Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 period

Matters of general interest
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 period

Postby John.com » Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Bundy wrote:Just to clarify the issue around the ATF application....(^^)
Hi Alan,

From when did the ICASA radio license requirement for ATF from RAASA come into play? I have just had my ATF renewed (Feb) and was not asked for my radio license.

Thanks,

John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Fri May 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Well...arent you lucky Sir? (^^)

Not too sure John...just clarifying the issue from Raasa's point of view....it is definately listed as a requirement on their website.

If they dont ask for it....no problem :wink:
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Fri May 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Bundy wrote:Well...arent you lucky Sir? (^^)

Not too sure John...just clarifying the issue from Raasa's point of view....it is definately listed as a requirement on their website.

If they dont ask for it....no problem :wink:
Met Eish! (^^)
John Comley

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Dobbs
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Sun May 05, 2013 10:27 am

The ATF doc clearly say that if the radio is a hand held, no licence required.

Still waiting for some movement at ICASA - sent in the required docs some months ago, got an automated email saying that they are sending out invoices, 6 week later sent another email requesting an update, still no response - finally after another two weeks of silence I just paid R120.00 :evil:
Peter.L.
Ready for the first flight

Postby Peter.L. » Sun May 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Dobbs,
The ATF doc clearly say that if the radio is a hand held, no licence required.
If the ATF documents say that then they are totally incorrect. Are you sure you have not perhaps misunderstood the requirements? If you are correct, please give me a contact person and his/her telephone number or better yet an email address so I can advise them of the requirements of the radio regs. It would also be helpful if a reference to the relevant section in the RAASA documentation was provided.

ALL radio equipment capable of transmitting on the aeronautical band is required to be licensed, either on an individual basis (such as a handheld for use on a microlight) or as part of a fixed installation on larger aircraft or as a ground station. There are no exceptions.

Regards,

Peter
Dobbs

Postby Dobbs » Sun May 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Peter, all you have to do is go to the RAASA site, look up ATF forms and Form Number: RA 24.2 (b),point 3.
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Sun May 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Dobbs,
look up ATF forms and Form Number: RA 24.2 (b),point 3.
That point merely says that you are not required to submit a copy of the radio licence in the case of a handheld radio. It does not say that you don't have to have a licence for a handheld radio, which in fact you do have to have. All that section is doing is recognising the fact that a particular aircraft may not have a fixed radio installation of its own but a handheld, possibly individually licensed to the owner and not normally part of the aircraft's installed equipment, is used whenever the aircraft is operated.

I emphasize the requirement of the Electronic Communications Act, 2005 (Act No.36 of 2005), read with the current Radio Frequency Spectrum Regulations, 2011, that, with certain exceptions, none of which are applicable to the aeronautical band, all two-way radiocommunication equipment is required to be licensed. If any document not issued by ICASA says or infers otherwise, that document is incorrect and should be disregarded.

Regards,

Peter
Dobbs

Postby Dobbs » Sun May 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Peter, thank you for that - I will personally contact Willem at RAASA and request that they change the wording.

I do not follow the logic that merely because it is a hand held, you do not have to supply proof? Anyway, ours is not to question vhpy
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Sun May 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Roger that, I'll be interested to learn the logic behind it too!
Louis Cole
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Louis Cole » Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 am

Peter thanks for your and Elzana van Loggerenberg's assistance. I picked Blue Max's and my licence up today and to you doubtful Thomases out there, I can categorically state that they do exist. The first one I've seen in 18 years. We're off on Friday with valid radio licences. (^^)
Loneranger
ZU-CEX Raptor 618
25 52.869' S 027 54.940' E
(http://www.opencockpit.co.za)
"Reach for your dreams"
Dobbs

Postby Dobbs » Tue May 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Louis, do you have any contact details of someone at ICASA that I could use, as I also would like to have a legitimate licence, rather than just a proof of payment slip.
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 pm

We're off on Friday with valid radio licences. (^^)
Grrr8 Stuff Louis! Hope you have a super-magnificent trip!

Peter
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Dobbs, try Elzana van Loggerenberg on 011-5663333 or evanloggerenberg@icasa.org.za

Peter
Peter.L.

Postby Peter.L. » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 pm

John.com (and anyone else who is also battling to find the application forms)

Every time I try to copy the link to this forum it gets corrupted and won't work so I'm going to give you the steps one by one starting from the Icasa Home Page.

To get to the HP, the web address is http://www.icasa.org.za Once this page opens you will see a horizontal index line at the top of the page which starts with "Home". Scroll along this line until you reach "Legislation & Regulations". A "drop-down" list should appear. Scroll down to "Engineering & Technology". Another list appears. Move across to "Radio Frequency Spectrum Licensing" which is first item on the new list. Yet another list appears. Scroll to "Spectrum Application Forms" and click on this. Another page should appear with a list of documents in Green print on the right of your screen. This list contains just about all the application forms needed to apply for any Spectrum licence or modification thereto. The Aircraft Application is 8th from the top. Click on it and you will get the option to download it or view it. Download the form for completion and keep a copy on your PC or Laptop (or Tablet) for future reference and/or mailing to other prospective applicants. Note - the form cannot as yet be completed or submitted on-line

The documents containing the application and licence fees appear elsewhere on the website and are just as easy (?) to find, so to recap, the application fee is R480.00 and the licence fee for 1 year is R120.00; 2 years is R230.00; 3 years is R329.00; 4 years is R419.00 and 5 years (the maximum obtainable) is R501.00. Icasa's banking details may be found at the foot of the Home Page under the title "Telecommunications Licensing:" Use the aircraft's registration letters as the Reference number.

Sorry it took a while John but better late than never I guess.

Ciao for now,

Peter
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby John.com » Thu May 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Peter.L. wrote:John.com (and anyone else who is also battling to find the application forms)
Great help, thanks Peter! (^^)

Perhaps just a final word on precisely what to fill in on THIS section of the application form:
ICASA Form.jpg
Besides 'Make & Model' the rest is somewhat challenging! Also, would a radio be in the 'Other Equipment' section?

I am surprised that 'Serial #' is not asked for!

Thanks again!

John.com
John Comley