direction too. (^^) (^^) (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
WillemG
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WillemG » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm

kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm

If in Gauteng, then Tony Gibson is the man to talk to.

082 948 2001 or tony@ppg.co.za
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200